2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
40 members (Doug M., Davidnewmind, Dfrankjazz, brdwyguy, busa, benkeys, Burkhard, David Boyce, 20/20 Vision, 5 invisible), 1,124 guests, and 281 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#326759 10/03/08 03:06 AM
dim Offline OP
OP Offline
Yamaha top line upright pianos are consist from 3 series:
1. U Series (U1 & U3S)
2. YUS Series (YUS1, YUS3 & YUS5)
3. SU Series (SU7)

My question:
1. What is the differences between 3 series of that piano (U, YUS & SU Series)?
2. What is the differences between:
a. U1 with YUS1
b. U3S, YUS3 and SU7
Because they have same size.

Yamaha U3 PE
Roland RD-170
#326760 10/03/08 07:05 AM
T
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
T
I am not familiar with SU7, but I hope I can help out in the U series vs YUS series.

As far as I know, YUS series is now Yamaha's top of the line series, featuring many upgrades from the U series.
For instance, YUS uses better felt on the hammers than the U. It's told that YUS uses the same felts as their flagship CFIIIS. YUS also uses better quality of strings and perhaps better materials on building the bridges, soundboard etc.
YUS5 features the Ivorite keytop and sostenuto mid-pedal in which other uprights do not have.

I was told SU7 is only available in Europe and Japan, thus I am not sure if Indonesia has it or not.

If you want to go for a high-end upright, it should be YUS. If you need a best value for money, it's the U. You want a cheaper yet better value too? You can grab the U1J in which you might not like as it's built in your country.

Have fun, enjoy!

#326761 10/03/08 06:38 PM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I played a YUS5 at the dealer. Very impressive upright.

#326762 10/03/08 06:44 PM
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Some YUS models may have Ronson wurzenfelt cold-pressed hammers. YUS5??

It would good if a dealer could give the facts on YUS hammers.

Paging Marty laugh

Will Johnny Come Marching Home?
The fate of the modern wartime soldier
#326763 10/04/08 02:44 AM
I own a YUS1 so I'll share an new owner's mini review:

What I like: The piano just sings. It's a little piano, but it has amazing sustain and a real wide range of tones from a soft mellow tone to a biting attack when played hard. It has a pretty light fast action, but also handles aggressive playing well.

I was also surprised that the sustain pedal on this piano opened up an entirely new art form to me. I've never played an upright with such a range of sustain options over the entire range of the sustain pedal. This might be because the strings sing so much longer than my previous old Baldwin. You can apply just a touch of pedal and get a nice bit of sustain, or lay it down all the way and let the strings sing forever. It's not a grand piano, but I really think it's a great pro-quality instrument for a small upright (and well worth the extra money over a standard U1...I actually chose it over a less expensive U3).

Now what I don't like: The music rack is way too low and doesn't hold music well. It's just a few inches above the keys and I've bumped my hands into it on several occasion while jumping up and down octaves. Not a killer, but a bit irritating from the playing perspective (but maybe just my crappy technique). Also being so low means (at least for me, I'm tall) hunching to read music, so if you spend a lot of time reading, you may pay for it in the back. I'm actively looking for a solution to this as it's a drawback that has the potential to cause permanent injury.

Also, the piano has a quiet feature that doesn't perform as well as I had hoped. Basically the middle pedal drops a heavy strip of felt in between the hammers and the strings thereby deadening the attack. It works OK for making the piano fairly quiet, but not quite the middle of the night quiet required in a home with a family trying to sleep. It's other drawback (and this one is irritating) is that when the hammer strikes the felt strip, the felt strip hits the strings...but since it's one contiguous strip, it also just barely makes contact with the adjacent strings. As I said, this piano sings, so you definitely can hear those dissonant tones (most apparent in the octaves above the middle C octave). Now I didn't buy this piano to play with the quiet mode on all the time, but it would be nice if it didn't have that quirky side effect.

One other observation (not a plus or minus), but after reading a thread in this forum about pulling uprights away from the wall, I tried it with this piano. There was this weird point about 7 or 8 inches from the wall where I thought the piano tone from the player's perspective just went down the tubes. A little farther away was OK again, and a little closer was also better. I'm not sure what the reason is (an acoustics expert can probably enlighten us), but I would have been disappointed had the piano movers left the piano in that exact spot on delivery.

All and all, I do love this little piano...it's not my dream piano, but it's a great instrument. And it definitely meets my need of having a quality instrument to play on that the kids can play too without me worrying about them destroying it.

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,183
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission