Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#336800 - 01/17/04 11:09 PM Kawai vs. Story & Clark
lori2 Offline

Loc: Orange County
Hello Everyone,

I'm in the beginning stages of research - looking for a baby grand (with electronic self-player). Please forgive my ignorance....

Does anyone know anything about Story & Clark? I have never heard of them. The baby grand that I saw was a 'Prelude'.

How do these compare to Kawai baby grands?

We are looking for a piano to enjoy the electronic player AND for beginning children.

Thank you!! I am glad to have found this board.

Lori2

(ads 568) Hailun Pianos

piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#336801 - 01/17/04 11:28 PM Re: Kawai vs. Story & Clark
PIANOS007 Offline

Loc: POMPANO BEACH FLA.
Lori, Story and Clark are made in Dongbei China and The pianomation systems are installed in their facility in Pa. They are an entry level piano. Not bad for the money but you can do better. Kawai is a different animal. Kawai makes several different levels of pianos starting with the GM series GE series and RX series. How to tell the difference? The price of course. There is no free ride with pianos. Entry level pianos are a small price and Top of the line pianos tend to cost a lot more money. So which Kawai are you looking at?

#336802 - 01/18/04 04:37 PM Re: Kawai vs. Story & Clark
Jim Volk Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Jacksonville, Florida
Also worthy of note...Dongbei is one of China's more reputable piano builders. In addition to the Story & Clark, they also make pianos under the names Suzuki, Nordiska, Hallet Davis & Co., Ridgewood, Everett, and several others.

We sell both Story & Clark and Hallet Davis, and aside from an occasional minor imperfection in the case poly or plate finish, we've had very positive results. Story & Clark fully preps the Prelude (tuning, regulating, etc.) in their factory, and you can save quite a bit of money by buying their factory installed QRS system rather than getting a tech to install their aftermarket kit.

They do a nice job of voicing, and you can tell the difference if you compare the similar Dongbei model Hallet Davis alongside the Prelude, right after unpacking. A little history...Melville Clark, who joined pianomaker Hampton Story in 1884, founded the QRS company as well (in 1901). Story and Clark made pianos continuously for almost a century until the mid 1980's, and resumed again in 1993 when QRS purchased back the Story & Clark name.

If you are comparing a 5' S&C Prelude to the 5' Kawai GM series, you may discover that you like the sound of the S&C more. It has a different scale design and over a hundred square inches more of soundboard area than the GM. As 007 indicates, Kawai's GM is their entry level piano, and not the same level of quality as their RX's.

Quality-wise, Story & Clark's Dongbei pianos do not have the track record that Kawai has, because Dongbei is a much more recent entry on the world piano market. But from my experience of almost five years, and based on the testimony of others even longer in the industry, I can safely say that the Prelude is a decent value (you should pay under $9K for the piano alone...always be prepared to negotiate!).

Another option is to find a used Kawai KG series (something close to 6' or larger if you have room for it), and retro-fit a QRS or PianoDisc player system on it. You may end up paying the same amount as if you had bought the system on a smaller, brand new piano, but you will be getting an appreciably better sounding and playing instrument. And remember, a 10 or 15 year old piano is still fairly "new", comparable to a 2 - 4 year old car.

-Jimbo

#336803 - 01/19/04 11:26 AM Re: Kawai vs. Story & Clark
lori2 Offline

Thank you so much for your posts!

Specifically, the 2 pianos I am asking about are:

1) a USED Kawaii GM-2 with a PDS-128+ player system installed by the dealer. Asking price $9,900.

2) a NEW Story & Clark, Prelude, with an QRS player installed by the dealer. Asking price $10,000 complete (including tax and delivery).

Thank you for your insight!

Lori2

#336804 - 01/19/04 11:33 AM Re: Kawai vs. Story & Clark
lori2 Offline

I should clarify that we would like to buy a piano to enjoy 'the player'. In addition, I plan to play for my own enjoyment and my children are beginners. We don't have an experienced 'ear' so while I would like a nice sounding piano at a good price, I am not worried about getting a top of the line one.

Thank you again!!

#336805 - 01/20/04 01:33 AM Re: Kawai vs. Story & Clark
Jim Volk Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Jacksonville, Florida
Tough call to make without seeing and hearing.

Your advantage is, both pianos have players, so you can listen to each one (turn down the volume on the speaker so you can focus on the piano only), and see which one sounds better to you.

I think Kawai's warranty is transferable, so it may be worth finding out whether it's still in force on the GM.

I'd probably tend to lean a bit more towards the new S&C. The player system alone retails for close to $5K, so you're saving quite a bit by having it factory installed. But I'd still let my ears help make the decision. Also, see which piano can play the softest using its player system, without starting to miss notes (i.e., the key goes down, but note fails to sound).

Make sure the PianoDisc system will be compatible with a CD player, so you can get live orchestral accompaniment like the S&C QRS system provides. Floppy disk operation alone will only allow you to have digital (electronic) accompaniment, which can get old after a while.

-Jimbo

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
160 registered (ando, accordeur, 36251, 48 invisible), 1918 Guests and 60 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74230 Members
42 Forums
153553 Topics
2250395 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
OT: John Passion
by wimpiano
19 minutes 39 seconds ago
3/4 time for 6/8 time comping patterns?
by Ben Ther
19 minutes 47 seconds ago
Shanks with parallel wood grain
by JohnSprung
37 minutes 47 seconds ago
Pinblocks & bridges... How long do they last?
by Piano Practice
54 minutes 43 seconds ago
Spinoff: What do we think of "technique seminars"?
by TwoSnowflakes
Today at 02:46 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission