Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#326771 - 12/20/07 12:37 PM Buying a Piano in Thailand
dreamtime Offline

Hello,

Can anyone offer suggestions for buying a good upright in Thailand? From what I can tell the best place to buy a piano is Bangkok but it seems to be expensive. I tried to look for used pianos but everyone I ask tell me there isn't a used piano market! \:\(

I prefer to buy a used upright if possible.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Stephen

(ads 568) Hailun Pianos

piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#326772 - 12/20/07 10:33 PM Re: Buying a Piano in Thailand
bkkmd Offline

Loc: Bangkok, Thailand
Hi,

There are plenty of used (grey market) Yamahas to be had all over the place in Bangkok. Yamaha in Thailand seems to be cheaper than in Europe or the US new but European and American pianos are quite a bit more expensive over here. However, other used pianos are a bit harder to find and generally used piano including grey market seems to hold value more than those in the US or Europe. Peterson on Sukumvit Road has a big selections of grey market Yamaha upright and Grands as well as new Petrof, Schimmel, Bechstein and Sauter. I find their used stuffs to be a bit more expensive than other place though. Another good place for used Yamaha is ?MusicLand on Amarin Plaza (the old Sogo building) but they may have moved though!. There is also a Ritmuller dealer in there somewhere. Robinson at Discovery Center is always fun to visit if you have budget for Steinway or Bluthner. They also have Boston/Essex stuff. Central Department store is the main dealer for Kawai. Their big piano showroom is at Central Rama III, I believe.
Amadeus Piano at Central World has Fazioli and Young Chang. I don't think they stock any 2nd hand piano but I might be wrong.
Le Clavier on Pattanakarn Rd has some grey market Yamaha, new Grotrian, Schultze Pollman upright (price quite competitively with new Petrof and new Yamaha) and some Chinese pianos. Chulairat Piano school near Bangkapi area also has a selection of used uprights, mostly Japanese as well. Somebody told me about another place that carries a good selection of non Yamaha grey market Japanese piano somewhere near Ekamai but I never went there. My information is about a year old since that was the last time I went piano shopping!

If you are looking for used piano but not grey market, the options here are pretty limited. Some piano stores do have some on consignments but there are not a lot. Currently I know of one Fazioli F212 that the owner want to sell but that's about it.

#326773 - 12/24/07 11:42 AM Re: Buying a Piano in Thailand
dreamtime Offline

Hello,

Thanks for the information. What is the price on the Fazioli? I think they are the most expensive in the world I read somewhere \:\)

S

#326774 - 12/25/07 10:22 AM Re: Buying a Piano in Thailand
bkkmd Offline

I am not sure about the cost of the used F212. My piano tuner mentioned it to me. A new Fazioli 185 is listed around 3.7-3.8 million bahts, that's around $US110,000. There is a demo older F212 that the store rented out regularly and it can be had for somewhere around 2 millions bahts, I was told. Last time I checked, you should be able to get a grey market Yamaha U3 or something similar around 110,000-120,000 bahts, I think.

#326775 - 12/25/07 11:51 AM Re: Buying a Piano in Thailand
dreamtime Offline

Regarding a piano tuner. I assume they are mostly only located in Bangkok. What happens if I need a piano tuner in Khon Kaen?

#326776 - 12/25/07 12:28 PM Re: Buying a Piano in Thailand
dreamtime Offline

I was considering buying a piano direct from China. A Hailun or a Schumann. You think this is a good idea?

#326777 - 12/25/07 06:26 PM Re: Buying a Piano in Thailand
bkkmd Offline

My piano tuner does travel around the country quite a bit. I am not sure about Khon Kaen but I could imagine that he may stop there once in awhile.

If you consider a Hailun, I would definitely check out Ritmuller (Pearl River) here in Bangkok since both are considered some of the better pianos from China. I believe there is 30% tax on imported piano. Also getting it out of custom will be a pain. Depending on your budget, a new Petrof or Schultze Pollman is around 300,000-350,000 bahts,

#326778 - 12/28/07 04:26 AM Re: Buying a Piano in Thailand
dreamtime Offline

Ritmuller sounds like something to check out. I've got pricing on Hailun and Artmann. The Artmann is very reasonably priced. The Hailun is more expensive. But either one is significantly cheaper if I ship it in myself.

It would be better to hire a freight agent to handle the customs so I don't have potential problems there.

#326779 - 12/28/07 04:29 AM Re: Buying a Piano in Thailand
dreamtime Offline

If I had more space here I would buy a grand. I can get a 1860 MM Shumann grand shipped in for 166k THB. Add 50k for 30% tax and its at 210k THB.

#326780 - 12/28/07 04:43 AM Re: Buying a Piano in Thailand
dreamtime Offline

What do you mean by "grey market"? Thanks.

#326781 - 12/28/07 10:23 AM Re: Buying a Piano in Thailand
bkkmd Offline

Grey market is basically used piano, mostly Yamaha imported in from Japan. For whatever reasons, there seemed to be plenty of used piano from Japan which nobody wanted to buy over there so many shops will import them. They may do some minor touch up job, mostly on the cabinetry before selling them. Usually most stores will have several to choose from. You can usually find some decent one among those. I forgot to mention that some of the piano stores such as Le Clavier and Churairat Music School also have their own house brand pianos made in China for similar price to what you are going to pay if you import it yourself.
Many people will also recommend that you should not buy a piano sight unseen as each piano can be very different even when it is from the same assembly line.
I saw Ritmuller at 2 places in Bangkok. The mian showrom is at Amarin Building across the street from Gaysorn Building, next to Erawan Hotel (Chidlom BTS station) and a smaller showroom at Fortune Town, 2nd or third floor at the hotel end (away from the computer/IT section).

#326782 - 12/29/07 08:19 AM Re: Buying a Piano in Thailand
dreamtime Offline

Ok. I got it now. I understand about not wanting to buy a piano sight unseen. But if I have no other option that's what I might have to do.

I'll be in Bangkok in the next week and will check out the Ritmuller shop at Amarin.

I may also be at the NAMM show in Anaheim Jan 18th. If I get there I'll be able to check out all kinds of pianos. That should be fun.

Thanks for the information.

#326783 - 12/30/07 05:17 AM Re: Buying a Piano in Thailand
Bear 1 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Hillsboro Beach South Florida
 Quote:
Originally posted by dreamtime:
Ok. I got it now. I understand about not wanting to buy a piano sight unseen. But if I have no other option that's what I might have to do.

I'll be in Bangkok in the next week and will check out the Ritmuller shop at Amarin.

I may also be at the NAMM show in Anaheim Jan 18th. If I get there I'll be able to check out all kinds of pianos. That should be fun.

Thanks for the information. [/b]
dreamtime,

NAMM is generally not open to the public..
If you are not connected to the musical instrument industry, you'll have to try to get a pass from a NAMM member ...
Maybe a Thai piano dealer that is a NAMM member could get a visitor's pass for you ...
Check out your options before you spend a lot of money to go to Anaheim and possibly not be able to get into the show.

Good luck.

Cordially,

Bear
(My posts and threads are my opinions only)

#326784 - 12/31/07 01:07 PM Re: Buying a Piano in Thailand
dreamtime Offline

I've already got a pass waiting for me at willcall \:\) I have friends that work in the industry.

I'm not just going to check out pianos as I can almost buy one for the cost of the ticket \:\)

S

#326785 - 12/31/07 02:07 PM Re: Buying a Piano in Thailand
Bear 1 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Hillsboro Beach South Florida
dreamtime,

Enjoy your trip \:\)

Best,

Bear
(My posts and threads are my opinions only)

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
145 registered (accordeur, Al LaPorte, Adypiano, 44 invisible), 1711 Guests and 24 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74223 Members
42 Forums
153548 Topics
2250336 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Spinoff: What do we think of "technique seminars"?
by TwoSnowflakes
30 minutes 25 seconds ago
Questions about Chopin Nocturne Op. 27 No. 2 in D Flat Minor
by noobpianist90
Today at 01:51 PM
A new performance experience... Need advice.
by Svenno
Today at 01:46 PM
Thoughts on the Yamaha P-255
by voxpops
Today at 01:17 PM
Piano Learning Myths...
by evamar
Today at 12:32 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission