Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#291519 - 01/06/07 08:01 PM Update on Piano search...
tonychar Offline

Loc: CA
So after all of the topics and posts, here is my update.

I have decided upon the Nordiska Model G 5'5" in Ebony black. In March, they updated their entire Grand piano line to the Master series standards, including focused beam structure and a nose flange.

I have contacted an RPT and it is being checked out for me, hopefully this week.

I will report their findings....

(ads 568) Hailun Pianos

piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#291520 - 01/06/07 09:06 PM Re: Update on Piano search...
Monica K. Offline

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012

Loc: Lexington, Kentucky
Sounds good! Is this a new piano? If so, the tech inspection probably wasn't necessary, but it won't hurt.

Polished or satin ebony?

#291521 - 01/06/07 09:43 PM Re: Update on Piano search...
Rich D. Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Rehoboth Beach De. USA
I only played one Nordiska grand but was very impressed with the tone. Sounds like a good choice. Congratulations. While a tech inspection is normally not done when purchasing a new piano I actually think it can be a good idea. $100 or so is not a lot to pay to insure the piano you are paying thousands of dollars for has no issues. The tech may also be able to tell you what further work the dealer should take before you purchase the piano. Good luck.

Rich

"Life is like a piano....what you get out of it depends on how you play it"
Anonymous

#291522 - 01/06/07 10:12 PM Re: Update on Piano search...
tonychar Offline

I know it is not normally done, but given the fact that I have no ear and little knowledge, the tech is basically standing in for me as the designated "knowledgable" consumer. Also, as was said any problems can be addressed before I fork out thousands of dollars.

Interestingly enough, the salesman was not happy about it one bit...which to me may put up a red flag. Maybe I'm just stepping on toes normally left alone. The salesman and store were specifically recommended to me on this forum. I am curious how the techs report will turn out...

#291523 - 01/07/07 11:56 PM Re: Update on Piano search...
snoman Offline

Loc: melbourne florida
Tonychar, I have a 7 ft. Story and Clark whch is the same as the Nordisca.They are both made by the Dongbei company. Mine has the focused beam structure that gives it a great tone. I love mine. Good luck and keep us posted. \:\)

#291524 - 01/11/07 01:00 AM Re: Update on Piano search...
tonychar Offline

The RPT checked out the Nordiska Model G 5'5" grand, and other than about an hour's work on a few small regulation issues, the piano checked out.

Actually, he was surprised at the quality and features of the piano. His general comment was that "It is nice to see that one of the Chinese Piano Manufacturers is listening to all of the complaints about Chinese pianos."

He recommended that we upgrade to the 6'1" due to the greater bass, but we are going to go for the 5'5". I argued with my spouse about getting the larger piano, but once we sort of laid out the size of the piano in the room, the 6'1" would just be too big...once I saw it, I had to agree with her.

They are asking for $7600.00 for the piano, and I don't want to haggle too much...he's already offered a second tuning. I will go in Saturday to try and finalize things..

Btw All of the Nordiskas now have the focused beam construction, and have been updated to the "master series" level.

#291525 - 01/11/07 01:10 AM Re: Update on Piano search...
MartinJ. Offline

Loc: Iowa
Thanks for the update, it's nice to know where folks end up.

You went about this the right way-look how your knowledge has improved over just a few weeks, and think about how much more piano you're getting for your $$ than where you started from, and still in the ballpark of your original post!

Good job, congrats, and good luck sealing the deal!

#291526 - 01/11/07 03:32 AM Re: Update on Piano search...
tonychar Offline

Martin,

Thanks for all of your very valuable advice through this process, and thanks to all of the rest of you. I didn't realize that I had managed to accompish staying so close to my original post. With tax and delivery, we're looking at $8500, about 1500 over the original budget, but considerably below the $15000 I was considering spending.

One of our criteria was that we deal with a local retailer if we bought new, and this did limit our choices to about 6 stores, and maybe a dozen brands. Ultimately, I still believe that a further search would have made no difference, because the Nordiska is such a great value for the money.

I also recieved a number of e-mails and PM's from other members going back about 2 years who bought Nordiskas. I sought them out and contacted them through this forum, and every single one of them were happy a year or so later. Also their tuners/techs were also complimentary about the Nordiskas.

Add to this the fact that the Nordiska product line has been improved over the last year with the focused beam construction and a number of other improvements, and it seems that overall Nordiska is a much improved product, doing their best to rise above the Chinese piano stigma, and they are truly making a decent piano within their price range.

And on top of everything else, my daughter preferred this piano above them all. She was not even in agreement with me getting the 6'1" Nordiska, because she completely fell in love with the sound of the Nordiska 5'5" piano at the dealership.

So let me say thanks again to this great forum. I have spent at least 50 hours scouring over the posts at Piano World. Specifically, this forum led me to the Nordiska brand, to the specific retailer, and even to the specific salesperson. The forum also prevented me from buying from Costco or eBay, or any other piano that we hadn't actually touched. It led me to The Piano Book and also the decision to find an RPT to look at the piano. (Yes, I will always have an RPT look at a piano, new or used. This should be on the "must do" list for any novice or first-time buyer!)

All of your posts gave me sound and important advice, and now I am going into this decision with the confidence that I am making an informed choice.

Thanks Everyone!!

#291527 - 01/11/07 07:39 AM Re: Update on Piano search...
sleepy Offline

tony, fantastic!

Your daughter is very lucky!

I am happy for your whole family.

Congrats, and enjoy!!

sleepy

#291528 - 01/11/07 08:02 AM Re: Update on Piano search...
mikhailoh Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Cincinnati
tony,

I think you will like your new piano. I played a nicely prepped 5'5" a couple years ago and thought it was a very nice piano. Good pick!

====

He is so solemn, detached and uninvolved he makes Mr. Spock look like Hunter S. Thompson at closing time.'

#291529 - 01/11/07 08:46 AM Re: Update on Piano search...
Monica K. Offline

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012

Loc: Lexington, Kentucky
Congratulations, tony! We will forever hold you up as an example of how it IS possible to spend LESS than your initial budget and still end up with a piano that meets all your expectations and desires.

p.s. please post some photos if you get the chance. \:\)

#291530 - 01/11/07 09:03 AM Re: Update on Piano search...
TX-Dennis Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Texas
Congratulations on your new piano, tony. I will second what Michael said. I, too, played a well prepped 5'5 Nordiska a few months ago which was to be delivered to its new owner the following day. It had a beautiful tone, particularly in the treble. It was bright, but very musical. The treble seemed to sparkle or shimmer. Unlike most brighter pianos, though, I did not find its tone objectionable, twangy, or metallic. It's a very nice instrument, and your price is about what I was quoted. Enjoy!

--Dennis

flickr

#291531 - 01/11/07 11:31 AM Re: Update on Piano search...
BB Player Offline

Loc: Not in Texas
Congratulations on your new piano! Sounds like a fine instrument and the fact that you came in under budget on a piano you love must be doubly satisfying. Please post some pictures when your piano arrives!

#291532 - 01/11/07 02:08 PM Re: Update on Piano search...
lucy_amanda Offline

Congratulations! Just a thought - did you consider trading in one of the free tunings for a voicing session? I did just that when I got my piano as the piano was a bit too bright for our room. The dealer was pretty nice as in the end when we phoned up for our 2nd tuning, he gave it to us for free in addition to the free voicing session.

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
148 registered (accordeur, Adam Coleman, 36251, Al LaPorte, 46 invisible), 1677 Guests and 31 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74248 Members
42 Forums
153579 Topics
2250828 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
This day, last year...
by TwoSnowflakes
04/19/14 01:17 PM
the government and tuning.
by kc_lee
04/19/14 12:33 PM
Midi controller with a good keybed under 1000$
by Ov3rload
04/19/14 11:55 AM
Bösendorfer vs Steingraeber
by Keith D Kerman
04/19/14 11:51 AM
Keyboard stand
by david_ka
04/19/14 09:42 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission