2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
55 members (Carey, AlkansBookcase, brdwyguy, 20/20 Vision, Charles Cohen, 36251, benkeys, clothearednincompo, bcalvanese, 6 invisible), 1,885 guests, and 282 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#344118 04/17/05 08:02 PM
D
DaWF Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Curious, what aren't all peices written in "simple" keys like C, D, G, or ones with relatively few sharps or flats. Why do composers chose a key signatures that's ackward or difficult to read when, to an extent, any peice could be written in C?

#344119 04/17/05 08:05 PM
A
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
A
How long have you been playing? Eventually reading keys other than those "simple" ones is not at all awkward or difficult to read.

The pianistic advantage of some keys allow for much easier performance. I guarantee you that Ondine or half of the Liszt Sonata would not be playable if you put it in the key of C.

#344120 04/17/05 10:29 PM
Also, each key is unique in its sound and its character. Not all major keys sound the same. A piece written in C sounds different than in Ab major. Try for example, transposing a piece like the Chopin's etude no.3 to another key. The notes may sound the same, the character of the piece is somewhat different.

#344121 04/18/05 02:03 AM
T
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
T
It's actually an interesting question with respect to music which either has no key or juxtaposes many keys. I suppose in these cases, unless reasonably long sections exist using the notes of one scale, you might as well use "C", i.e. no key signature and just stick in accidentals. Even then, on the occasions I've written out that sort of stuff I still find it probably helps the reader (and me) to write accidentals as nearly as possible in combinations I would use if there were a key. I would probably tend to write, for instance, G,Bb and Eb rather than G, A# and D# - because I would tend to think of the simplest description of the group I already know, which happens to be tonal even if the piece is not.

Having had no training at all I don't know what "theory" says about this. Does each composer just devise his own expedient way according to each piece or are there modern "rules" ?

"Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law" - Aleister Crowley
#344122 04/18/05 05:42 AM
A
A
1)Despite its familiarity C major is not the easiest key to play the piano in.

2)Some instruments 'read' C major and play in another key. When pianists play with such instruments they'll read the other key.

3)Restricting ourselves to one tonal centre would be quite a step back. Would we be allowed to modulate? Even if we transposed a piece from F# to C if it modulated to F major we'd have to go to Cb/B.

4)Given the above, composers generally choose the simplest notation. That is, they use Ab major instead of G# major etc.

#344123 04/18/05 06:02 AM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
(correct me if I'm wrong here)

Back in the days before we had the even tuning that we have today, each key was a bit different.

So....

The interval between a C and an E would be different than the interval between, say, an F and an A. It may be a few cents higher or lower.

Because of these differences, different keys had different "character." Beethoven always considered Eb to be "heroic (look at the 3rd symphony). C minor was tragic, and so on.

So some of the characteristics of the piece really had to do with the fact that they DID sound different, because the tunings were slightly different.

I also heartily agree that some things are easier in some keys than others. I watched (I think) Gavrilov play the C major prelude and fugue from the WTC I. He comments that it's difficult because "it is all so white."

Some people feel (like Chang) that the first scale you should learn is NOT C major, but B major - your fingers naturally do on the right places of the black keys.

George

[Linked Image]
#344124 04/18/05 06:27 AM
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by DaWF:
Curious, what aren't all peices written in "simple" keys like C, D, G, or ones with relatively few sharps or flats. Why do composers chose a key signatures that's ackward or difficult to read when, to an extent, any peice could be written in C?
Like everyone else pretty much said, C major is not the easiest key to play in.

Music tends to modulate to different keys.

I couldn't imagine playing Chopin op25#1 or Schubert Op90#3 in the key of C major.

#344125 04/18/05 07:56 AM
M
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
M
C major is a very awkward scale, because your thumb has to play on the same level as your other (longer) fingers. On ones like B major, your hand fits into the first 5 notes (for example) much easier than C. The easiest kind of scales are (for me) the ones that start on a sharp or flat.

It works the opposite though - imagine playing the Chopin 10/2, in Bb minor...

#344126 04/18/05 03:05 PM
D
DaWF Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Looking at these posts, and realizing I understood all of this, I'm not exactly sure why I posted this.. Apologies

As compensation, all of Edward MacDowell's music for solo piano:
http://aurora.wellesley.edu/macdowell/contents.cfm

#344127 04/20/05 02:59 PM
everyone says that a song is harder when sharps or flats [black keys] are involved. but to me, that isn't true.

but i know of a songstress who composed, wrote, and sang a song, and recorded it in C Major. but when she performs it live, she plays it in B Major, [even though i like it better in C Major, b/c it's the original key] and i think the reason for it is that it's easier to play that way, and she's less likely to make mistakes, b/c the black keys are easier to see, farther apart, and you don't have to stretch your hands as much. since all of the keys in C Major are together [it's the only chord with and all natural scale (all white keys, in Layman's terms)], you're more likely to flub notes, b/c your fingers could slide to the wrong key.

[Linked Image]
#344128 04/20/05 03:24 PM
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Lumi:
Also, each key is unique in its sound and its character. Not all major keys sound the same. A piece written in C sounds different than in Ab major. Try for example, transposing a piece like the Chopin's etude no.3 to another key. The notes may sound the same, the character of the piece is somewhat different.
In an interview after a recital at Mannes, Earl Wild played this Chopin Etudem in a different key(can't remeber which one) to show that he thought it sounded better transposed to that key.

#344129 04/20/05 06:24 PM
Another factor could have been the cost of printing and ink...depending on the key your in, applying a key signature in the beginning would eliminate the need for inserting accidental signs all throughout the music. This would be easier on the eyes in a way as well as maybe cut down costs of printing.

#344130 04/20/05 06:55 PM
M
M
I have to agree with some previous people. C major is a hard major key to play in. Just try playing the scale. It is far easier for me to play C# major or D major.

#344131 04/21/05 07:22 AM
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I believe Chopin taught the C major scale to his students last, as he believed it was the hardest. I agree with that, you're just lost in a sea of white - there are no black keys to help mark your way.

I remember in a competition I had to play three scales of my own choice and I picked E, Db and Gb - the judges couldn't believe I picked those - but those are among the easiest (in my opinion). I probably scored an extra point or two for originality as they said everyone else picked C, G, and D.

What you are is an accident of birth. What I am, I am through my own efforts. There have been a thousand princes and there will be a thousand more. There is one Beethoven.
#344132 04/21/05 08:15 PM
A
A
Originally posted by DaWF:
Reading pieces that have key signatures that contain sharps and flats is no problem with a bit of practice. It's just a matter of practicing scales, becoming familiar with the different keys, observing key signatures, and then training yourself to "think" in that key while you're playing the piece. And, as others have said, each key has its own unique character and tone. Ultimately, key signatures will become your friend, as I think most pianists who have been playing for a while will agree that accidentals are actually more of a pain to read than a note which is in the key signature.

#344133 04/21/05 08:18 PM
A
A
Originally posted by 8ude:
I believe Chopin taught the C major scale to his students last, as he believed it was the hardest. I agree with that, you're just lost in a sea of white - there are no black keys to help mark your way.

I remember in a competition I had to play three scales of my own choice and I picked E, Db and Gb - the judges couldn't believe I picked those - but those are among the easiest (in my opinion). I probably scored an extra point or two for originality as they said everyone else picked C, G, and D.
Yeah, that's interesting. If I were asked to play three scales, I think I'd pick C Minor, G Minor and possibly C. Those seem to be the ones I have under my fingers the best, but I'm pretty good at all my scales, I suppose.

#344134 04/21/05 10:23 PM
Because some people like a challenge.

"The Lord Almighty is the only one capable of fully understanding her nature, man can never tame her. We can only await her visit."
#344135 04/22/05 01:22 AM
F
F
For violin, composers like to use keys that resonate with the open strings of the instruement- G, D, A, E. F major is a very awkward key for violin, since a lot of playing is done in 2nd position (most violinists hate 2nd position).

I imagine winds have similar issues.

I wonder if composers choose a key first then start writing, or start writing, then transpose up or down if necessary...

#344136 04/22/05 06:44 AM
G
G
All very well said, but any time a key signature has more than 4 flats or sharps, as a site reader, I start to feel opressed.

When playing a piece in a key with 6 or 7 sharps or flats, the accidentals can become nightmarish to figure out on the fly.

George
#344137 04/22/05 08:03 AM
A
A
Key sigs with more sharps/flats are more difficult to sight-read, no doubt. Not to mention the terror that ensues when one glimpses the scary chiastic form of the double sharp! lol!

I read that bach wrote some of the more remote wtc fugues in more familiar keys before transposing them. Still, as far as the physical performance at the piano is concerned, many passages fit more nicely under the hand when at least one of the three middle fingers can take a black key.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,293
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission