Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#301302 - 05/26/06 06:04 AM Problem with Yamaha C110 A (but not neccesarily down to Yamaha!)
RJSMusic Offline

Loc: UK
I recently purchased a brand new Yamaha C110 A upright and I am extremely disappointed with it. Now first of all, I am a big fan of Yamaha pianos and I find it hard to believe that this is what all C110 As are like giving Yamahas excellent reputation. However, as a professional pianist and private music teacher, I am left utterly frustrated that the dealer came to my house and told me that this is "perfectly normal and expected from an entry-level Yamaha for beginners.." . I don't believe for one second that the problem I am experiencing is "perfectly normal" for ANY piano, let alone a Yamaha.
Basically, when I am playing the piano, particularly a little softer,sonetimes the hammers are not striking the strings at certain times and, although I am pressing the keys, the notes are not sounding. This can happen at any time while I am playing and is not restricted to any particular key. This is particularly worrying for a "beginner's piano". I have contacted Yamaha and they are getting back to me but in the meantime, has anyone else experienced this problem? I would be very surprized if they have!

(ads 568) Hailun Pianos

piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#301303 - 05/26/06 06:50 AM Re: Problem with Yamaha C110 A (but not neccesarily down to Yamaha!)
Cy Shuster, RPT Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Albuquerque, NM
Have you had your first in-home tuning yet? This should be addressed at that time. Is this the same piano that you played in the store?

Are you accustomed to playing grands rather than uprights? If so, the difference may be due to the fact that upright actions (not just entry-level) don't perform as well at pianissimo control as grand actions do.

On the other hand, it might just be that the piano is not properly adjusted. It's hard to tell from a distance. No, it's not typical; most Yamahas are set up correctly right out of the box (although I don't have experience with this model).

I agree with you about the frustrating response: on the one hand, the dealer came all the way out to your house, but then dismissed the problem. I expect you'll get a better result from Yamaha.

--Cy--
www.facebook.com/shusterpiano
Albuquerque, New Mexico

Registered Piano Technician
Dampp-Chaser Certified Installer
PianoDisc Certified Service Technician

#301304 - 05/26/06 07:07 AM Re: Problem with Yamaha C110 A (but not neccesarily down to Yamaha!)
Rich Galassini Online   content
8000 Post Club Member

Loc: Philadelphia/South Jersey
I don't have direct experience with this model, but if I am correct, it is built in Yamaha's UK factory using an action built in China. Although it is unrealistic to compare this piano with other Yamaha pianos you've encountered, the problem you are describing should not be happening.

My 2 cents,
Dir. Line (215) 991-0834
rich@cunninghampiano.com
Get Cunningham Piano Email Updates

#301305 - 05/26/06 07:57 AM Re: Problem with Yamaha C110 A (but not neccesarily down to Yamaha!)
mamma2my3sons Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Midwest of the great USA
In this thread below there is a photo of the C110a at the Pearl River factory in China. (Scroll down)
Has it changed to being built in the UK now?? I would think that would really make it much less competitively priced given wage costs. Maybe one of the Yamaha dealers will know this. Although not in the business it would make sense that the hierachy for Yamaha products is like other Asian pianos ie Japan at the top, (next Korea) followed by Indonesia and their Chinese stuff on the bottom. The C110A model is not even offered here in the US. Had you tried Yamaha's Chinese products before buying?

I'm sorry you're not pleased with your piano. I would do as Cy suggests.

http://www.pianoworld.com/ubb/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?/topic/1/10641.html

Best wishes.

#301306 - 05/27/06 03:04 PM Re: Problem with Yamaha C110 A (but not neccesarily down to Yamaha!)
Colin Crawford Offline

Loc: Cheltenham, Gloucestershire, U...
The C110 is now discontinued. It was built at Pearl River in China, although I suspect that the action which resembles the Japanese action as fitted to the old M108 model, is constructed with Japanese componentry. No part of it is made in the UK.

It should be quite possible to regulate the C110 to perform well, although since most were sold at a crashing discount, I'd doubt whether many supplying dealers ever bothered. What did you pay for yours?

#301307 - 05/27/06 03:07 PM Re: Problem with Yamaha C110 A (but not neccesarily down to Yamaha!)
8000 Post Club Member

Whoops - it is a PR??

Then I am wrong about it being made in the UK.

My most sincere apologies,
Dir. Line (215) 991-0834
rich@cunninghampiano.com

#301308 - 05/27/06 03:23 PM Re: Problem with Yamaha C110 A (but not neccesarily down to Yamaha!)
Colin Crawford Offline

Yeah it was!

There are no PR Yams being sold in the UK now, except for the Pearl River branded ones.

Yamaha have just introduced the b-Range; the b1 is 109cm and modern in style, very similar to the former C109, whereas the b2 appears to be a rebadged C113. Both are made in Indonesia. The old C110 was successor to the Eterna model which came from PR.

Unlike Japanese and Indonesian Yamahas, they were not so good out of the box, but can be made to perform very well. The case finish was superior to the Indonesian C109 and C113.

#301309 - 05/29/06 03:14 AM Re: Problem with Yamaha C110 A (but not neccesarily down to Yamaha!)
8000 Post Club Member

Thanks for the info. Colin.

I hope things are well on the other side of the pond.
Dir. Line (215) 991-0834
rich@cunninghampiano.com

#301310 - 05/29/06 05:19 PM Re: Problem with Yamaha C110 A (but not neccesarily down to Yamaha!)
Colin Crawford Offline

Things are well here, thanks for asking Rich!

The first of the new Yamaha b-Series are due in to the UK. I'm sure I'll see one soon. If the brochure is to be believed, the b2 has a more robust construction and fuller tone than the b1. Interestingly the b-Series can also be ordered as a Silent piano, but no mention is made of any MIDI capability. A trick missed here if that's the case.

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
153 registered (36251, Al LaPorte, Almaviva, acortot, 48 invisible), 1532 Guests and 29 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74223 Members
42 Forums
153542 Topics
2250198 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Yamaha U3FS
by Piotr Dydycz
1 minute 46 seconds ago
Uneven key balance
by Beemer
Today at 09:25 AM
Antique Piano Shop from TN
by IPDRPT
Today at 08:52 AM
Piano song requests?
by kent2012
Today at 08:19 AM
Requests?
by kent2012
Today at 08:06 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission