2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
35 members (beeboss, Animisha, Cominut, brennbaer, crab89, aphexdisklavier, admodios, busa, drumour, Foxtrot3, 3 invisible), 1,277 guests, and 258 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
A
alleon Offline OP
OP Offline
A
im a beginner, and i couldnt play anything from memory.

is it kinda weird to bring a rather simple piano score and play it at the store?

5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
I think it would be weird not to. Also it might not hurt to take along a more advanced friend, or maybe even your teacher once you have a short list.

Slow down and do it right.
[Linked Image]
C
C
Given the choice--bringing music, or making a purchase with a lot of zeros at the end "blind," without a useful test?

Be weird.

If they would rather laugh at you than take your money, you deserve a better dealer, anyway.

Congratulations on buying a piano!

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
who cares what they think?

accompanist/organist.. a non-MTNA teacher to a few

love and peace, Õun (apple in Estonian)
D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
Although I have been playing for years, I can't play a thing without a score. So if I was trying out pianos, I would definitely take some music with me.

Bear in mind though that your piece(s) might not cover the whole range of the instrument. So in addition to playing the piece(s), why not try some arpeggios or chords, in different keys, in different parts of the keyboard. Also perhaps some scales. The idea being to listen for the tone in the various registers, and also to get a feel of the action. Try playing very quietly. Does it feel as if you are in control? Don't forget that your objective is not to give a good rendition of the piece, but to listen critically to the sound of the piano, and to judge the feel of the action.

D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
Sorry, I somehow managed to press the "add reply" button twice.

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Good advice from David-G.

I'd also add the suggestion that you don't try to play entire pieces from start to finish... if you do, you'll start worrying too much about playing it "right" and cringing when you make a mistake. You also want to play stuff you're very comfortable with so you can concentrate on listening to the piano and not getting the notes right.

When I was auditioning pianos I would just play little snippets here and there, and whenever I made a mistake or had a memory lapse I'd stop and it would just sound like yet another snippet. laugh laugh

Please don't worry about the people in the store. They have heard it all, and as long as you don't play chopsticks you'll be fine. smile

F
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
F
You're not being auditioned, the piano is.

The best auditioning material is the music that you like to play or listen to being played. In addition to David G's and Monica K.'s suggestions, you can also move the melody up an octave and the bass down an octave. Playing your music both softer and louder than usual will help you to explore the character of a piano - does timbre change with volume?

Using the pedals will help you to evaluate dealer prep,

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Originally posted by apple*:
who cares what they think?
What she said! :rolleyes:

WHAT???????
Yamaha S6, U5C, P120
http://michaelstith.com
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Greetings alleon,

Most dealers are mainly concerned about helping you choose a piano that will best meet your needs, not how you play it nor whatever music you brought along to help you play it.
Many piano salespeople can't play worth a hoot anyway, music score or not.
Relax, enjoy your piano auditioning journey and don't make it a worrisome trial for yourself.
Have lots of fun and make it a memorable adventure.

Good luck with your hunt for "the one." smile

Cordially,

Bear

Barry J "Bear" Arnaut ♫
46 Years in the Piano Industry
Retired Kawai/Shigeru Kawai Regional Manager
(My posts and threads are my opinions only)
F
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
F
Alleon

Believe me, as slow as business is right now, I don't think they would mind if you brought in a 3-piece combo to back you up as you play!

They just want you to come in!

Amateur Pianist and raconteur.

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014
1000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014
1000 Post Club Member
Good advice from all.

I tend to hang out at the local dealerships and I always have some trusty, well worn music scores in my hand.

You should do whatever you feel comfortable with. It does not matter at all how you choose to audition a piano at the store. You are the customer. That is the most important thing.

Take your time and get to know any pianos that "strike your ear." Even if it is "chopsticks", do play it in all octaves.

Please let us know how your search is going.

Marty in Minnesota
B
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
B
When I was buying my teaching piano I saw lots of candidates over a period of time at different stores.

I took several books of music with me and played for an hour on the few ones I finally considered. The rest of them, I knew within 5 minutes or less, that it was not the piano for me.

You either feel good and sound good and react well to this piano or it's not the one you want. Any even slight negative is to be considered to be a "no go".

I would never buy a piano without having spent time playing it myself. You'll find yourself admiring the things about the piano you are feeling and hearing.

The potential of the piano is brought out by it's pianist, but the piano must have the capacity that you are looking for.

In addition consider price and guarantee offered - it is all part of the analysis if you are budget conscious.

I'd say play until you've falled in love with it and just have to own that piano - not another one from a warehouse or on order - that particular piano is the one you want.

Have fun and good luck shopping!

Betty

R
R
If the dealer has a problem with you taking an hour or three or five........LEAVE.

I have several customers that have made numerous trips to our store in the past few weeks and they have taken many hours to play. So What?
If I had a problem with that then I should be in a different business.

AGAIN-IF THE DEALERSHIP HAS A PROBLEM LEAVE. Come to San Diego, I would love to hear you play.

Ric Overton
ric@pianosd.com
PianoSD.com-San Diego

Ric Overton
Ric@PianoSD.com
http://PianoSD.com
R
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
R
Definitely bring music with you. One way to learn about pianos is to play your own music, so you can listen without having to concentrate too hard on getting the notes right. Another thing: it is a good idea to play the same piece on each piano you are trying out. You can get a really good comparison that way.

Originally posted by Ric Overton:
If the dealer has a problem with you taking an hour or three or five........LEAVE.

I have several customers that have made numerous trips to our store in the past few weeks and they have taken many hours to play. So What?
If I had a problem with that then I should be in a different business.

Ric Overton
ric@pianosd.com
PianoSD.com-San Diego
But I don't think it's fair or reasonable to play more than a certain amount of time if other potential buyers show up. They really can't listen to a piano they're considering if you're playing also. Of course, you can wait until they are done and then continue playing.

Similarly, if you've already been to a dealer a few times and a potential customer shows up, I think you should stop playing and continue only when they leave.

If you're at a dealership that has several rooms with doors separating them then you don't need to stop.

S
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
S
alleon,

Years ago, I went to Steinway Hall in NYC to have a look at pianos that were well beyond my means.

They had a significant supply of scores on hand for potential customers who didn't bring their own music!

Steven

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
I took music when I was serious about piano shopping. As Monica suggested, I would just play a few lines, or a page of each piece rather than trying to play the entire piece. At first I was not very comfortable playing in stores, but it became easier as I went along. Play loud, play soft. Note the differences. Is the piano easy to play softly? Does it sound pleasant when played loudly, or are the overtones jarring? Try repeating a single note quickly. Use the index fingers of both hands to do this. Can you outplay the action? If you can, don't buy that piano. Other than that, just find the piano that sounds and feels best to you within your budget. Good luck and have fun.

Dennis
[Linked Image]
flickr

My family, wife, 12 year old child, and I have just purchased a new Schimmel after much playing and deliberation. All of us took scores to each dealer we visited. I never once felt odd about it. Spending the kind of money that a good piano demands necessitates a long audition and if you have little or nothing memorized, please take scores along and don't let dealers hurry you. Enjoy the search, take your time, play a lot of instruments and ask lots of questions.

Schimmel 230T, Kawai 650 (6'8"), Willard Martin Saxon Harpsichord, Schlick French Double Harpsichord
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
There's nothing wierd about that. Piano people are used to hearing people play -- even beginners.

I have it on inside information that piano salespeople LOVE Fur Elise. They never ever hear it and love to hear it played on their pianos.

Full-Time Music/Entrepreneurship Major: (Why not compose music AND businesses?)
Former Piano Industry Professional
Steinway M
Roland Atelier AT90R
All Posts are Snarky Unless Otherwise Noted
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,179
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission