2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
56 members (Aleks_MG, accordeur, brdwyguy, Carey, AlkansBookcase, 20/20 Vision, 36251, benkeys, 9 invisible), 2,042 guests, and 334 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#342840 12/03/08 04:18 AM
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
So...how does one choose a piano? By touch, tone, appearance (quoting Fogvillelad), or is there something else operating at a subconscious level that pulls one towards certain brands, countries of origin, pedigree? Putting aside for a second the whole debate about Chinese/Indonesian piano longevity, why would one choose one brand over another?
What another thread revealed (to me, at least) was that when one doesn't have the opportunity to see a piano but can here it being played, guessing its country of origin proves to be extremely difficult, but when one "knows" how a piano should sound because of its brand then certain assumptions are then made about why it cannot be as good as others from more established piano building countries.

So, does anyone choose to share what made them avoid certain pianos and choose the one they did?

Recordings of my recent solo piano and piano/keyboard trio jazz standards.

mjs Offline
I think it is a little bit like choosing a partner - establish what you can afford at the most (with this I don't mean the "initial budget" that few people stick to anyhow, but the absolute limit), then play as many pianos within that range as you manage. You'll know which one is "the one" when you play it (at least I did -- any other instruments after that were more or less for confirming that the first impression was the correct one).

Steingraeber D-232 # 45 777
Neupert Telemann harpsichord
T
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
T
I don't think the preference of a brand, country of origin etc. occurs in subconscious level. Somehow, these factors do play a part in resale value and sign of prestige.

Brands are influencing the resale value strongly, IMHO. If going by Larry Fine's ranking, a Young Chang Platinum is of the same group with a Yamaha C. But, a YC can never be sold at a price same with Yamaha C given both of them are in the same condition, same ages etc. Of course, the price might be influenced by the original price bought, but on resale market, Yamaha surely has a wide market compared to a YC.
In short, brands plays a part in reselling by commanding higher prices and wider market.

If you are given the same money to buy one of the following pianos -at the same price-, will you get a:
1. Shigeru Kawai 9', or
2. Kawai 9'?
For the same money, I believe many people will go for Shigeru Kawai. Don't forget Kawai concert grand is also handcrafted and I believe the difference in performance level will be very small (Disclaimer: It's my guess, I have no experiences on either of them.).
Why do people opt for the Shigeru? Because it represents sign of prestige.
(Anyway, if one could let us know the technical difference between the SK-EX and normal EX, perhaps this example can become useless.)

Why Young Chang wants to have a Albert Weber in which the pianos are identical at all?
Imagine you have friends visiting your house, given that you are very confident to impress your friends with the piano, will you prefer to let your friend to see a Young Chang or Albert Weber on the fallboard?

In my own dilemma, I am avoiding some stencil brands even if it's from Hailun. I feel that the resale value has played a part for me to avoid the stencils. Other people may have other reasons to avoid stencils. And of course, if Hailun is becoming the next Yamaha in piano industry, then the Hailun brand name can be a sign of prestige as well.

In my case the instrument had to fullfill my needs and expectations. It did not matter which brand. So, I auditioned many different brands, and let each instrument speak to me.

This being my 6th grand - I have owned European and Japanese brands, which unfortunately met with demise under my hands laugh i knew exactly what I wanted in a piano. And it was.....

Tone
Touch
Reliability
and......
a certain connection with the instrument which is soooo rare.

So auditioned piano after piano - and 2 years later ended up with an RX6. The instrument responds to my particular style of playing. Nuf said! smokin

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
Another interesting thread, Newguy.

Here is another example of what you are referring to (I think). It seems strange that a not-so-highly thought of brand can sound so nice.

http://www.pianoworld.com/ubb/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?/topic/1/24476.html

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Is this the thread where we get to find out what you bought?

[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Casio Ap-200
Almost midway thru Alfred's All-In-One Book Two
Blogging my family's piano learning experiences: http://aw2pp.blogspot.com/
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Putting aside for a second the whole debate about Chinese/Indonesian piano longevity, why would one choose one brand over another?
Easier said than done.

I can do it more than some because I don't play an acoustic at home nearly as much as most here. In ten years on a home acoustic I will probably play the equivalent hours that some here will in one. From that I can exprapolate that the point at which a Chinese piano will collapse into a pile of sawdust and scrap metal will occur somewhat later for me. laugh The same would hold for how often hammers might need to be voiced or the action regulated. Ability to hold a tune is another matter though.

Nevertheless, following your cue to put aside longevity concerns, I would be very leery of the piano that speaks to me in a given moment and favor the piano that can communicate what I want with the most immediacy and accuracy in its response.

I don't know enough about action geometry, lost motion, aftertouch, etc. to know why it is so, but I know that certain manufacturers produce products that are , for lack of a better word, tight. You can sense that almost nothing is lost in translation between the strike of the key and the the responding sound. I don't mean tone. That's a whole other something. Over the years I have found that I tire of any piano's tone that I live with and play with more interest, concentration, and attention to detail on someone else's.

Dynamic range would be big for me if budget were not a concern. My own experience is that most instruments that can be manipulated easily at the soft end of the range require an expenditure beyond what I feel is practical for me. So if a piano that I can afford has some of that, it's a big plus.

This is admittedly a messy answer to your question.

New guy,

I didn't respond to your other thread for several reasons.

1) I don't want to make a fool of myself.

2) I've used a small T-mike extensively. A T-mike in particular, and recording in general, can produce results that are way different from live listening and most significantly, listening while playing.

3) Any piano that would tie Prospero, J Pels, and me together (as you alluded to on your other thread) would be a piano from heck. laugh

Will Johnny Come Marching Home?
The fate of the modern wartime soldier
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by turandot:

New guy,

I didn't respond to your other thread for several reasons.

1) I don't want to make a fool of myself.

A fool? Never! I believe your opinions are solid and well thought out. Truly.

2) I've used a small T-mike extensively. A T-mike in particular, and recording in general, can produce results that are way different from live listening and most significantly, listening while playing.

Well, in my experience, the better the mics the better the reproduction, so in this case if it sounds nice with a "T" mic you can extrapolate any further niceness from your imagination. Same goes for headphones/speakers. I wonder what most people listened to the recordings on. If speakers, probably much bass was lost in favor of more midrange.

3) Any piano that would tie Prospero, J Pels, and me together (as you alluded to on your other thread) would be a piano from heck. laugh [/QB]
Oh come on, how would you three entertain yourselves one without the other?

S
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
S
I responded in the other thread and now know what the outcome was (nice choice). I do think it's time to make that information public (actually it's long overdue).

When I was shopping I looked for a number of things; responsive action, elegant tone and an ability for the piano to jump out of the box. In other words I wanted the capability of a big sound. I wanted to know that if I dug in the piano could give me that grand sound. It's surprising how few pianos are actually capable of doing that. It's equally important to have control of the quiet side, but I didn't find that capability to be as rare.

Steve Chandler
composer/amateur pianist

stevechandler-music.com
http://www.soundcloud.com/pantonality
http://www.youtube.com/pantonality
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Always Wanted to Play Piano:
Is this the thread where we get to find out what you bought?
Maybe. But only after enough tears are shed and perhaps a bit of gnashing of teeth, etc, etc.

I am tempted to tell. Really I am. It's just that as soon as I do, peoples perceptions will automatically change about the recordings, and hence the piano in question.

Its a Brodmann.

Ok, its not. But it could've been. smile

1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Steve Chandler:
I responded in the other thread and now know what the outcome was (nice choice). I do think it's time to make that information public (actually it's long overdue).

When I was shopping I looked for a number of things; responsive action, elegant tone and an ability for the piano to jump out of the box. In other words I wanted the capability of a big sound. I wanted to know that if I dug in the piano could give me that grand sound. It's surprising how few pianos are actually capable of doing that. It's equally important to have control of the quiet side, but I didn't find that capability to be as rare.
But Steve, what I also wanted to avoid was a continual ad for my piano, and to justify why I bought it. I'm not sure that it is a good thing for people to keep on plugging their brands as individuals. Nor do I think its very healthy for the buying public to hear from dealers talking about why x piano is the choice to get these days. Its exactly this kind of information that perhaps clouds peoples judgements.

And besides, everyone who wanted to know already knows. A simple PM was all it took.

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Newguy,

If you want to be a ringmaster, you should join the circus or host a tv talk show.

Will Johnny Come Marching Home?
The fate of the modern wartime soldier
M
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
M
Originally posted by turandot:
Newguy,

If you want to be a ringmaster, you should join the circus or host a tv talk show.
Once he names the piano, his 15 mins of fame is over... laugh

Come on Jim...spill it...

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Clearly, for most shoppers budget and size restrictions will always apply. Often there are other more powerful considerations in play.

Imagine standing in front of the paint brush display at home depot. Three choices, good, better, best. $.85, $5.95, or $15. Often a physchological battle takes place. Not worthy of the best. Too good for the cheapest. Middle ground is safe. Happens in wine selection, and lots of other purchasing decisions, even pianos.
One shopper thinks "I don't like to clean brushes, so I'll buy the cheapest and throw it away when I'm done. They might also do this on a piano choice. Another shopper might be a perfectionist and frequent painter that knows that the best brushes deliver the best finished result. They might be high end buyers in mentality if the budget does not prohibit.
When a prospect comes in and asks to be show uprights in the $4000 range I show those first, but before the interview ends I will show them the $2500 ones and the $8000 ones and guage their reaction to the choice offerings. More often than not, the shopper seeks their own level of comfort for reasons that have little to do with performance, warranty, or branding.

Co-Author of The Complete Idiot's Guide To Buying A Piano. A "must read" before you shop.
Work for west coast dealer for Yamaha, Schimmel, Bosendorfer, Wm. Knabe.
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by newguyonforum:
So...how does one choose a piano? By touch, tone, appearance (quoting Fogvillelad), or is there something else operating at a subconscious level that pulls one towards certain brands, countries of origin, pedigree?
In addition to touch, tone and appearance, one might also consider the bouquet and taste of the piano. Does it have a pleasant or unpleasant nose? Does it taste like a fine piano should? Is there an unpleasant aftertaste?

If these qualities are still insufficient one could hire an astrologer, psychic, or matchmaker. smile

Online Content
I kind of enjoyed Newguy’s little “guessing game”. It was interesting and fun; plus the piano recording was great as well as his playing.

Also, he gets to see how many PW members, who were informed via PM as to what the mystery piano actually is, are trustworthy in honoring his request to not reveal his secret on the forum until he was ready. I think he has found that they all are. thumb

This is a great forum with great members (for the most part wink ).

Best regards,

Rickster

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Rickster:
Also, he gets to see how many PW members ... are trustworthy in honoring his request to not revile his secret ...
I like that! laugh

Online Content
Whippen boy said: quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by Rickster:
Also, he gets to see how many PW members ... are trustworthy in honoring his request to not revile his secret ...
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I like that!
Whippen boy, you need to take another look at my post… I haven’t the foggiest idea what you are talking about. (Thank goodness for the “edit” feature). laugh

Rickster smile

M
M
To answer the original poster, for me it was the following two qualifiers... in this order:

1) American-made

2) The best value/quality for the $$$, including having no flakeboard or chipboard.

This is what opens my wallet.

Charles R. Walter 1520 QA Mahogany #531739 w/ High Polish, Renner and Quiet Pedal
K
K
Great thread, newguy...

I played piano for many years when I was young and then dropped out in my early twenties. (I've been playing guitar since then) I spent all of my practice time on an upright and had the good fortune at times to play on Tier 1 pianos such as Schimmel, Bosie and S&S. I've kept my chops up a tiny bit over the years on a (gasp) digital.

Recently, my family chipped in to help me buy a Grand. My prejudice, subconscious or not was that a grand needed to be European or American to be a "real grand". Anything Asian was just noisey furniture. I had no idea about the whole stencil branding thing. So, when I sat down at what i thought was a Euro piano (Nordiska, Palatino, Pramberger) i was dissapointed! With a little research, i found out who was making these pianos. Would a good voicing and regulation improved them? proabably, but my prejudice and the whole controversy about Chinese/Indo/Korean pianos was getting in the way.

When i sat down at the RX-2 that i eventually bought, i was blown away. I had to really look at my mindset about Asia built pianos. I have to say this was not a big jump for me since i'm half japanese. I'd love to own a Lexus or Infinity and I always loved the Yamaha guitars. I can't say that of products from the other Asian countries.

Tone, dynamic range, touch, reputation, budget and appearance were all important factors in my decision. Maybe a Samic or YC can sound every bit as good or better than my RX2, but this has not been my experience with the ones that i played.

I should also mention that I was blown away with many of the top tier pianos and I also played some that were not to my liking at all. But, these were out of my budget. And even if they were, just because they have a great name on the fallboard doesn't mean that i would like them.

Newguy - maybe your question is more about why *I* think a grand should be Euro or American?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,293
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission