Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) End Stage Fright
End Stage Fright
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#28626 - 09/29/04 05:00 PM What's the best baby grand with a Disc Player for under $15K
Trooper94 Offline

Loc: Paris, TX
I'm new to piano - start taken lessons with the family. I saw these baby grands with a Disc Player on them:

1) Story & Clark 4'11" w/ Pianomation - $11K
2) Samick 4'11" w/ PianoDisc - $11K
3) Young Chang PG-150 4'11" w/ PianoDisc - $15K
4) Yamaha Disklavier DB1G 4'11" - $15K

I think the S&C and Samick are the same: Samick. What are the major differences between YC and Yamaha?

Thank you in advance.

(ads 568) Hailun Pianos

piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#28627 - 09/29/04 06:01 PM Re: What's the best baby grand with a Disc Player for under $15K
Piano Peddler Offline

Trooper94 (As in Texas Highway Patrol)?

The four models you mention are a pretty good comparison of entry-level baby grands with player systems; all nearly the same size and comparable features.

The Story & Clark Model 152 is 5'0" (big deal- one inch longer than the other three). The piano is assembled in Dongbei, China and then shipped to Seneca, PA, where it is uncrated and the QRS Pianomation system is installed. The piano also is tuned, prepped and regulated before shipment to the dealer. The piano is constructed with a hardwood rim (laminated, but using more dense species of hardwoods than the other three brands you list); also, it has a sand-cast iron plate, compared to an injection-mold vacuum-process plate in the other three. It uses German action parts and strings and has more of a European scale design. This model is an excellent value in a moderately-priced grand. The only upgrade you might want to consider, if your price range is up to $15K, would be the QRS Serenade Pro player system. It not only plays CD's from all the vendors of player piano software, but also floppy discs, which (along with CD's) represents over 90% of the available player piano software. Add to this a built-in hard drive, capable of storing 50,000 song files, including MP3 files and any MIDI format song that can be downloaded from the Internet, and you have far greater user options. It has video outputs and you can interface the piano with your TV and sound system and play QRS Sync-along(R) DVD's of concert performances, so that Billy Joel or your favorite artist can appear on your screen and actually play your piano in real time. Finally, you can add a record feature and turn your piano into a multi-track recording studio. I hope this doesn't sound like a sales pitch, but I get carried away!

The other three 4'11 pianos are nice instruments as well. Ironically, the Young Chang PG150 is Korean-built, and the Yamaha and Samick (most likely) are built in Indonesia. I think the Yamaha model is DGA1E; the DGC1B is 5'3" and costs more than $15K. Hope this helps!
and keyboard musician

#28628 - 09/29/04 06:34 PM Re: What's the best baby grand with a Disc Player for under $15K
Trooper94 Offline

Thank you for your response. Larry Fine's book did not say much about the Story & Clark, except for the fact that it is built by Samick. Your input is very helpful with the S&C. As for the Yamaha, this is the new 4'11" model - similar to the GB1 (replacement for GA1), except with the Disklavier. For Young Chang, I like the PG series, but very concern with the warranty if YC bankrupt. The Samick did not sound that good.

Should I spend little bit more to get a 5'3" or little bit larger?

Thanks in advance.

#28629 - 09/29/04 06:46 PM Re: What's the best baby grand with a Disc Player for under $15K
Jeff Bauer Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Los Angeles
If it were for myself, knowing what I know about pianos and player systems, I wouldn't hesitate on getting a DGC1PE: 5'3" playback only Yamaha Disklavier.

Whatever the best price is on the DGB1, add 3k and it is yours. This not only buys you a better instrument, but the Disklavier with the CD system and PianoSmart.

The selection of Yamaha music, and the quality of the recordings (Audio CDs being the big factor there) is beyond any other system.

I say this being an avid music listener and musician, not as a Yamaha salesperson.

Yamaha | Schimmel | Bösendorfer | Knabe | Seiler | Restored Steinway

BauerHouse Productions

#28630 - 09/29/04 07:20 PM Re: What's the best baby grand with a Disc Player for under $15K
Trooper94 Offline

Is the Yamaha DGC1PE similar to the DC1A? How is the Young Chang PG-157 compared to the Yamaha C1 - beside 5'2" and 5'3" respectively? Since I'm not the very an experienced piano player, I could not tell the different.

Thank you in advance.

#28631 - 09/29/04 08:33 PM Re: What's the best baby grand with a Disc Player for under $15K
jodylynn Offline

Loc: NEW YORK
One that's 25 miles under the sea!

#28632 - 09/29/04 10:25 PM Re: What's the best baby grand with a Disc Player for under $15K
Jeff Bauer Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Trooper94:
Is the Yamaha DGC1PE similar to the DC1A? How is the Young Chang PG-157 compared to the Yamaha C1 - beside 5'2" and 5'3" respectively? Since I'm not the very an experienced piano player, I could not tell the different.

Thank you in advance. [/b]
The DC1A is the full featured model, and is identical (in player system) to the DGC1A (not to be confused with the DGC1 which is what I recommended). The "A" at the end of the model means it is a full featured Disklavier.

The C1 is a more refined piano than the GC1, but in terms of sound there is little difference if any to an intermediate/novice player.. the big performance difference being a bass sustain as compared to a full sostenuto (if you have to ask, it's not worth knowing about).

The DGC1 is unique in that it is the only model of it's kind with limited Disklavier features, but still offering more than the DGB1.

Here is what the DGC1 does not have that a DGC1A does:
Recording capability - records your own performance as a MIDI file and plays back on the acoustic piano.
Silent System - with the push of a button, a bar blocks the hammers from striking the strings and you can play the piano through headphones listening to a digital piano sample. This also works great for playing 480 additional built in sounds, or drumtracks while multitrack recording.

If you want to justify the CD drive, I suggest going to your local dealer and listening to any of the following CDs:
Carol Welsman - any of the 4 CDs she has done
Christopher Cross - a live concert, amazing recordings of his popular tunes
Joni Summer
Dave Koz: Dave Koz
Alan Pasqua: Latin Jazz
All of Sue Downs
"Hey Girl" - compilation of various artists pop/jazz standards.. album cover stinks but the music is fantastic
Joey De Francesco Concert - Jazz Trio
Bill Cunliffe: "Shades of Blue"
The Ayke Agus Trio - terrific classical violinist
"The Best of George Benson"
"Terry Trotter Trio"
"Welcome to Planet Mullins"
Joanie Sommers: 'This Girl's in Love with You'

There are many more, but these are some of my favorites I always have playing in the store throughout the day.

BauerHouse Productions

#28633 - 09/30/04 08:55 AM Re: What's the best baby grand with a Disc Player for under $15K
TomFL Offline

Loc: SW Florida
T94 - just a clarification about the Story & Clark pianos - they are NOT built by Samick. They are built at the Dongbei factory in China and tuned and prepped at the S&C factory in Seneca, PA.

If you can fit it, you should try and stretch to at least the S&C 165 - it is 5'6". It has a much nicer sound than the smaller one. I've recently priced the 165 with a QRS Serenade (Not the Pro) at around $12K.

Disclosure - I do not sell pianos - I'm shopping like you.

#28634 - 09/30/04 11:53 AM Re: What's the best baby grand with a Disc Player for under $15K
Piano Peddler Offline

Trooper 94:

Tom in Florida responded to your question before I had a chance to answer. He is correct in that Story & Clark has no connection with Samick. You must have an older edition of Larry's Piano Book. The Samick connection is several years ago and as stated above, the Story & Clark grands are now sourced by Dongbei, who builds them to Story & Clark's specs. I also agree with Tom that if you could accomodate the larger size Model 165, equipped with either the CD2000 basic playback system, or the Serenade Pro system, you would be have a better piano. You could certainly compare this with the Yamaha DGC1 or DGC1A for similar-size pianos and "bang for the buck". The larger size Yamahas are built in Japan, while the GA1E is Indonesian-built. I don't know where the GB1 is made. Does your dealer in Paris sell both brands, where you can compare the two models side-by-side? That would be the best scenario for your decision process, along with comparing prices.
and keyboard musician

#28635 - 09/30/04 12:11 PM Re: What's the best baby grand with a Disc Player for under $15K
Jeff Bauer Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Piano Peddler:
Trooper 94:
while the GA1E is Indonesian-built. I don't know where the GB1 is made.[/b]
The GB1E replaces the GA1E, and it's production is in Yamaha's Indonesia factory.

BauerHouse Productions

#28636 - 09/30/04 08:25 PM Re: What's the best baby grand with a Disc Player for under $15K
Trooper94 Offline

Thank you for all the helps.

I did confirm with the dealer that the DGB1 is built in Indonesia. The DGB1 was priced at $15K+. I'm still hesitate with a small size grand - under 5'. Based on the recommendations in this forum, the larger size, 5'5" or larger, is a much better choice.

Unfortunately, the closest dealer is around 100+ miles away. I definitely will take a look at the S&C.

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
137 registered (adanepst, 36251, Almaviva, 38 invisible), 1432 Guests and 39 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74206 Members
42 Forums
153496 Topics
2249269 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Teaching memorization
by clarikeys
04/16/14 07:45 AM
Accepted Procedure for Having a Piano Tech look at a piano?
by Paul678
04/16/14 07:19 AM
Tips for playing a piece through
by Hemmingway
04/16/14 06:40 AM
Temperature and tuning
by Beemer
04/16/14 04:46 AM
Tired Fingers
by adanepst
04/16/14 01:45 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission