2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
70 members (AlkansBookcase, accordeur, akse0435, danno858, David B, Barry_Braksick, BadSanta, danbot3, 13 invisible), 1,847 guests, and 304 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#32622 09/24/03 02:51 AM
Originally posted by Luke's Dad:
We did stop installing the old Piano Disc Quit Time system a while back, I'm not even sure if they are still manufacturing them. However, the Piano Disc 228 system has a feature that can be installed that works pretty well. They install a mute rail where a bar prevents the hammer from striking the strings. Combined with a midirecord strip under the keys, and the symphony pro feature, you then have the equivalent to Yamaha's Silent Piano. Of course, the sound is only going to be as good as the sample and the speakers or headphones, so you may want to shop for an additional tone module and speakers as well. Give me a couple hours and I'll get you more info on Seiler's system.
First, thanks for the information on the Seiler. I've only ever played one Seiler and unfortunately, it was badly prep'ed (It sticks in my mind because I wondered if the hammers had been replaced by tea spoons!). However, I've heard many good things.

Yes, the system you describe is actually all I want (and what the S is in C1S). I don't need orchestra, recording to disk/CD features, player systems etc. - just the bar and the sensors / headphones. The Yamaha sampling is actually good (IMO) by the way.

For the plain, standard silent system (only), is it still necessary to "cut" the piano as I've read that this is necessary (both here and in LF's book)? You imply above (at least, I understand) that you can just lay the strip under the keys (obviously securing it each end) and that's about it.

Regards,

Gary.

#32623 09/24/03 04:31 PM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Osakans:
4. The only differences anyone in the store could articulate between Disklavier and PianoDisc were 1) factory installation vs. retrofit and 2) 16 track sequencer on the Disklavier vs. 1 track on the PianoDisc. The store manager suggested that the only reason we'd get the Disklavier is if we wanted to use it to compose multi-track compositions.
Disclaimer: I sell both systems - I find the Disklavier to be a better system, but less versatile when it comes to piano selection. Both systems are great systems - I love the pianodisc for many of the things it does, but mainly because I can put it on anything.

It seems there is little support for the Disklavier on this thread, so let me fill in the blanks with information that does not to appear to have been offered. I would reccommend the Disklavier "A" series for the following reasons:

Optic sensor system vs. Analog - PianoDisc uses an analog record strip located beneath the keys. I have found the Disklavier to be more accurate in playback when I recorded something on it, as compared to when I recorded on the PianoDisc. The DC3A and above have two optic sensors, where the DC2A and smaller have one sensor. The extra sensor gives for more accurate recording (I have found the smaller Disklavier to be less dynamic in the recordings, but still far superior to the PDS228+)

Silent System: There is a button to the left that engages the "Silent mode" on the disklavier - it's a slick device that gives multiple advantages. When the button is pressed, a bar moves in front of the hammers blocking them from hitting the strings - instead you hear a sampled piano sound (that is the best sample I have heard on anything, anywhere). You can play the piano with headphones, or make the piano whisper quiet if you have the disklavier going during a dinner party. The Optic sensor really comes into play here: If you ever played a PianoDisc with quiet time installed, you would realize the piano sample and sluggish performance barely passes for a piano.

Software - The available pool of Yamaha artists for recording allows for a large quantity of quality recordings. The music available on the Disklavier is the best I have heard for any system. PianoDisk will play Yamaha floppys, but not their CDs - Yamaha CDs is where the Disklavier shines. Also, the orchestra related floppy disks don't perform as intended on the pDS228 because PianoDisc does not support Yamaha's XG MIDI format.

Piano Smart - Yamaha found a way to sync the floppy disk drive with the CD drive to allow simultaneous playback, giving birth to SmartDisk. Yamaha brings in pianists and records their perfomance with pre-existing CDs. This helps avoid copywrite laws becuase you already own the original CD or you will go buy it at Tower: All you need to do is buy Yamaha's suppliment floppy: When both CD and floppy are put into the disklavier, you will hear the piano accompany the original recording. This allows for a more expansive live audio library and they are being cranked out in droves.

SmartKey - The disklavier will "wiggle" a key waiting for you to play it, showing you the correct notes to play. This works on any disk you put on the disklavier, but it's not a method of learning how to play. It's more a "fun" thing to do with those who don't play at all: There are certain disks that take advantage of this with one note melodies accompanied by complex passages after every keystroke.

Sorry for the longwinded post.

Jeff Bauer | Keyboard Concepts

Yamaha | Schimmel | Bösendorfer | Knabe | Restored Steinway

My soundcloud page
#32624 09/25/03 07:44 PM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Gary P.:

For the plain, standard silent system (only), is it still necessary to "cut" the piano as I've read that this is necessary (both here and in LF's book)? You imply above (at least, I understand) that you can just lay the strip under the keys (obviously securing it each end) and that's about it.

Regards,

Gary.
Only if there is a player sytem mechanism is it necessary to cut the piano. The midi strip is very thin and lies on the keyframe. Some drilling may be necessary to mount the mute bar.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,633
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission