2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
70 members (bcalvanese, 20/20 Vision, booms, Cominut, 36251, Bruce Sato, Carey, crab89, AlkansBookcase, 12 invisible), 1,926 guests, and 274 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
A
AJS Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Hi everyone - HELP!? I have recently been in the market for buying a brand new Steinway grand, Models S (5'1") or M (5'7"). I know that a longer piano clearly resonates a bolder sound, but unfortunately I am somewhat bound by price, too. While I play, and love to play, this piano needs to be a quality instrument that will be enjoyed by my family for generations to come, i.e., I am not a Cliburn medalist lol.

The salesperson at the store told me that there is typically NO NEGOTIATING ON STEINWAY GRANDS' prices.

Can someone out there confirm from experience if this is true? I find it so hard to believe!

I'm interested in Mason & Hamlin as well, and understand that M&H may be more willing to negotiate.

I don't know - I've never paid list price for anything with as large a ticket as this - and wanted to see if other people have had this experience, and could share.

Thanks!

"The purpose of art is to illuminate the human condition."
S
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
S
I would also start a thread "Buying A New Grand In Chicago". This should help you locate dealers willing to deal.

I think you shoudl broaden your search. There is also a recent thread regarding M&H actual sales pricing so look at that as well. I also like Steinway but for the money it would be a good idea to look at everything available and visit every dealer you can.

Have fun,
Steve

"The true character of a man can be determined by witnessing what he does when no one is watching".

anon
A
AJS Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Thanks Steve - I'll start it right now.

K
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
K
Hey el cheapo, If you are looking for a Steinway, ante up! Mason dealers are also starting to tighten the reins. The costs of flooring these instruments and associated expenses of the sales force (I need gas for my vet) means the consumers wanting them should be able to afford them. Sure shop around but is 3 or 4 k really going to make a difference to a high roller like you?

Kenny Blankenship
Selling anything anyone will buy as the "Walmartizisation of the industry continues. (Still making a fair living and still having clients like me)
F
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
F
AJS

For the price of a Steinway M you can get a Mason BB and have lots of change left over!

Go see the Mason dealer Kurt Saphir Pianos in Wilmette. They not only have great instruments, but they have fair prices and no "phony baloney".

Good luck.

Amateur Pianist and raconteur.
AJS - Steinway pianos are not negotiable at Steinway-owned shorwroms. I believe (from memory, so it can be a little off) that the new S is currently retailing for approx. $43,500 and the new M is retailing for approx. $50,600. Prices from independent dealers may vary somewhat. Since Steinway does not have showrooms in Chicago, your dealer is an independent dealer, so do keep this factor in mind.

Steinway-owned showrooms always have very new pre-owned ones that are traded-in's, pianos that come back from festival loans, or rebuilt ones, etc. These usually are sold at about 10% discount compared with the new ones. So if you can make a trip to the NY area, you can check out the Steinway-owned showrooms in NYC, NJ and CT and perhaps make your selection this way. These showrooms are not that far from one another since they are all located in the NYC metropolitan area. May make sense to call ahead to get an idea what the current inventory is.

Steinway-owned showrooms also have sales on pre-owned pianos (same type, trade-in's, loaner returns, rebuilts, etc.) every year where they gather a bigger selection of these pianos in one place. But this also requires you to be in the area.

Not a bad thing if you and your family spend a few days in the NY area to shop for a piano and maybe catch a Broadway show, etc. laugh

Good luck in your search and please keep us posted regarding your progress.

AJB Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Don't believe the Steinway's are not negotiable hype. Dealers would say that. The US economy is recessionary and you are in a buyer's market. Use it.

C212. Teaching. Accompaniment.
A
AJS Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Thank you all - this has been very helpful to me so far. Yes even to you, Mr. Blankenship.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Many new Steinway buyers report being able to get prices at 90% of the true S&S MSRP. At the right time and in the right place and with the right salesperson and with the direct right approach I truly believe you can get the piano you want for even less. Dealers are encouraged to hold the line, but many get hungry from time to time.

Piano Technician, member Piano Technicians Guild.
Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
Originally posted by AJS:
Hi everyone - HELP!? I have recently been in the market for buying a brand new Steinway grand, Models S (5'1") or M (5'7"). I know that a longer piano clearly resonates a bolder sound, but unfortunately I am somewhat bound by price, too.
If you are new to the piano market - and I don't know for sure that you are - you should be aware that your first two statements are somewhat of a contradiction. If you are "somewhat bound" by price, then perhaps you should not be looking at Steinway. In those sizes (S: 5'1" at approx. $42,000.00 and M: 5'7" at approx. $48,000.00), there are better pianos for less money.

I have nothing against Steinway, but a 5'1" piano - no matter who makes it - is simply not a "good" musician's instrument from the standpoint of scale design and, hence, tone quality, regardless of other construction features.

Why would you then limit yourself to Steinway?

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
Online Content
I would avoid an S. Because of its size, most find it very limited tonally. And Kenny is right, if money is a consideration you should strongly consider Mason & Hamlin, assuming you like the tone.

You can get a Mason AA(6'4")for less than an S or a BB(7')for less than an M. Or you can get a Mason A for a lot less than an S.

R
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
R
Greetings! To the best of my knowledge and belief, Steinways prices are indeed negotiable. If they are not, wait for a sale at the nearest Steinway dealer--yes, they do go on sale, with regularity.

However, for the price of a Steinway, you should be looking at Mason & Hamlin pianos (which I personally prefer to Steinways), Estonias, and other high end brands. If you prefer the Steinway at the end of your search process, so be it, but you might find that you like another piano better, and can pay less for more piano, than if you were getting a Steinway.

In any event, your decision to get a Steinway should, at least in my view, come at the end of your search process, not at the beginning. A lot of people love the Mason BB. . . .seven feet of glorious sound for less than the prices quoted for the smaller Steinways.

Blahblahblah wrote:
Since Steinway does not have showrooms in Chicago, your dealer is an independent dealer, so do keep this factor in mind.
Not true. There is a real Steinway dealer and showroom in the Chicago suburbs. From the lake, it's about 45 minutes West on the Eisenhower, then I-88.

Steinway of Chicago
1205-A Butterfield Road
Downers Grove IL, 60515
(630) 512-9200
(800) 660-1683

Mary

Music should strike fire from the heart of man, and bring tears from the eyes of woman. -- Beethoven
Mary -- according to Steinway's website, there are only 4 Steinway-owned showrooms in the U.S. - in NY, NJ, CT and FL. The one in Chicago is an independet dealer and not Steinway-owned. Perhaps I was not clear in my post, but see the link http://www.steinway.com/steinway_sites.shtml

A
AJS Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Hi all - like I've said in my other thread...I'm still at the beginning of this process...and am open to a variety of brands...I guess when I was looking at the price angle of this process, and heard the dealer may not have been willing to negotiate, I was just surprised is all.

I've played other brands, and will be looking at M&H next, followed by Schimmel and Kawai.

Give me a chance - I'll get back to you guys after I've looked at a few more brands.

This has all been very helpful though - I appreciate the replies from you all.

S
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
S
Just keep in mind some dealers just won't deal regardless of the brands they carry. It is best to be open minded regarding choices if at all possible. The PW mantra - "visit every dealer you can and play every piano you can get your hands on".

Have fun.

"The true character of a man can be determined by witnessing what he does when no one is watching".

anon
F
F
AJS: I was in a situation exactly like you in 2004. Once I played a M&H, I never even looked back at the Steinway. I love my BB. There are lots of other great ones to consider, but unless you crave a particular Steinway, tone or action, the value equation for the Steinway simply does not play out. Good Luck!

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
AJS,

The price at Steinway of Chicago varies from one sales man to another. Don't deal with the older guys overthere, their prices are very high. They are experience salesmen. They know how rip people off. There is one very young guy overthere. I am not sure with his name, I think Brad something. Deal with him, he eagers to sell so his price can easily 5K lower than the older sharks.

I have tried so many pianos, unfortunately, I only like the tone of Steinway.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
If you're set on going the Steinway route and don't want to ante up full retail,search out for a low milage preowned one that is maybe 5-10 years new for near half of retail. If you're paying much precedence on a Steinway 5 year warranty,don't wink

www.pastperfectpiano.com
Largest selection in the USA
100+Steinway and M&H grands
Warehouse showroom Onsite Restoration
Preowned & Restored
Hailun dlr.818-255-3145
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_z8RvhXGKzY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Voo0zumHGgE
AJB Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Pianobroker - are you committing heresy here? Are you suggesting that new Steinway's rather than being an "investment" actually depreciate! By near 50% within 5 - 10 years?

Oddly enough that is exactly my observation too.

The new Steinway dealers will be after your blood.

C212. Teaching. Accompaniment.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission