2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
64 members (brennbaer, accordeur, antune, Colin Miles, anotherscott, AndyOnThePiano2, benkeys, 10 invisible), 1,824 guests, and 312 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
M
M&B Offline
M
Definitely a BAD deal. 17K on a used Steinway Upright ! There are many more refined choices in that price range and perhaps a grand piano as well.

Don't ever walk around with a sign that says "Kick me in the rear" you'll be surprise of how many people you made happy.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I disagree M&B.

It's only a bad deal if there was another piano Confucian would have preferred for the same amount or less. For all we know, it's an amazing deal because he (sorry, I'm assuming male gender)got his perfect piano for several thousand less than a new one, and didn't have to spend a lot of time driving around and shopping.

Todd

Previously: M&H AA (2006)
Currently: Phoenix C212 (2016)
C
OP Offline
C
Todd,

You are right that I am a guy. And you are right that I saved myself quite a bit of search cost (driving around shopping).

Confucian

Confucian
S
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
S
I really like the K-52. I hope it brings you many years of enjoyment.

As for the price, that sounds about right for northern NJ/suburban NYC. Maybe a little high but as mentioned you did not spend a year driving around kicking tires.

If you find something else you like better and you want to sell it please conact me.

Regards,
Steve

"The true character of a man can be determined by witnessing what he does when no one is watching".

anon
C
OP Offline
C
Stevester,

I'll keep you in mind if I sell it -- but I suspect it won't be for a few years.

Thanks

Confucian
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
As I remember in about 1982 S&S wanted to bring back the venerated K52, made from 1914-1929. They searched the factory and could not locate any blue prints for this model (S&S is usually very careful with important documents). An employee at the factory said he owned an old K52. They hauled it in and took it apart and reverse engineered the new K52 from this instrument.
The new K52 does incorporate modern advancements as accellerated action, hexgrip pin block, and diaphragmatic soundboard, the earlier instruments did not have.
I have heard new K52's fully preped beside restored old K52's and found the tone very close.
Pianomadam,
I do not sell new Steinways or anyother piano for that fact. Traditionally K52's are slow turners for dealers. A 16.7% discount didn't seem out of the question. There are S&S dealers that do go below the talked about 10% from time to time.

Piano Technician, member Piano Technicians Guild.
C
OP Offline
C
Interesting story.

Confucian
"There are S&S dealers that do go below the talked about 10% from time to time"

---I can only speak for my store, but we simply do not sell Steinways at the discounted rates you and others are speaking of. Like it or not, there is simply a different philosophy at Steinway. I've found that most who do fork out the money for a Steinway are not as concerned about the price as they are about the quality of the instrument.

S
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
S
spin

"The true character of a man can be determined by witnessing what he does when no one is watching".

anon
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Well duh . . . wink

In another thread she said her customers don't even care if the pianos are prepped.

The philosophy is to maximize profits. If you can do that by charging FFR, then that's what you should do.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Pianomadam,
As you have not identified your company or even your state, don't feel the compulsion to defend your pricing policies. The nation's S&S dealers need no defense as well. Most are doing just fine. When your K52's get to be three years old or older, your dealer principal may have other ideas. All of the sudden that "new" S&S that is never discounted may become a "school loan" piano, or a "demo", or other such vehicle to facilitate a discount.

S
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
S
Frankly I think Pianomadam is a dealer sock puppet for a brand other than Steinway. If he were actually a dealer I would think he would extend the forum the professional courtesy of putting his dealer's name in his posts. I believe much of what I have read from this person actually does Steinway a disservice.

anon
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I never would have thought of that. Devious indeed!

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
i have thought so too.. she so consistently makes Steinway seem bad... awful.

i can't imagine it is not intentional

accompanist/organist.. a non-MTNA teacher to a few

love and peace, Õun (apple in Estonian)
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I think she is a Steinway dealer, and just stuck her foot in her mouth so far that she's still working to get her knee back out past her incisors.

Given she'll probably never get past her historic statements regarding Steinway, bad prep, and the animosity she's gained from it, she really can't say which dealer she's from.

Kudos to her for not simply re-registering under a new name. And yeah, her writing style might be recognized if she tried that, but still, she hasn't.

Todd

Hello all.

Good to hear from you. Yes, i am a Steinway & Sons dealer and thus cannot reveal where I work. I enjoy this forum too much to reveal my true identity (outside of the fact that I am a Steinway & Sons dealer).

I am curious, Apple & Stevester, what you are referring to when you say things like "she so consistently makes Steinway seem bad... awful". I'm open to constructive criticism but please give examples so I can reflect on what it is you are referring to. Best,

T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
madam,

If you are actually a sock puppet for another brand just trying to make Steinway look bad, then you have no credibility.

If you cannot reveal where you work because you don't want to be called on all the ridiculous falsehoods you have spouted here, then you have no credibility.

If you cannot reveal where you work because Steinway and/or the Steinway dealer where you work have a policy against allowing employees to participate on this or other public forums, then you are guilty of defrauding your employer, should probably be fired for it and therefore have no credibility.

madam..

Answering serious questions with the smoke of sales' platitudes that only praise Steinway in Steinway marketing terms makes those marketing points seem dishonest.

You answer all questions with Steinway sales' marketing points...

We're not that dumb... and those of us who are 'dumb' (not well versed in piano knowledge) enough to believe it do not deserve to be mislead on this honest forum.

The marketing points you spew seem to project a charicature of a bad piano dealer.. one who obscures to sell his product, whose main concern is not the customer, but himself (or herself) and her (or his) product.

There are real people asking real questions.. Answering them in sales' platitudes simply gives posters here an example of what to shun when they hear it at the piano store.

Steinways can be awesome pianos. If i were a poster shopping, your posts would make me leary of setting foot in a Steinway dealership.

That fact that you cannot identify yourself leads credence to the notion that you are a schill for the competition... whatever that is.

We're just people here and we (if i might presume to speak for the Piano World Persona) prefer upright, honest answers to real questions.

most dealers and salespeople here take Piano World's 'rules' seriously. i trust you've read the following:

========================================

Do You Work In The Piano Industry?
Or... Were You Recently Associated With The Piano Industry?
Are You, or Were You a... Piano Dealer, Tuner/Technician/Rebuilder, Teacher, Sales Person, Manufacturer/Manufacturer's Rep, Distributor, Wholesaler, Retailer, Manager, Consultant, Supplier, Importer/Exporter?

If you answered yes to any of the above, please
Identify your affiliation with the piano business in your signature!

Simply click "my profile" at the top of the page, then click "edit profile", scroll down and find the "Signature" box, fill it in and click "Update Profile" (near the bottom of the page). And yes, it's ok to include a link to your web site if you have one, and even your business phone number if you wish.

The primary objective of Piano World and the Piano Forums is to be a resource people can count on for information about pianos and piano playing.

If you are or were a piano industry professional, please identify yourself as such so people will know the source of your "expertise".

And if it was in the past, we would still really appreciate some details (ex: former Dealer - Steinway, Mason & Hamlin, or ex: former Rep for Gulbransen).

Code Of Ethics:
We do not condone members hiding behind a veil of anonymity so they can push there own agenda, promote their own business or products, or create negative posts about their competitors and/or competitive products.

Show some class, identify yourself and try to contribute positively to the forums.

If you consider yourself to be a professional, please act like one! If you just can't resist promoting yourself or your business, or you think bashing your competitors and/or their products is the way to do business, you will likely find yourself banned from the forums.

This is not a platform for people with personal agendas, it is a place where people with a genuine interest in the piano come for help, hints, ideas, information, and even to make new friends.

Stop the Self-Promotion!
It is NOT ACCEPTABLE for you to create posts thinly disguised as an innocent discussion when in fact they are nothing more than a promotion for your business.

Nor should you be directing your customers here for the sole purpose of touting how wonderful you are.

If you make a genuine effort to be honest and helpful, you just may pick up some business because people trust you. That's fine, I have no problem with that. Anything beyond that, see our Professional Advertising options.

accompanist/organist.. a non-MTNA teacher to a few

love and peace, Õun (apple in Estonian)
S
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
S
Well said apple!

anon
One should reasonably expect by now that PianoMadam is no longer naive or a newbie (so many threads and posts). The questions and comments that all still seem day one makes one think-what is going on here?

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,223
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission