2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
42 members (1200s, clothearednincompo, FredrikNilsen, busa, Doug M., 36251, Davidnewmind, Dfrankjazz, brdwyguy, 6 invisible), 1,147 guests, and 257 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Piano World Founder - Piano Tuner - Pianist
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Some of you may remember when there were discussions here on the forums about the Biasco's. At the time, we were asked by their attorney to pull the posts.

This time, the "post" is on a Newspaper's web site.

© From the Naperville Sun...

Biasco fiasco?
Piano buyers could be out to tune of $500,000

February 12, 2008
By BILL BIRD Staff Writer

Their names are Peter and Paul, although more than a few would contend their conduct has been anything but saintly.

Authorities are investigating potential wrongdoing on the part of brothers Peter and Paul Biasco, who recently shuttered their Piano Experts music stores at 1163 E. Ogden Ave. in Naperville and in northwest suburban Buffalo Grove.

Naperville police have fielded almost two dozen complaints during the past two weeks from music aficionados from as far away as Kansas. All contend the brothers sold them expensive pianos, took their money and then failed to deliver the instruments.

Peter Morse, a Chicago attorney and unofficial leader of a loosely-knit group of the Biascos' alleged victims, believes the number of cheated customers is far higher than that. Morse calculates at least 150 people - including one of his own children - paid for and never received their pianos from the Naperville store. The group collectively may have lost as much as $500,000.

Tale of woe
The story told by Woodridge resident Jody Grimaldi echoes that of other Piano Experts customers. Grimaldi said he spent just more than $5,300 Nov. 10 for a Baldwin baby grand piano intended as a surprise for his wife on her 30th birthday.
Store employees promised delivery of the piano within eight weeks, Grimaldi said. As that deadline passed, Grimaldi said he was told there had been delays at the manufacturing level but was assured the piano would arrive soon.

Grimaldi returned to the store Feb. 2, only to find it dark and abandoned. A sign in the front window announced "store closed," and instructed customers to call Piano Experts' telephone number and leave a message.

The store's telephone mailbox was full as of Monday.

READ THE REST OF THE ARTICLE

To file a complaint
Questions or complaints about Piano Experts of Naperville should be directed to:

• Illinois Attorney General Lisa Madigan at 312-814-3000

• The Naperville Police Department at 630-420-6666

According to my Google Alerts, this story is also posted ...

http://abclocal.go.com/wls/story?section=news/local&id=5953228

And...

http://www.nbc5.com/news/15281070/detail.html

- Frank B.
Original Founder of Piano World
Owner of...
www.PianoSupplies.com
Maine Piano Man

My Keyboards:
Estonia L-190, Roland RD88, Yamaha P-80, Bilhorn Telescope Organ c 1880, Antique Pump Organ, 1850 concertina, 3 other digital pianos
-------------------------
My original piece on BandCamp: https://frankbaxtermrpianoworld.bandcamp.com/releases

Me banging out some tunes in the Estonia piano booth at the NAMM show...

It's Fun To Play the Piano ... PLEASE Pass It On!

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
That article was an eye-opener. It appears that this family has been engaged in sleazy tactics for many years. What a shame. frown

6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Monica K.:
That article was an eye-opener. It appears that this family has been engaged in sleazy tactics for many years. What a shame. frown
http://www.pianoworld.com/ubb/ubb/ultimatebb.php?/topic/31/6.html

- Frank B.
Owner of...
www.PianoSupplies.com
Maine Piano Man

My Keyboards:
Estonia L-190, Roland RD88, Yamaha P-80, Bilhorn Telescope Organ c 1880, Antique Pump Organ, 1850 concertina, 3 other digital pianos
My original piece on BandCamp: https://frankbaxtermrpianoworld.bandcamp.com/releases

Well, we have had disappearing pianos discussed here before. I wonder how things are going in Houston these days.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
As I recall, there was a gentleman from some public prosecutor's office who posted here soliciting info that may help with his office's investigation with the Houston case. I wonder if official charges have been brought.

It may seem a little slow, but it's still good to know that the government is trying to do something to protect the piano buying public, albeit only in extreme cases. And some legitimate dealers are still fighting the good fight to keep their industry reputable.

This forum and its participants help as well, by bringing such abuses to the fore and let other consumers be aware of problems.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Wow. This story has been all over the Chicago TV news the last few days.

Full-Time Music/Entrepreneurship Major: (Why not compose music AND businesses?)
Former Piano Industry Professional
Steinway M
Roland Atelier AT90R
All Posts are Snarky Unless Otherwise Noted
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
And the saga continues...

http://www.nbc5.com/news/15295996/detail.html

It's a shame what this company did to these customers.

- Frank B.
Owner of...
www.PianoSupplies.com
Maine Piano Man

My Keyboards:

S
S
I sure hope they don't get away with it.

Is this a golden opportunity for Baldwin to step up to the plate? Not that they have any obligation, but what a gesture!

[If they were one of my clients, I woud really push for it.]

Piano Industry Consultant

Co-author (with Larry Fine) of Practical Piano Valuation
www.jasonsmc@msn.com

Contributing Editor & Consultant - Acoustic & Digital Piano Buyer

Retired owned of Jasons Music Center
Maryland/DC/No. VA
Family Owned and Operated Since 1937.

B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
Bummer for all those folks, hopefully they can recover at least some of their money (though it sounds like it might take a while to make it through all the legal wrangling).

Does bring up an interesting point. We've had several threads about the dangers of purchasing through online venues (e.g. ebay and online piano retailers). But we've also now have had at least a couple of major issues with dealers (Covington and now this). Just goes to show that no matter where you're getting ready to plunk down thousands/tens of thousands of dollars that you must do due diligence regarding the entity you are purchasing the piano from. A quick look at the BBB shows an unsatisfactory rating for this particular piano shop (could be because of all the recent activity?). Buyers would be well advised to spend as much time looking up B&M establishments as they would virtual ones. Just because there is a friendly face accepting your check doesn't mean it will be a satisfactory experience. Caveat emptor!

S
S
Originally posted by bitWrangler:
Bummer for all those folks, hopefully they can recover at least some of their money (though it sounds like it might take a while to make it through all the legal wrangling).

Does bring up an interesting point. We've had several threads about the dangers of purchasing through online venues (e.g. ebay and online piano retailers). But we've also now have had at least a couple of major issues with dealers (Covington and now this). Just goes to show that no matter where you're getting ready to plunk down thousands/tens of thousands of dollars that you must do due diligence regarding the entity you are purchasing the piano from. A quick look at the BBB shows an unsatisfactory rating for this particular piano shop (could be because of all the recent activity?). Buyers would be well advised to spend as much time looking up B&M establishments as they would virtual ones. Just because there is a friendly face accepting your check doesn't mean it will be a satisfactory experience. Caveat emptor!
Very unfortunate...but true. frown

www.jasonsmc@msn.com

Maryland/DC/No. VA

my word

accompanist/organist.. a non-MTNA teacher to a few

love and peace, Õun (apple in Estonian)
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Steve Cohen:
I sure hope they don't get away with it.

Is this a golden opportunity for Baldwin to step up to the plate? Not that they have any obligation, but what a gesture!

[If they were one of my clients, I woud really push for it.]
Steve, That would be the right thing to do for Baldwin, but if you remember when Gison bought the company they would not even stand behind the warranties at the time.

Glenn Treibitz

Hollywood Piano Co. - Est.1928
http://www.hollywoodpiano.com
http://www.facebook.com/HollywoodPiano

1800 MY-PIANO

Steingraeber,Grotrian,Mason&Hamlin,Petrof,Estonia,Steinberg,Schulze-Pollmann,Baldwin,
Ritmuller,Perzina,Pearl River,Hardman,Roland,Used Steinway
L
L
Perhaps customers should now insist on paying cash on delivery. I know it will be a hassle for the majority of piano businesses that are behaving honourably, but many "in the business" must have had an inkling of what was going on behind the scenes. This kind of thing usually spreads via the grapevine. Maybe a period of customer "civil disobedience" by demanding the goods BEFORE payment might help police the barrel from within and get rid of the rotten apples before they ruin the trade for everybody.

Interesting thread.

The last piano I bought was C.O.D., (was from a dealer too); seems a little safer to me, especially in view of this story.

Best regards,

Rickster

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
Frank,

I haven't been to the site in a while, but your newsletter's story brought be back in to take a look.

Once again, I'm reminded of what a great service Piano World has provided to the piano community for many years now.

About 10 years ago, I bought a Steinway A from a sweet old lady in St. Louis, and we handled the deal over the phone without ever meeting (I live in Denver). Three years later, I sold that same piano to a dealer in New York state (through Piano World), again, without ever meeting the buyer. He rebuilt that classic instrument and sold it to a buyer in the South East.

The story of my 1902 Steinway is not unique, and I'd venture a guess that 99% of the people in this business are honest and thoroughly reliable dealers and craftspersons who would take a loss before cheating a client or customer.

Since the piano business in the 21st century is the antithesis of a 'get rich quick' enterprise, I am indeed puzzled at the personalities behind the Biasco fiasco -- if I were the type whose goal was to swindle Florida residents, I doubt if I'd choose a retail piano outlet as my vehicle.

I, of course, feel terrible for those who lost savings here and I do pray the story will somehow have a happy ending for those who lost their money.

-- ipgrunt
Amateur pianist, Son of a Pro
S
S
Originally posted by LittleTyke:
Perhaps customers should now insist on paying cash on delivery. I know it will be a hassle for the majority of piano businesses that are behaving honourably, but many "in the business" must have had an inkling of what was going on behind the scenes. This kind of thing usually spreads via the grapevine. Maybe a period of customer "civil disobedience" by demanding the goods BEFORE payment might help police the barrel from within and get rid of the rotten apples before they ruin the trade for everybody.
Your assertion that many in the industry must have had an inkling is unsupported and unfair.

I would think the culprits would have carefully guarded their situation.

www.jasonsmc@msn.com

Maryland/DC/No. VA

S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
I have to agree with Steve on this one. The manufacturer would have no way of knowing that this was happening.

Pianos are sold to the dealer by the manufacturer and sales or customer names are never reported to the manufacturer until warranty cards are sent in by the dealer or customer after the delivery. Even then the manufacturer never sees any sale paperwork. The manufacturer has no way of knowing what is sold by a dealer. The flooring company knows if a piano is missing from a dealer's floor but they again have no knowledge of a sale transaction at the dealer level unless they arrive for a stock check and the piano is not to be found. At that point the flooring company would collect for the piano but again they would have no knowledge of the name of the customer unless the dealer claimed that the piano was delivered and not paid. Then the flooring company would demand to know the whereabouts of the piano.

In this case it is very easy for a dealer to do this - until the customers with no instruments come forth and complain to someone outside of the dealership. With a closely held small dealership only the owners would have access to any sales records and since the pianos might never have been ordered to begin with the manufacturers would be completely in the dark.

Similar things have happened in the past. One large metropolitan dealership had an "order" form that had fine print that stated that if the piano was "ordered" and never delivered by the manufacturer then the deposit money was not refundable. Several customers got caught in that one because their paperwork was carefully worded so that when the piano failed to arrive, they lost their deposit.

Actually in my dealership we always collected a small deposit at the store at the time of the sale and got the balance of the purchase price at the time of delivery.

This is a sad, unfortunate saga that has plagued the Chicago market for years.

I just want to add to this that in my experience the vast majority of dealers are hard working, honest people who love the piano business and unfairly suffer from the actions of a few. The piano business is a very difficult market and it takes tenacity and commitment to stay in. I'm sure that dealers who read this know exactly how this was done but they also know how predictably one would get caught. You can't fix stupid.

Sally Phillips
Owner/ Technician
Piano Perfect, LLC
Columbus, GA

www.steinwaypiano.com
Acoustic Piano Technical Consultant - Acoustic and Digital Piano Buyer
http://www.pianobuyer.com/current-issue/07a-should-i-have-my-piano-rebuilt.html
C
C
I bought my first digital piano from this store in August 2006. I suppose my lifetime trade-in value isn't worth much anymore! smile

I was lucky as this was an inexpensive digital and they didn't seem to have the problems they have now with delivering the merchandise. They even followed up on a problem I had with crackling in the speakers and had that fixed under the warranty.

However, I didn't even go back to that shop when I was looking for an acoustic piano in 2007. There was a bit of slime factor in the salesmanship and by that time I knew a lot more about buying pianos than just walking into the first shop I saw with the snazziest advertisements (which is what I did when I bought the digital, no research, just walked in and got something that fit my budget). Back then, having been in only one piano store, I didn't realize piano stores were more like car dealerships than they are like BestBuy. I kind of thought you go in a store, they'll have all the brands, pick what you like. And maybe for digitals, that wasn't so far off, but yikes, I was lucky! smile

cscl
Estonia 190 Satin Ebony
ABF Recitals: [Linked Image]x9 — Studio Recitals: x17
[Linked Image][Linked Image]*
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I wish we could reprint some of the full-page ads from the newspapers.

Many were hilarious -- especially the fine print.

Full-Time Music/Entrepreneurship Major: (Why not compose music AND businesses?)
Former Piano Industry Professional
Steinway M
Roland Atelier AT90R
All Posts are Snarky Unless Otherwise Noted
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I paid a visit to Piano Experts when I was shopping, and spent a Sunday afternoon with a very nice Seiler grand. It was a 6 footer, and, had I had the funds at that time, it would have been a suitable piano. The salesguy was friendly and didn't pressure me at all. After about an hour, the owner came in and introduced himself. I don't remember his first name, but I sure recognized Biasco.

DING DING DING!

DANGER WILL ROBINSON!!

I spent about another half an hour ,and then left, never to return.

[Linked Image]
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,185
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission