Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) End Stage Fright
End Stage Fright
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#344320 - 06/18/07 08:53 AM Re: Hey pianists -- wouldn't this be fun? (**now with music!**)
pianojerome Offline
9000 Post Club Member

Hey Matthijs,

I just played through your piece -- very nice! At the very end, the 2nd time through, I added an F major chord, just to give it some closure -- or did you want to end on C?

This would be a neat piece for some of us to compare our figurations of the left hand.

(ad) Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#344321 - 06/18/07 09:33 AM Re: Hey pianists -- wouldn't this be fun? (**now with music!**)
mahlzeit Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Netherlands
Hey Sam,

I'm glad you like my piece. \:\)

You are right: I would end on F chord too. I made the leadsheet very quickly and I didn't put a full arrangement in. I'm not even sure I really play the A part in 3/4. \:D

I downloaded yours as well, but haven't played it yet. I'm not a very good pianist, but this looks like something I could handle. ;\) Will give it a try soon.

#344322 - 06/18/07 02:04 PM Re: Hey pianists -- wouldn't this be fun? (**now with music!**)
cccyyy Offline

Loc: Canada
good idea,
I'm starting my first year in composition this upcoming semester so this could be really good resource

thanks a lot

#344323 - 06/18/07 04:00 PM Re: Hey pianists -- wouldn't this be fun? (**now with music!**)
pianojerome Offline
9000 Post Club Member

Matthias, have you thought about turning the 3/4 section into a waltz?

Here's what I just played, and I think it sounds great even though really different from your recording!

-- mm. 1-12, waltz-style
-- mm. 13-16, one solid chord per measure
-- mm. 17-24, arpeggios

and then the last time through, at the very end, an F Major arpeggio to the very top C on the keyboard, with D added each time... and then lowest F on the keyboard to finish it off.

And the whole time, I played your melody an octave higher.

What do you think?

#344324 - 06/18/07 04:43 PM Re: Hey pianists -- wouldn't this be fun? (**now with music!**)
mahlzeit Offline
1000 Post Club Member

That would work. I played it with arpeggios all the way through but some variation is welcome indeed.

I must admit I didn't spend a lot of time rehearsing or arranging before I made my recording. So I'm certainly interested in other types of arrangements, which is one of the reasons I made it a leadsheet instead of a note-by-note transcription.

Do you have a recording perhaps? It would thrill me to no end to hear you play it the way you just described. \:\)

I spent a few minutes on your piece tonight but F minor is not a key I'm very comfortable in. It sounds interesting, though! Of course, I hope that the more advanced pianists that hang out here will spend some time with our pieces. Ted2's compositions are *way* out of my league. \:D

#344325 - 06/18/07 09:27 PM Re: Hey pianists -- wouldn't this be fun? (**now with music!**)
pianojerome Offline
9000 Post Club Member

Hey Matthijs,

Here is a recording I made tonight. I hope you like it!

Looking at Each Other

I was also a little nervous about Ted2's "Portrait". \:D But I've been playing around with a few lines of his "Blackcurrant Blues", and it's quite good!

#344326 - 06/19/07 04:30 AM Re: Hey pianists -- wouldn't this be fun? (**now with music!**)
mahlzeit Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Very cool, Sam! I have it on repeat here. \:\)

I like the trills, nice touch. It's indeed very different from my recording but it still sounds great (heh heh).

Thanks so much for recording this, it makes my day!

#344327 - 06/19/07 05:22 PM Re: Hey pianists -- wouldn't this be fun? (**now with music!**)
pianojerome Offline
9000 Post Club Member

Here's a good topic for general discussion:

When looking at a leadsheet such as mahlzeit's that just has the melody, and no left hand accompaniment, what do you do?

--- Do you sit down and compose by hand a left-hand part?
--- Do you improvise as you go along?
--- Do you sit and think for a few minutes and get some idea of how to do it, and then improvise from there?
--- Do you run away?

#344328 - 06/19/07 06:20 PM Re: Hey pianists -- wouldn't this be fun? (**now with music!**)
Ted2 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Auckland, New Zealand
I'm not particularly quick or good at doing that, probably because I don't do it often enough. I just improvise through it repeatedly, I think, allowing such new ideas as occur to come out each time until some sort of overall coherence which pleases me is attained. Nothing clever I'm afraid, but I'm not a very clever person at the piano.

#344329 - 06/19/07 06:58 PM Re: Hey pianists -- wouldn't this be fun? (**now with music!**)
Lyapunov791 Offline

Hi.

I'd like to participate with this little "Impromptu" ( I only chose this name, because it says something like piece without a certain form, it might be not worth this great name ).
This piece is very cheap (not only the left hand), but I am usually no composer. It's app. 3 years old and when I started to write it down yesterday, I had to compose some intersections again, because I had never finished them.
You'll hear, that those don't always fit.

Btw. it might be a candidate for today's pop music, although I usually listen to classical music only.

When I composed it, I always wondered if these are really new melodies or if they were a part of subconsciousness and originally from a movie or something. I would be thankful, if you could give me a hint, where they could come from, if you think so.

Maybe I should add details like dynamics and phrasing etc. in a later version.

Impromptu (Sheet music)

Maybe you'll find a better solution for this boring left hand. But it has to fit! \:\)

Daniel

#344330 - 06/19/07 07:14 PM Re: Hey pianists -- wouldn't this be fun? (**now with music!**)
Saul Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Banned

#344331 - 06/20/07 10:36 PM Re: Hey pianists -- wouldn't this be fun? (**now with music!**)
Monsieur_Pichon Offline

Loc: Buenos Aires, Argentina
I really enjoyed this scherzo ^^....and I'm also enjoying all the pieces and interpretations.....^^.....Still working in my piece......

This is great!

#344332 - 06/21/07 12:29 AM Re: Hey pianists -- wouldn't this be fun? (**now with music!**)
jwjazz Offline

Loc: New York
Mahlzeit - I played your piece and would suggest turning the 4/4 section (tghe B section) into 3/4. Make the 4 quarter notes a 4:3 phrase. (4 against 3)
Also, you could repeat the B section and then end the second time on the note F with an F chord as others suggested.

The harmony is pretty bland, I would add some chords and change some like this:
|F |Bm7 E7 |Gm7 C7 |F |
|Bb |A7#5b9 |Dm7 G7 |Gm7 C7|
|F |Bm7 E7 |Gm7 C7 |F |
|G7 |G7 |C7 |C7 |

|Am7 |D7 |Gm7 |C7 |
|Am7 |D7 |Gm7 |C7 |

#344333 - 06/21/07 05:15 AM Re: Hey pianists -- wouldn't this be fun? (**now with music!**)
jwjazz Offline

Here's a fugue I wrote:

fugue f sharp minor.pdf - 0.14MB

quarter = 90

#344334 - 06/21/07 05:23 AM Re: Hey pianists -- wouldn't this be fun? (**now with music!**)
mahlzeit Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Thanks for those suggestions, jwjazz! \:\)

I played it originally as 4/4 time all the way through, but I'm not opposed to making it all 3/4.

Yup, the harmony is very basic. I'm no funky jazz cat (yet), so my knowledge of harmony is very basic. But I'll study your chords to see if I can fit them into my understanding. Thanks!

#344335 - 06/21/07 01:46 PM Re: Hey pianists -- wouldn't this be fun? (**now with music!**)
Monsieur_Pichon Offline

now a fugue?....NICE!!! We have really great composers on this forum! =D

No minuets? I will record a minuet! =P

#344336 - 06/21/07 06:28 PM Re: Hey pianists -- wouldn't this be fun? (**now with music!**)
hopinmad Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Eryri/Manchester
how do you guys all record your stuff? and also how would you go about putting it on your computer afterwards?? i dont haave any equipment to do so i dont think.
i can only contribute a nocturne, if it deserves that title, as a piece, but at the moment i cant record it.

#344337 - 06/21/07 07:01 PM Re: Hey pianists -- wouldn't this be fun? (**now with music!**)
pianojerome Offline
9000 Post Club Member

Hi Chopinmad,

No recordings necessary -- personally, I'd rather hear how others interpret my music without my giving them a guide, but it's also fun to hear the composer play, too.

Some computers come with a built-in microphone. You can search Google to download the free programs "LineIn" and "AudioHijack" to record from the built-in microphone (or a seperate one, if you buy a seperate microphone) and save as an audio file on your computer.

Do you have sheet music for your nocturne? That's most important, I think. :p

#344338 - 06/21/07 07:06 PM Re: Hey pianists -- wouldn't this be fun? (**now with music!**)
pianojerome Offline
9000 Post Club Member

Hey Daniel,

I've played through a few pages of your Impromptu, several times, and I like it! The new theme/transition about half-way through the 2nd page sounds to me like trumpet calls and the beating of drums... maybe a royal interruption to the increasingly passionate moods directly before.

A few ideas: at the very bottom line of page 1, have you thought about Ab in the bass instead of A-natural? Also, the 4th line of the 2nd page, where I think that trumpet section begins, maybe start that first measure in the right hand on C instead of B?

#344339 - 06/21/07 07:37 PM Re: Hey pianists -- wouldn't this be fun? (**now with music!**)
Saul Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Banned
 Quote:
Originally posted by KoRnU:
I really enjoyed this scherzo ^^....and I'm also enjoying all the pieces and interpretations.....^^.....Still working in my piece......

This is great! [/b]
Glad you enjoyed the Scherzo, Kornu.

#344340 - 06/21/07 08:59 PM Re: Hey pianists -- wouldn't this be fun? (**now with music!**)
jotur Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Santa Fe, NM
 Quote:
Originally posted by hopinmad:
how do you guys all record your stuff? and also how would you go about putting it on your computer afterwards?? i dont haave any equipment to do so i dont think.
[/b]
hopinmad - if you click on "forum home" at the top of your screen and then scroll down to the FAQ forum, "how to record on your computer" is the headline thread. Mahlzeit put together a great tutorial that I used to post to the ABF recital. Also, in the ABF forum, in the stickied thread on Important Topics there are links to the How to Record on Your Computer thread and the Recording with a Zoom H4 thread. I plug in my keyboard to my computer (Mahlzeit's thread walks you thru this), but if you're recording an acoustic piano you'll need something that does the function of the Zoom.

Cathy

#344341 - 06/21/07 10:20 PM Re: Hey pianists -- wouldn't this be fun? (**now with music!**)
kcoul058 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: UBC, Vancouver, Canada
Is anyone interested in learning a 15 minute Impressionist piano suite I wrote last year? They would have to be very commited as I am finding it a very challenging work while trying to learn it myself, to put it in context I am trying to learn this and some other rep to have a good choice of what to play at a recital in France in August, and the other pieces are:

Bach - Prelude and Fugue in Bb minor Book I
Beethoven - Sonata Appassionata
Chopin - Ballade #4
Ravel - La Tombeau de Couperin
Scriabin - Etude op.42 no.5

and I am finding this work to be more difficult than any of them, with the possible exception of the Toccata in the Ravel suite.

If possible, it would be great to be able to hear a recording of an Impressionist piece by anyone who is interested, to know they are right for the piece. I am sorry I have to sound so... this way... but at all costs I am trying to achieve what could hopefully become a defining premiere of the work to use as a guideline should other people want to learn it afterwards. The reason I am looking for a performer is because I am afraid I am not talented enough myself to do the work justice.

Hopefully I can find the right person thanks to this thread! I suppose I might also try and find a pianist through my music program if by the end of the summer I still feel I can't play it well enough to give it a real premiere. If I end up deciding to play it at the concert in France, I suppose that will mean that although I would no longer need someone on the basis of making a defining premiere, I would still love to find someone who might be able to put different interpretive ideas into it so as to expand the scope from what I had originally envisioned. If this was the case, I would of course instead give the recording from that concert to them, and not the one I have right now. If that is not the case, I could perhaps instead record my best attempt at the piece on my teacher's piano while I am there, to give.

Keep in mind this is a long term sort of request, meaning I would probably make the arrangements in the fall after I can make a better decision at the end of the summer, but it is still worth seeing if this request turns up any interest over the course of the summer. Perhaps this could be a great addition to someones repertoire during the school year for a half recital or full recital?

As for the piece itself, it is a 5 movement homage to Ravel (he liked to write in 5 movements too!), and follows a program taken from a little book called "La Petit Prince". Therefore I have called it "La Suite du Petit Prince"!

There is one special technique employed in the harmonization of some parts of the work that I have not seen anywhere else, which I call "indeterminate tremolo". Basically, one is using in all cases the lower fingers of the LH (4 or 5) to sustain a bass note, and fingers 1, 2, and 3 to make a hazy tremolo effect that only seems to work as intended if not precicely notated. The result is a little like how most people end up playing the opening of the RH of Ondine in Ravel's Gaspard, although of course in his case he did have precise notation!

#344342 - 06/22/07 12:44 AM Re: Hey pianists -- wouldn't this be fun? (**now with music!**)
jwjazz Offline

Saul - nice Scherzo. If you are open to suggestions, one thing that I would change is in measure 10, the last note is an 'E', I would change to G# an octave lower. The reason is that the next measure starts with an 'E' and this creates a succesion of E's that sounds a little clumsy. The same thing happens from meas. 12-13 with the F#, I would change this in the same way to an E one octave below.
I think you could also play that passage in the r.h. only (up to maybe 150) and free up the l.h. for a dramatic G# pedal tone.

Daniel - nice relaxing beginning, especially meas. 9 where you repeat an octave lower. I definately agree with pianojerome about the Ab at the bottom of the first page. Also, I do not understand why you introduce the Bb in the r.h. at the bottom of the 2nd page for so short a time. I think you could work more with it and expand those two measures into a transitional section by repeating the previous measures with the B and then the two with the Bb. Or you could just change the G (below the Bb) to an E. This seems to establish F Major a bit more, which seems needed at a transitional point as this.

#344343 - 06/22/07 10:39 AM Re: Hey pianists -- wouldn't this be fun? (**now with music!**)
hopinmad Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Eryri/Manchester
Jotur, thanks, ill give it a read now.
Piano Jeromen, I have sheet music for it, but the programme you gave me before i cant download. i have a programme called logic hit kit, i could do it on that. the only problem being i cant write the correct sharps and flats, for example, if im in they key of A major, i cant assign that key previously i have to make every c a c sharp, and say i was in d flat major, i would have to write c sharp as the d flat doesnt come up.
it would make things annoying and a little more trouble to read, but ill give it a go anyway.
itll take a while to copy the music into logic hit kit, expect it byt the end of july maybe?
i would prefer not to record it as i dont want my playing judged on the piece!
c ya.

#344344 - 06/22/07 11:41 AM Re: Hey pianists -- wouldn't this be fun? (**now with music!**)
Monsieur_Pichon Offline

what programme are you guys using for make a ".pdf"?
Once you have the manuscript, how you convert it in a ".pdf"?
Becasuse giving a manuscript can bring some
problems....
So that is....what software use for make ".pdf" files?

#344345 - 06/22/07 03:23 PM Re: Hey pianists -- wouldn't this be fun? (**now with music!**)
mahlzeit Offline
1000 Post Club Member

KoRnU: I use "PDF Creator" from:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/pdfcreator/

It's a free program that installs as a printer driver and everything you print to it is saved as a PDF file. Very handy!

#344346 - 06/22/07 03:29 PM Re: Hey pianists -- wouldn't this be fun? (**now with music!**)
Cultor Offline

Loc: BsAs
I will try mahlzeit solution.

#344347 - 06/22/07 05:59 PM Re: Hey pianists -- wouldn't this be fun? (**now with music!**)
Cultor Offline

It works. Here's my two cents, an old and easy piece I wrote for my little nephew:

Circus suite. Lonely clown waltz .

I want to thank pianojerome for his creative initiative. Today I've learned a lot.

#344348 - 06/22/07 06:17 PM Re: Hey pianists -- wouldn't this be fun? (**now with music!**)
pianojerome Offline
9000 Post Club Member

Hey Cultor, I like that Lonely Clown waltz! Thanks for sharing. I just played it a few times, and my parents (who don't usually like the less tonal stuff) both complimented at the same time:

"What piece was that, Sam?"

"Very nice!"

"That's very interesting."

"It does sound like a lonely clown!"

#344349 - 06/22/07 06:55 PM Re: Hey pianists -- wouldn't this be fun? (**now with music!**)
Cultor Offline

I’m glad to hear that, pianojerome! You know: sometimes easy is difficult. And viceversa.
Thanks to your initiative I’ve had a great ‘intellectual’ day today. This is what I’ve learned in a couple of hours:

1. Download and install Finale Notepad. Learn it and write down my music. Be patient. It’s easy to manage.
2. Download and install Sourceforge pdfCreator. Be patient. The program will install a new optional printer. Accept it. (Thanks mahlzeit!)
3. Go to your Finale file and Print it. Choose pdf Creator printer. A new screen will give you several options. Save your file in the folder you want.
4. Now go to box.net, create a new account and upload your pdf-finale file. You can share it easily.

Amazing.

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
168 registered (Almaviva, accordeur, ando, Anne'sson, 52 invisible), 1799 Guests and 52 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74206 Members
42 Forums
153499 Topics
2249406 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Happy Birthday TwoSnowflakes
by gooddog
04/16/14 02:23 PM
Troubleshooting the Gravity Drop/Weight Transfer etc.
by bledredwine
04/16/14 11:16 AM
Stories in SoundBook 2 Valerie Roth Roubos
by DameMyra
04/16/14 10:48 AM
Teaching memorization
by clarikeys
04/16/14 07:45 AM
Accepted Procedure for Having a Piano Tech look at a piano?
by Paul678
04/16/14 07:19 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission