Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#302819 - 04/03/07 06:24 PM Need advice
Tincan Offline

Okay, I haven't been playing piano for years, but I want to get back into it. My husband and I live in Germany, so buying a digital keyboard from the USA is a possibility, but pianos in Germany seem to cost upwards of 3000 euro (about $4k).

I really want a piano, but we're going to be moving in June and shipping pianos makes me wince (it's free courtesy of the Army, but I'd have to have it tuned of course), but I've never played on a keyboard that I truly approved of. If I lived in the States still, I would be happy picking up a used piano in good shape, but my German isn't good enough to be comfortable doing that in Germany.

So my questions are these: I don't want to spend more than $1500-2000 on anything. Is this a reasonable price range? Is it going to buy me something high-end (where I could spend less but get something that works for my menial playing time), or is it still too low for something decent? Could anyone suggest brands/models for keyboards to look into, or perhaps websites with such info? I've been trying to find online reviews and whatnot, but nothing has been terribly helpful; even pricings range from a few hundred dollars to way too much. I don't know much about digital keyboards except that when I was playing back in the mid/late 90s, it was quite different from the feel of a real piano (as one would expect). Should I really try to find some local sales on pianos, or should I suck it up and buy something that's much more convenient?

Thanks in advance.

(ads 568) Hailun Pianos

#302820 - 04/03/07 06:29 PM Re: Need advice
Tincan Offline

Oh, I failed to mention: my piano playing skills back in the day were very high-quality (I was really up-to-date on classical music), so I am a bit picky with what I play on (hence, my displeasure at probably having to settle for electronic). I'll have to suck it up and play on something less than grand (harhar). I'm intermediate-advanced and would like to have something to get back into playing with, but also something that plays/sounds well.

#302821 - 04/03/07 06:30 PM Re: Need advice
Steve Cohen Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Maryland/DC/No. VA
Quite frankly, you budget is set too low for something decent, with one possible exception..

You could wait until you return to the US and keep looking in the classifieds and craigslist. You might get lucky and stumble onto a deal.

From a dealership, the best you could expect would be a 10-20 year old Yamaha console or something similar, and even that usually goes for ~$2000.

Consultant & Contributing Editor - Acoustic & Digital Piano Buyer

Jasons Music
Maryland/DC/No. VA
Since 1937.

www.jasonsmusic.com
My postings, unless stated otherwise, are my personal opinions, not those of my clients.

#302822 - 04/03/07 06:44 PM Re: Need advice
lilylady Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: boston north
 Quote:
Originally posted by Steve Cohen:
Quite frankly, you budget is set too low for something decent, with one possible exception..

You could wait until you return to the US and keep looking in the classifieds and craigslist. You might get lucky and stumble onto a deal.
[/b]
Hmmmm, Steve,

And I was thinking how lucky she is to be in Europe where there should be plenty of those quality made European upright brands around. '-)

I agree though that your budget might be a tad low. But then, most of us start out with a budget lower than what we end up with! Some on PW suggest digital but it sounds like you would prefer an acoustic. Me too.

I heard that Craigslist went European. Try googling it. Check with local teachers, technicians, tuners, shcools. Put your name in with stores.

You mention not finding out much online. Have you used the SEARCH Feature above? Days and Days of reading material there.

Good luck. LL

#302823 - 04/03/07 07:11 PM Re: Need advice
kluurs Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Chicago
I'd do electronic for now. Check the digital piano section of this board (e.g. Yamaha P-90).

Why? Several reasons - never need tuning - you can play without waking the whole world. Even if you have a Bosendorfer Imperial in your music room, you'll still want the digital for when the kids are sleeping. You can get a small enough digital so that you can bring it over to your parent's house to play holiday music. Best of all, it get's you started quickly. The money you save (you can get a p90 for $1000 or less) and no tunings) gives you a chance to get your savings for your "real" piano.

#302824 - 04/03/07 09:28 PM Re: Need advice
CozyWriter Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Chapel Hill, NC
I agree with the digital solution while in transit. That's going to be within your budget, no problems with tuning, and you'll have a "beginner" instrument (that still feels/sounds like a real piano!) to get you back "in tune" and sort-of up to where you were before. (caveat: be VERY very patient with that and don't fall into the dreaded "why can't I play like I used to as a kid" trap!)

Another option would be to investigate renting an acoustic piano while you're in Germany, then buy when you get back here. Again, you'll have time to get your fingers/arms back in shape before you drop the serious bucks.

And should it not work out.... you're only missing a couple of months' rental payments, but I expect better! It's really like riding a bicycle. In high heels. Downhill. On ice. \:\)

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
What's Hot!!
Our latest Issue is available now...
Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
121 registered (accordeur, AndyG123, Abby Pianoman, AndrewJCW, 33 invisible), 1777 Guests and 17 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75528 Members
42 Forums
156188 Topics
2293595 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Replacing a treble string-Steinway B-under the bass strings
by Greg the Piano Tuner
07/26/14 11:47 AM
New set of studies probing Does Practice Make Perfect?
by music32
07/26/14 11:25 AM
Toyama Piano- A Year On.
by TheAccompanist
07/26/14 09:39 AM
Frederick Historical Piano Benefit Concert - July 29 2014
by Terrytunes
07/26/14 09:25 AM
Using a (continuous) sustain pedal as expression
by barmassimo
07/26/14 09:06 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission