Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
Who's Online
133 registered (ando, anamnesis, Almaviva, 36251, accordeur, 36 invisible), 1415 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Topic Options
#294136 - 10/13/07 06:13 PM Voicing
soundofmusic Offline

What is voicing and how often does this need to be done? Is this a consideration when trying to decide to buy new or used? In the tuning post, someone said that this costs $600! That's a lot of bones.

(ads 568) Hailun Pianos

#294137 - 10/13/07 06:25 PM Re: Voicing
BDB Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Oakland
Voicing is the process of evening or slightly changing the tone color of the piano. It is the final part of routine piano maintenance, after tuning and regulation. Voicing is not necessarily that expensive, but regulation, the process of adjusting the action of the piano so that it plays evenly, can make it that expensive, particularly if it is not done often enough.

Many people never bother to do any maintenance on their piano other than tuning. The piano works, but much less well than it could. So whether it ever needs to be done depends on your standards.

The cheapest way to maintain a piano at its best is to tune, regulate, and voice it often in its first 2-3 years. The need to regulate and voice actually diminishes as the piano ages, because there is less initial wear of the felts as time goes on.

#294138 - 10/13/07 06:27 PM Re: Voicing
soundofmusic Offline

How often do you suggest voicing? Thanks, Sound of Music

#294139 - 10/13/07 06:48 PM Re: Voicing
BDB Online   content

Loc: Oakland
When it needs it. If one note sounds different from adjacent notes, or when the piano begins to sound harsh, or too soft, it is probably time.

The same is true of regulation. When you have trouble playing soft, or evenly. However, most people never notice that they are having trouble, because the degradation of the action happens slowly, so that you adjust. It is a good idea to have the regulation touched up after about a year of playing on a new piano, and to have the voicing touched up at the same time. A lot of touch-ups can avert a big bill.

#294140 - 10/13/07 06:55 PM Re: Voicing
soundofmusic Offline

Good to know. I will print this and put it in my piano folder. Thanks.

#294141 - 10/14/07 03:22 AM Re: Voicing
Bruckner Fan Offline

Loc: Canada
If I could enlarge a bit on BDB's good descriptions, I would like to say that one of the most important things that affects voicing is the shape or profile of the hammer's striking surface (the part that contacts the strings), and over time, grooves develop on this surface, diminishing the tone quality.

Voicing actually involves a few different procedures. First is putting a dead-accurate tuning on the piano, then reshaping the striking surface of the hammers to renew the egg-shaped profile, and reduce but not quite eliminate the string grooves. Then the alignment of the hammers to the strings is adjusted from side to side, and also the simultaneous contact of the three strings to the surface of the hammer.
Then needling may be necessary to even out the tone, whether too bright, too dull, or not enough sustain, or power.
Working with the strings is also part of voicing, and part of a proper prep of a new piano is caressing the wire around the bearing points to establish a profile for stability and power-projection. Having said that, a good regulation of the action is also prerequisite to fine voicing. I like the Kawai "Circle of Refinement" approach: Tune Regulate Voice, Tune Regulate Voice, Tune Regulate Voice......

In Canada it's not "A-440",
It's "440, Eh?"

#294142 - 10/14/07 07:21 AM Re: Voicing
ctc Offline

Loc: canada
Sorry if this question will sound so silly ....

we just started looking at buying a new piano, so I am just trying to learn and absorb all the info I need to know about having a piano.

THe piano will be used by an 11 year old who is in Grade 4/5 piano; how often does one have to have the piano tuned ?

When it is tuned, does the tuner/technician do all the above ... tune, regulate and voice ? or do we have to ask extra to have the regulate and voice done in addition to tuning ?

BDB, your statement "The cheapest way to maintain a piano at its best is to tune, regulate, and oice it often in its first 2-3 years" - how often is oten enough ?

#294143 - 10/14/07 07:50 AM Re: Voicing
fishline Offline

Loc: NJ
ctc: Since you're buying a piano, it's really a good idea to get Larry Fine's Piano Book. It's not just about buy a piano, but also about owning (e.g., maintaining) one. Much of what is mentioned in this thread, and answers to your new questions, are in the book. If you are buying a new piano, the annual supplement will help.

#294144 - 10/14/07 10:36 AM Re: Voicing
GoatRider Offline

Loc: Maple Grove, MN
Pianos need to be tuned based on the environment, and on the individual piano, and not so much how they are played, unless they are played a heck of a lot.

Humidity plays the biggest role on how often they need to be tuned. Pianos are made of wood, which grows when it absorbs moisture, and shrinks when it dries out. So, if you can keep the humidity around the piano stable, you won't have to tune it as much.

With that said, you usually need to tune between 1 and 4 times a year. My previous piano would go slightly out of tune in the summer, but tolerable, and it would come mostly back into tune by the end of fall. I had it tuned every January, the driest time of the year in my house. I keep my house air conditioned when it's muggy out, and use a whole-house humidier in heating season.

Usually voicing and regulating are only done every few years. If there's something you don't like about the way the piano sounds or plays, that's the time to do it. Tell your technician about it. A good tech will also tell you when he thinks more work needs to be done. He's not trying to drum up more business, he's trying let you know what your piano needs to sound the best.
Kawai RX-2 #2555861 in Satin Walnut
Kawai ES6

#294145 - 10/15/07 01:39 AM Re: Voicing
Norbert Offline

Loc: Surrey, B.C.
 Quote:
Voicing actually involves a few different procedures. First is putting a dead-accurate tuning on the piano, then reshaping the striking surface of the hammers to renew the egg-shaped profile, and reduce but not quite eliminate the string grooves. Then the alignment of the hammers to the strings is adjusted from side to side, and also the simultaneous contact of the three strings to the surface of the hammer.[/b]
Excellent!!

That's exactly how I have always seen the *best of the best* do it - anywhere in the world!

[Oh, then there is of course that cumbersome pulling in and out of the action about every 3-10 keys, this to guarantee maximum eveness of tone across the keyboard..... ;\) ]

Norbert

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
What's Hot!!
Christmas Header
Christmas Lights at Piano World Headquarters in Maine 2014
-------------------
The December Free Piano Newsletter
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Just Tuned a 1960's Kranich and Bach Studio upright
by Paul678
12/22/14 09:18 PM
How to learn everything and anything about piano?
by MrMusicianship
12/22/14 07:22 PM
is my piano tunable
by d3c0
12/22/14 05:45 PM
SSHD running VST
by daz100
12/22/14 05:01 PM
do you recommend further service?
by ShannonG
12/22/14 04:34 PM
Forum Stats
77398 Members
42 Forums
160069 Topics
2350679 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission