Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#328333 - 12/28/08 11:52 AM upcoming yamaha piano sale at costco!
chicagofamily1 Offline

Loc: oak park, illinois
For those in the Midwest: I just learned that the Costco in Bloomingdale, Illinois (just west of Chicago) is hosting a Yamaha piano "roadshow" Jan. 2-11, 2009. Weird. Does anyone know anything about the pianos sold under this kind of arrangement? We have been looking at new Yamaha U1 uprights, but they are too expensive.

(ads 568) Hailun Pianos

piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#328334 - 12/28/08 12:02 PM Re: upcoming yamaha piano sale at costco!
mikhailoh Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Cincinnati
These are a dealer who has an arrangement with Costco to come in and do a floor show for a cut of any sales. You ar enot necessarily buyimng from Costco, nor will you likely get any better deal than if you went to the dealership direct.

====

He is so solemn, detached and uninvolved he makes Mr. Spock look like Hunter S. Thompson at closing time.'

#328335 - 12/28/08 12:06 PM Re: upcoming yamaha piano sale at costco!
terminaldegree Online   content
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: western Wisconsin
This has been discussed at length several times before on the forum. I suggest using the search function above first, then come back with any followup questions.
Casio px-200, Bechstein A190 #192939 @ home
Steinway A #585209, B #416809 @ work
Schimmel 130T #339100, on loan

#328336 - 12/28/08 12:57 PM Re: upcoming yamaha piano sale at costco!
Rickster Online   content

Loc: Georgia, USA
When I think of Costco I think of Suzuki pianos, not Yamaha.

Best regards,

Rick

#328337 - 12/28/08 02:37 PM Re: upcoming yamaha piano sale at costco!
Marty Flinn Offline
2000 Post Club Member

COSTCO sales events are encouraged and even driven by some manufacturers. Often local dealers are given the option to do the event or the mfgr's. team comes in to do the event. A price at these events may or maynot be lower than what your local dealer may do for you. There may be other perks associated with buying locally as well.

I have seen new Porche cars sold at COSTCO. No low stooping about it. Just additional outside exposure.

#328338 - 12/28/08 03:54 PM Re: upcoming yamaha piano sale at costco!
Norbert Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Surrey, B.C.
When Cosco gets involved, someone else needs to be paid.

Add to this the moving charges and then deduct about 18-20% from price.

Take this price to a local dealer and he will jump to sell you same piano.

Unless his nuts,greedy or both.

In which case he's plain stupid.....

Norbert

#328339 - 12/28/08 03:59 PM Re: upcoming yamaha piano sale at costco!

Thanks for the insight, Marty. Many of my “piano opinions” were formed based on what I have read here on the PW forums.

Best regards,

Rick

#328340 - 12/28/08 04:25 PM Re: upcoming yamaha piano sale at costco!
mdsdurango Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Durango Colorado
Rick,
If Sally has a bag of red apples and all red apples have stems do all the apples in Sallys bag have stems?

\:D \:D \:D

Love your logic!

Mike

#328341 - 12/28/08 06:40 PM Re: upcoming yamaha piano sale at costco!
Seneca Offline

Loc: Portland, OR
Some time in the last year I was in the Costco in Tigard Oregon. There was a 'piano event' going on, and I was stunned to see Boisendorfer and Estonia both displayed.
I told the rep I wasn't in any position to buy, unless he could throw the services of a divorce lawyer in as well as tuning for the first year. He laughed and said he was a piano salesman, not a home wrecker.
I think Costco has done a remarkable job making themselves a venue for a variety of different kinds of goods and services, for consumers, professionals and small businesses. The feel of the whole operation is as different from Walmart as can be.

#328342 - 12/28/08 07:20 PM Re: upcoming yamaha piano sale at costco!

Nice post, Seneca. Now I can associate Boisendorfer and Estonia pianos with Suzuki pianos at COSTCO. Suzuki pianos seem to be in good company at COSTCO these days. I wonder if some of the Boisendorfer, Estonia, and Yamaha quality will rub off on them. ;\) \:D

Happy New Year!

Rick

#328343 - 12/28/08 11:45 PM Re: upcoming yamaha piano sale at costco!
turandot Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Loc: torrance, CA
I was at my local Piggly Wiggly and they were having a Tokai Road Show right next to the hot links and the ribs.

#328344 - 12/29/08 12:45 AM Re: upcoming yamaha piano sale at costco!
Norbert Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Surrey, B.C.
 Quote:
I think Costco has done a remarkable job making themselves a venue for a variety of different kinds of goods and services, for consumers, professionals and small businesses. The feel of the whole operation is as different from Walmart as can be.
I agree - I like Cosco myself, they got the best German bread here in Canada....

However, in case of pianos the math would support the thesis that pianos can or at least *should be* available even cheaper directly from a dealer.

Especially concerning high end pianos where volume purchases is not an issue.

Dealer's price minus the 10% or so Cosco charges as commission.

Missed anything?

Norbert

#328345 - 12/29/08 12:48 AM Re: upcoming yamaha piano sale at costco!
Horowitzian Offline
8000 Post Club Member

I buy a lot from Costco, but I reckon I'll pass on Costco pianos. :rolleyes:

My local Costco had a piano sale several years ago. Mostly Yamahas and that sort of thing.

#328346 - 12/29/08 02:30 AM Re: upcoming yamaha piano sale at costco!
theJourney Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Banned
 Quote:
Originally posted by Norbert:

Missed anything?

Norbert [/b]
Yes. As a matter of fact you have.

1. COSTCO is running a high inventory turn, in/out business and their overhead-to-sales ratio is dramatically more favorable than that of a typical piano dealer -- even while paying their employees better wages and benefits than both Wal*Mart and the typical piano dealer; they do not need to make the same "killing" margin per unit sale to still book acceptable financial results.

2. The participating manufacturer and/or dealer can generate additional sales including impulse sales by tapping into:
- the higher floor traffic consisting of a different mix of (often high-disposable income) shoppers than may find their ways to a piano store,
- inherent trust in the COSTCO name,
- consumers' desire to "get their money's worth" from their membership fees,
- consumers' desire for superior terms and conditions such as 100% satisfaction guarantees and full return options and
- shopping experience which requires no distasteful haggling in a moldy-smelling mortuary-like showroom with some shifty guy called Larry, please, call me Larry, who has stains on his tie and something stuck between his teeth and can't seem to remember the same inflated list price of his pianos from visit to visit. \:D

I would not hesitate to recommend someone buying a solid product such as a Yamaha U1 or U3 sight unseen from COSTCO. In fact, I can't think of a more time and energy efficient way to buy a decent piano for a young student at a decent price:

- no having to study the Byzantine workings of the US piano industry by buying a Fine book and spending evenings on self study;
- no need to visit multiple dealers who won't help you on the telephone in order to narrow your selection and try to get an honest price;
- no need for used-car-sales-lot negotiation;
- no need for the gut-wrenching decision process of first time buyers:
* should I trust this store without price tags?
* should I trust this piano without a history or a known brand name?
* how can I tell this is a good choice for Sally and that I am not making a big mistake on a big-ticket purchase?
* what if I don't like the tone of the one they actually deliver to me or we simply change our mind and want our money back?

You get a solid, workhouse piano with warranty from the largest, most successful piano manufacturer in the world with consumer-friendly terms and conditions, an easy, low-risk purchase process and professional service and post-purchase care from a local Yamaha dealer who wants to keep your family as a customer and source of referrals for the next 20 years. For 90% of first time, time-pressured buyers that is superior to buying in a piano store.

#328347 - 12/29/08 03:38 AM Re: upcoming yamaha piano sale at costco!
jman37 Offline

Loc: Tampa, fl
I think the concept is a good one and hopefully it will work. The folks who shop at Costco seem like the exact demographic of people who purchase pianos. Lots of business owners and others with expendable income.

And I would venture to say that the dealers are REALLY lookin to get some sales from these exposures so one could really bargain hard to get a really good deal if you felt up to the task, IMO.

#328348 - 12/29/08 11:07 AM Re: upcoming yamaha piano sale at costco!

Wow, nice posts, everyone! I never realized that shopping at COSTCO was such a good experience. I’m not a member of COSTCO, but after reading this thread I might just join. (Not that I have time to do a lot of in-house shopping \:\) .)

Take care,

Rick

#328349 - 12/29/08 12:10 PM Re: upcoming yamaha piano sale at costco!
turandot Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Rick,

My comment was facetious. If you are inclined to receive it as an insult, think about how your own comments might be received by the many members here who shop Costco and by the few who own Suzuki pianos. Those comments are posted from ignorance if you have no first-hand experience with either.

Just because Suzuki is a forum whipping boy, doesn't mean that you have to put another log on the fire by pulling it into an unrelated discussion. If you do put a log on the fire, don't be surprised if you get singed by a flying spark.

#328350 - 12/29/08 01:13 PM Re: upcoming yamaha piano sale at costco!

Now, that is a lot better, turandot. You were lenient with me to start with. I thought you had lost your touch there for a minute.

Happy New Year!

Rick

P.S. To Chicagofamily1: I apologize for getting off on a tangent in your thread.

#328351 - 12/29/08 01:42 PM Re: upcoming yamaha piano sale at costco!
jman37 Offline

Loc: Tampa, fl
Making lots of friends on Piano World Turandot?

Are you this good at making them in real life? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

#328352 - 12/29/08 02:33 PM Re: upcoming yamaha piano sale at costco!
Horwinkle Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I wonder ... Is Costco selling pianos? Or are they simply hosting the piano manufacturer (or a dealer) in their store?

If it's the latter, that might be okay.

But if Costco is the retailer, I'd be disinclined to buy there. What kind of piano service could you expect from Costco?

#328353 - 12/29/08 02:34 PM Re: upcoming yamaha piano sale at costco!
Horowitzian Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by L Horwinkle:
I wonder ... Is Costco selling pianos? Or are they simply hosting the piano manufacturer (or a dealer) in their store?

If it's the latter, that might be okay.

But if Costco is the retailer, I'd be disinclined to buy there. What kind of piano service could you expect from Costco? [/b]
In the instance I mentioned, they were hosting a local dealer. \:\)

#328354 - 12/29/08 02:35 PM Re: upcoming yamaha piano sale at costco!
Horowitzian Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jman37:

Are you this good at making them in real life? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: [/b]
If you don't get turandot's sense of humor or his tendency to not mince words, why say anything at all? :rolleyes:

#328355 - 12/29/08 03:03 PM Re: upcoming yamaha piano sale at costco!
Marty Flinn Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Price Club (COSTCO now) debuted piano road show sales events over twenty years ago. This is not something new. They have had them in Ancorage Alaska, and Honolulu, Hawaii and all U.S. parts in between. Many West coast clubs have events as often as three times a year.

They serve as the host for the event that is staged and manned by either a local dealer or a sales force from the manfacturer. The sales are rung through the COSTCO register. The prices are fixed and given actual sku numbers. COSTCO gets a cut of the take and the dealer gets the rest. All move-in, move-out, sales commissions, service expenses are paid by the dealer. Buyers pay delivery.

At the inception the sales were very strong, but just like the College Sale or Armory Sale events, have fallen with repetition.
Warehouse Club piano prices are typically at the very low end of the dealer spectrum. Norbert's observation that 20% off the warehouse club price is readily available is not my experience.

Rickster,
Be very careful about forming opinions about products by association. That would be a mistake.

#328356 - 12/29/08 04:37 PM Re: upcoming yamaha piano sale at costco!

Thanks for the advice, Marty. And thanks for the rare glimpse into the real world of the piano biz. We don't seem to get much of that around here.

Is this the flip side of “guilt by association”? \:D

Take care,

Rick

#328357 - 12/29/08 05:48 PM Re: upcoming yamaha piano sale at costco!
turandot Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Whoah, Rick!!!

If you feel personally slighted, please send me a PM. There are enough drama queens here without you and I auditioning for roles.

I have a PM penpal here who owns a Suzuki. He doesn't post much (care to guess why?), but his piano makes him happy. I think there are a lot of pianos that get kicked around here on a regular basis whose owners in the real world are happy with them. To me, that's worth something.

Personally, I don't know that much more than you about Suzuki pianos. When Suzuki shoppers' questions come up here, my usual comment (if I make a comment at all) is that Suzuki does not compete openly in the US market and that fact makes it difficult to assess the pianos and (somewhat justifiably) leads to distrust. I know that they do compete in piano showrooms in Canada. I don't know why they don't do it here in the US.

The Suzuki / Costco connection is that Suzuki pianos are a regular item in Costco's Internet shopping menu, but are usually not to be found on display in their stores. Apparently many of those who order Suzukis take advantage of Costco's super-liberal return policy. What happens to returned Suzukis has itself been a topic in this forum on several occasions. I really don't know the what's, the how's, or the where's.

All of the other pianos for sale at Costco mentioned in this thread are put there by piano retailers seeking exposure. Costco has a habit of startling its shoppers with unusual items on display. It adds some life to the dreary bulk-paks of their usual inventory. I once rounded the corner of an aisle and saw a display of coffins. It woke me up in a hurry!

Please be careful about inferring that I'm a dealer. Piano retailers have their standards. They might get angry at you for implying that I am one of their brethren. \:D

#328358 - 12/29/08 06:44 PM Re: upcoming yamaha piano sale at costco!
mdsdurango Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Durango Colorado
 Quote:
Originally posted by turandot:

I have a PM penpal here who owns a Suzuki. He doesn't post much (care to guess why?), [/b]
Dang TD, at first read I read "(care to guess who?)". That could have been an interesting who of who's!
As for "why"; no need to guess.

(QUOTE]Originally posted by jman37:

Are you this good at making them in real life? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

"On the mountain of the Lord it will be provided"
[/b][/QUOTE]

If there is one man on these forums who says most often what I am often thinking (but hesitate to put into words) and most often says even more, with passion and intellect and knowledge, and who's posts I make a point to read, it is Turandot.

Rickster, don't take things to personally. I watch all your videos and think your Tokia sounds great!

As for Costco, I've never been to one. If there is a constant amount of pedestrian travel I can not help but think that it would be good for the piano industry regardless the maker.

What Lord? What Mountain? And what is provided?

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
128 registered (Almaviva, anadyr21, AmateurBob, A Guy, Anne'sson, 33 invisible), 1417 Guests and 44 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74318 Members
42 Forums
153719 Topics
2253435 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Whole tone scales leading to interesting series of keys
by caters
04/25/14 12:16 AM
Another beginner
by mojoe
04/25/14 12:02 AM
GH1 tuning pin torque
by awyaks
04/24/14 11:38 PM
Will you take Manhattan?
by davefrank
04/24/14 11:31 PM
Growing student
by pianoplayer84
04/24/14 11:19 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission