Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) End Stage Fright
End Stage Fright
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#336272 - 02/27/07 11:42 PM Seller of Piano Cancels Out of Deal at Last Minute
pianosrule Offline

Loc: Canada
I just wanted to know what your opinion is of a seller cancelling out of a private piano sale transaction one day prior to the expected delivery of the piano.

The seller accepted our offer on his piano and then phoned us 5 days later saying that he changed his mind and wasn't ready to sell yet - the delivery of the piano was scheduled for the very next day after his devastating phone call!!

Do you agree that this was an unkosher thing for the seller to do because he waited so long before changing his mind? Does this type of thing happen sometimes in a private transaction sale or is this not a typical situation?

(ads 568) Hailun Pianos

piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#336273 - 02/28/07 01:40 AM Re: Seller of Piano Cancels Out of Deal at Last Minute
Norbert Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Surrey, B.C.
As long as you will receive a full refund, there isn't much you can do.

It's an unfortunate thing to happen, but it can.

Rest assured if I would have been the seller, it would never have happened to you..... ;\)

More luck next time!

Norbert

#336274 - 02/28/07 08:55 AM Re: Seller of Piano Cancels Out of Deal at Last Minute
CozyWriter Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Chapel Hill, NC
What Norbert Said.

the seller probably wrangled a "better" deal from somebody else.

But I would be sure and hit up the faux seller for any moving expenses you had, too. In theory, you should be $0 out of pocket at the end of the ordeal, minus any personal expenses you had to go see/try out the piano, or have it checked out by a third party.

#336275 - 02/28/07 09:55 AM Re: Seller of Piano Cancels Out of Deal at Last Minute
gryphon Offline

Loc: Okemos, MI
Nothing you can do about it.

I bought a car once. Dealer and I agreed on price. I was approved for financing. I was waiting on the VIN number so I could get insurance, etc. and I was minutes away from buying plane tickets online to fly down to Atlanta to pick it up when the dealer sold it out from under me.

Nothing you can do about it, but it doesn't make you feel any better.

#336276 - 02/28/07 11:17 AM Re: Seller of Piano Cancels Out of Deal at Last Minute
Monica K. Offline

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012

Loc: Lexington, Kentucky
I'm sorry this happened to you, pianosrule. Some people just don't have any sense of integrity.

And, yes, it does happen, and not just in a private transaction. We had a PW member who wired something like $40,000 to a dealer for a used Bosie, and the dealer kept stalling and stalling on the delivery with ever-increasingly absurd excuses (e.g., the movers had "left the piano in a hotel room"!). The customer eventually got his money back, but only after a hassle, but he really wanted the piano, which evidently the dealer sold out under him to somebody else.

#336277 - 02/28/07 11:22 AM Re: Seller of Piano Cancels Out of Deal at Last Minute
kokomo61 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Herndon, VA
Not much you can do.....most likely, the seller got a better offer from someone else, and decided to sell to them....

If you had a written sales contract, and/or had paid for the piano, you could sue for specific performance, but if it was a verbal agreement and no money had exchanged hands, you're kind of up a creek.

If you were out any money for the delivery, you can go after them in small claims court, but it only makes sense if you've got some documentation....
Estonia 190, #6098

#336278 - 02/28/07 11:40 AM Re: Seller of Piano Cancels Out of Deal at Last Minute
lilylady Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: boston north
Sister just sold her Baldwin spinet piano.

Had second thoughts right to the day of purchase. Felt very sad about giving up her piano. But since she gave her word, THAT was more important to her. But for her honesty and word, I am sure she would have decided to keep it. Even though she hadn't played it in years.

I suggested that if she later wanted another one, there are plenty of used Baldwins that she could purchase again. She never will, but I understood her agony over giving up her piano.

Maybe this person also had last minute blues.

CONTRACT and immediate payment are best.

Hope you find another soon.

What was it? Maybe members here can help.

#336279 - 02/28/07 12:13 PM Re: Seller of Piano Cancels Out of Deal at Last Minute
pianosrule Offline

Thanks for all of your replies and sharing any personal stories that you had.

I guess I'll never find out the truth, whether he got a better offer from someone else or as lilylady said, "maybe had the last minute blues". All I can tell you, is that I was kind of in shock for the whole day when he phoned with the bad news. Even for the few days after that, I felt almost like I was grieving a loss, even though I never ended up physically having the piano.

I wasn't ripped off financially for anything, just emotionally ripped off. The seller sent me a cheque in the mail reimbursing for our piano technician's cost; however, I forgot to claim for the cost of arranging the bank draft. So in the end, I was out $6.50 and the time and gas mileagge for the couple of times that we went to look at the piano.

We only had a verbal agreement, but next time, I'll make sure to have a written agreement in place, signed by both parties.

My husband said that had he known that the seller would cancel out, we would have arranged for immediate delivery of the piano on the same day as the offer was accepted instead of arranging delivery for 5 days afterward.

Oh well, lesson learned! Maybe (hopefully) an even better piano will come along, but in the meantime, I'll just patiently wait.

#336280 - 02/28/07 12:22 PM Re: Seller of Piano Cancels Out of Deal at Last Minute
lilylady Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: boston north
And the piano was....

????

Still curious as to whether this was the deal of the century for you!

Emotionally disappointed, we can all understand.

May the next deal be better.

#336281 - 02/28/07 12:26 PM Re: Seller of Piano Cancels Out of Deal at Last Minute
AJB Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Surrey, England
Dont worry, there are far more pianos out there than people who are anxious to buy them. Another deal will come along.

#336282 - 02/28/07 12:28 PM Re: Seller of Piano Cancels Out of Deal at Last Minute
Igor Stravinsky Offline

Yes, tell us what the piano was, please...

#336283 - 02/28/07 12:44 PM Re: Seller of Piano Cancels Out of Deal at Last Minute
Rickster Online   content

Loc: Georgia, USA
Hi Pianosrule,

I don’t know if this will make you feel any better or not but I had the exact same thing happen to me several months ago.

I was checking out Craigslist early on a Saturday morning; saw a 20 year old D.H. Baldwin baby grand (5’8”) (made by Samick) advertised for $3000. It seemed like a very good deal to me. The location of the seller was about 20 miles away (almost next door). I called and set up an appointment to look at it that afternoon at 4:00 pm. I got to the $1,000,000 home (which was also up for sale) and looked at the piano and after playing it for 15 minutes I told the seller I will buy it. In the mean time, the seller explains that he and his wife are getting a divorce and was liquidating all their assets.

I had called a local mover before I actually looked at the piano and got a price and estimated time he could move the piano, which was that following Tuesday (so far, all ducks in a row).

I knew the piano was worth $3000 and I did not attempt to negotiate the price. I was willing to pay his advertised price of $3000. Since I did not have $3000 cash in my pocket on a Saturday afternoon I offered to write the seller a personal check; he did not want a personal check and wanted cash. I had $200 cash in my pocket and offered him the $200 as earnest money and agreed to pay him the balance in cash when the movers came to move it. He says OK and writes me a receipt for the earnest money. I was very happy and excited about my piano purchase.

That Sunday evening (the next day) the seller calls and says he and his wife/soon to be X-wife had an argument about the piano and had decided not to sell it and agreed to give me back my $200 earnest money. I say OK and that I did not want to get in the middle of a divorce dispute.

The next day I go back to his house and get my $200.

Two day later, the same piano is back on Craigslist for $4500.

With ethics like that I can see why his wife was divorcing him.

Best regards,

Rickster

#336284 - 02/28/07 01:11 PM Re: Seller of Piano Cancels Out of Deal at Last Minute
pianosrule Offline

Hi, Rickster:

I love the way you wrote about your personal experience. Well, at least he was ethical enough to give you back your $200. I hope that you were successful in buying another piano at a reasonable price after that upsetting experience.

I wish that people would be honest enough to say that they've had second thoughts about the asking price and now the asking price is ?$$$ and do you still want to negotiate and make an offer? That way, you still get first choice as to whether you want to still negotiate or walk away from the sale.

----------------------

It was a Kawai GS-40.

----------------------
Hi, AJB:

Thanks for your comforting words. I hope that I have enough patience to wait that long. "It's almost like waiting for a perfect alignment of the stars". For me, it has to be the right brand, in good condition at the right price financially.

#336285 - 02/28/07 02:06 PM Re: Seller of Piano Cancels Out of Deal at Last Minute
RickG Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Texas
pianosrule,
Although I feel your sadness, I am grateful that you did get your money back. Keep looking, there is a better deal out there. You just have to find it.

#336286 - 02/28/07 07:09 PM Re: Seller of Piano Cancels Out of Deal at Last Minute
Anne Francis Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Toronto, ON
Rickster, you never know, it could have been the WIFE who insisted he get more money for the piano...

Check out my blog! www.annefrancis.ca/blog

#336287 - 02/28/07 07:30 PM Re: Seller of Piano Cancels Out of Deal at Last Minute

Anne said:
 Quote:
Rickster, you never know, it could have been the WIFE who insisted he get more money for the piano...
Hi Anne,

Very true... when the guy told me he and his wife, who was there at the time, were getting a divorce and liquidating all their assets, I kind of got an odd feeling in my gut. My intuition turned out to be correct. I fugure it was one of those deals that was just not meant to be.

Pianosrule said:
 Quote:
I wish that people would be honest enough to say that they've had second thoughts about the asking price and now the asking price is ?$$$ and do you still want to negotiate and make an offer? That way, you still get first choice as to whether you want to still negotiate or walk away from the sale
Pianosrule, I agree with you totally. If the guy had called me and said "look, I'm afraid I have initially underpriced my piano and have decided to raise the price and are you still interested". I would have had more respect for him had he did that.

Instead, he underhandly relisted the piano at a higher price after he told me they changed their mind about selling it.

Regards,

Rickster

#336288 - 02/28/07 11:09 PM Re: Seller of Piano Cancels Out of Deal at Last Minute
CozyWriter Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Chapel Hill, NC
 Quote:
Originally posted by Monica Kern:
...ever-increasingly absurd excuses (e.g., the movers had "left the piano in a hotel room[/b]
OMG!!

Did this involve illicit video clips showing up on the internet that included either Rob Lowe or R. Kelley doing Unspeakable Things with the (ahem) Long Stick?

#336289 - 02/28/07 11:11 PM Re: Seller of Piano Cancels Out of Deal at Last Minute
P.J. Offline

Rickster,
let's just say he doesn't get an offer at 4,500 or anything else for that matter. He then calls you and says, "I've changed my mind again and will sell for the 3,000." What would you say? Would you buy it?

(I'm just a curious person even when it comes to trivial little details)

#336290 - 02/28/07 11:17 PM Re: Seller of Piano Cancels Out of Deal at Last Minute
gryphon Offline

Loc: Okemos, MI
edit

#336291 - 03/01/07 08:08 AM Re: Seller of Piano Cancels Out of Deal at Last Minute

P.J. said:

Quote:
Rickster,
let's just say he doesn't get an offer at 4,500 or anything else for that matter. He then calls you and says, "I've changed my mind again and will sell for the 3,000." What would you say? Would you buy it?

(I'm just a curious person even when it comes to trivial little details)
Hi P. J.,

You know, I did think about that possibility. However, after the fact, I beleive I would not want his piano for any price (although $3000 was a bargain, in my view).

In all fairness, I hope they sold their piano and things worked out OK for them.

I'm a forgiving person (but my brain is not programed to forget \:D )

Regards,

Rickster

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
156 registered (Almaviva, ando, adanepst, 52 invisible), 1478 Guests and 41 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74206 Members
42 Forums
153496 Topics
2249281 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Teaching memorization
by clarikeys
04/16/14 07:45 AM
Accepted Procedure for Having a Piano Tech look at a piano?
by Paul678
04/16/14 07:19 AM
Tips for playing a piece through
by Hemmingway
04/16/14 06:40 AM
Temperature and tuning
by Beemer
04/16/14 04:46 AM
Tired Fingers
by adanepst
04/16/14 01:45 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission