Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
105 registered (36251, acollins, accordeur, Alux, A Guy, Almaviva, 26 invisible), 1565 Guests and 13 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#344350 - 06/25/07 12:02 PM Re: Hey pianists -- wouldn't this be fun? (**now with music!**)
Monsieur_Pichon Offline

Loc: Buenos Aires, Argentina
I have been playing parts of the fugue....I really enjoy it, its a great work jwjazz!

Ad 800 (Pearl River)
Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano
#344351 - 06/25/07 02:48 PM Re: Hey pianists -- wouldn't this be fun? (**now with music!**)
jwjazz Offline

Loc: New York
 Quote:
Originally posted by KoRnU:
I have been playing parts of the fugue....I really enjoy it, its a great work jwjazz! [/b]
Thanks.
Any comments/suggestions appreciated.

#344352 - 06/28/07 09:00 AM Re: Hey pianists -- wouldn't this be fun? (**now with music!**)
Cultor Offline

Loc: BsAs
btw: has anybody tried another input method to write in Finale NotePad? I mean: pen mouse or graphic tablet or touch screens or something like that.

#344353 - 07/01/07 10:26 PM Re: Hey pianists -- wouldn't this be fun? (**now with music!**)
Rach.3Freak105 Offline

Loc: Moorestown, NJ
OK, I'm breaking down and posting two of my pieces. It's two very short preludes I wrote. I would really like to expand on them because I'm still not happy with them. So any ideas for changes or improvements are welcome.

http://www.box.net/shared/ap9sedsh2i
Once during a concert at Carnegie Hall, the violinist Rachmaninoff was playing with lost his place in the music and whispered to Rachmaninoff, "Where are we?" Rachmaninoff replied, in all seriousness, "Carnegie Hall".

#344354 - 07/02/07 09:58 AM Re: Hey pianists -- wouldn't this be fun? (**now with music!**)
Will335 Offline

Loc: Southampton
Heres an interpretation of your Bb m prelude - Changed a couple of very small things. Love the introduction!

http://www.box.net/shared/bkodvz303b

#344355 - 07/02/07 10:26 AM Re: Hey pianists -- wouldn't this be fun? (**now with music!**)
Rach.3Freak105 Offline

Will335, I really liked your recording. What did you change, I'm curious. I think I heard one note in the very begining, but that was it.
Once during a concert at Carnegie Hall, the violinist Rachmaninoff was playing with lost his place in the music and whispered to Rachmaninoff, "Where are we?" Rachmaninoff replied, in all seriousness, "Carnegie Hall".

#344356 - 07/02/07 10:39 AM Re: Hey pianists -- wouldn't this be fun? (**now with music!**)
pianojerome Offline
9000 Post Club Member

I heard a little change at the very end.

Just played through both your pieces, and I like the C Minor one a lot! Let's see if I can get a recording up later this week -- I've got a few articulation ideas for you.

#344357 - 07/02/07 10:41 AM Re: Hey pianists -- wouldn't this be fun? (**now with music!**)
Will335 Offline

shortening the gliss to 2 beats and giving a big bass octave Eb acciacatura at the final chord. Heres the C minor one as well-

http://www.box.net/shared/8rmb699djk

#344358 - 07/02/07 10:46 AM Re: Hey pianists -- wouldn't this be fun? (**now with music!**)
Will335 Offline

I begun to learn WTC about 2 months ago off by heart, only up to F minor book 1, want to try to complete the task by the end of august, any body have any thoughts?

#344359 - 07/02/07 12:52 PM Re: Hey pianists -- wouldn't this be fun? (**now with music!**)
Witold Offline

Why is it called "Prelude in B-flat minor" when the piece is in E-flat minor?

#344360 - 07/02/07 05:30 PM Re: Hey pianists -- wouldn't this be fun? (**now with music!**)
pianojerome Offline
9000 Post Club Member

The key signature is B-flat minor... but by the 2nd half, it seems to go into E-flat Minor with the added Cb's.

So it's hard to say what key "the piece" is in ... the first half and the second half are in different keys.

#344361 - 07/02/07 06:33 PM Re: Hey pianists -- wouldn't this be fun? (**now with music!**)
Witold Offline

Second half? The first half is also clearly in Eb-minor, but all C-flats are misspelled as B-naturals. You shouldn't stare blindly at key signatures and accidentals when you try to determine the key signature. If it sounds Eb-minor, then it is Eb-minor. This piece is so strongly anchored to Eb that there shouldn't be any doubt about it.

#344362 - 07/03/07 09:11 AM Re: Hey pianists -- wouldn't this be fun? (**now with music!**)
Will335 Offline

There is no doubt the piece is in Eb minor, but I reckon Rachfreak titled the piece prelude in Bb minor just as he started to compose the piece (i.e. before the rest of the piece had been composed). I think this piece should be thought of as "prelude in Bb minor" rather than "'prelude' in Bb minor", so that the huge contradiction can be an attribute of the piece (also to remind Rachfreak to compose or change the title of the piece when he finishes.)

#344363 - 07/03/07 12:00 PM Re: Hey pianists -- wouldn't this be fun? (**now with music!**)
Rach.3Freak105 Offline

Ouch, that was a big mistake on my part and to be quite honest I don't really know how it happened. When I first started the piece it was in Bb minor but when I started writing it on Finale I changed most of the piece and never went back to change the key, so that was probably it.

#344364 - 07/04/07 06:51 AM Re: Hey pianists -- wouldn't this be fun? (**now with music!**)
Will335 Offline

Still a good piece though, got any more to show?

#344365 - 07/04/07 12:47 PM Re: Hey pianists -- wouldn't this be fun? (**now with music!**)
Rach.3Freak105 Offline

Well, I have a ton of unfinished ones that have potential. I'll try to finish some soon, and post them.

#344366 - 07/04/07 03:30 PM Re: Hey pianists -- wouldn't this be fun? (**now with music!**)
Kreisler Offline

Loc: Iowa City, IA
I've uploaded my submission - a two-page prelude in c minor.

Download it here:

http://www.pianoped.com/prelude.pdf

Enjoy!
"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed

#344367 - 07/04/07 10:40 PM Re: Hey pianists -- wouldn't this be fun? (**now with music!**)
Tenuto Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: U.S.A.
I'd be interested in submitting compositions. First I have to download the Finale Notepad and see how it works. Thanks, Kreisler.

#344368 - 07/05/07 07:30 PM Re: Hey pianists -- wouldn't this be fun? (**now with music!**)
Cultor Offline

Dear Kreisler:

Interesting descending sensible inflexions. Curious dissonances too in the middle episode.
But let me ask you something: 4/4 or 2/2?

#344369 - 07/05/07 07:48 PM Re: Hey pianists -- wouldn't this be fun? (**now with music!**)
Kreisler Offline

4/4, as marked. \:D
"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com

#344370 - 07/05/07 08:33 PM Re: Hey pianists -- wouldn't this be fun? (**now with music!**)
Cultor Offline

Tempo?

#344371 - 07/05/07 10:17 PM Re: Hey pianists -- wouldn't this be fun? (**now with music!**)
pianojerome Offline
9000 Post Club Member

#344372 - 07/06/07 01:24 AM Re: Hey pianists -- wouldn't this be fun? (**now with music!**)
Kreisler Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Cultor:
Tempo? [/b]
I like giving a great deal of latitude to the performer. "Plaintive" is enough. I've been over the score many times and am satisfied with the editing. If I don't say something, it's the performer's job to fill in the blanks.

www.pianoped.com

#344373 - 07/09/07 10:54 PM Re: Hey pianists -- wouldn't this be fun? (**now with music!**)
calpiano Offline

Loc: California
This is a great thread! I really like some of the pieces on here. I'm a little late, hope that's okay... here's a quasi-18th century piece that I wrote, if anyone would care to play it: http://www.savefile.com/files/876114
I wrote it for a music theory class assignment, and you can easily tell what the requirements were (the "quasi" was my addition) \:D Hope you guys have as much fun playing it as I had writing it, which was a lot! And any critique is welcome!

#344374 - 07/14/07 12:18 PM Re: Hey pianists -- wouldn't this be fun? (**now with music!**)
Will335 Offline

I got a bit carried away today and decided to record a few more compositions, hope this thread doesn't lose it's momentum...

Sorry if my electric piano sounds a bit tinny.

Hope you like my interpretation cultor, added a repeat with some jazzy flourishes (just for fun)

Lonely Clown Waltz: http://www.box.net/shared/6v1mjsxi2s

I loved this subject jwjazz, I found myself writing a more bachy fugue with your idea (posted below). Hope you like my interpretation and don't mind the rit at bar 25. Fugue a 5 voci: http://www.box.net/shared/yqrq3nu57h

Hope you like my interpretation Kreisler - I hear echos of Phillip Glass. prelude in c minor: http://www.box.net/shared/21fei9ii6d

So I was playing around with this subject and found that it had a complimentary descending chromatic countersubject. The motif of 2 rising quavers followed by 3 repeated notes (the third being the appogiatura, resolving downwards) became so prominent that it turned into a double fugue. I love fugues!
Double Fugue (on jwjazz fugue theme) for 4 voices: http://www.box.net/shared/t8kvhepsjd

#344375 - 07/14/07 02:51 PM Re: Hey pianists -- wouldn't this be fun? (**now with music!**)
Cultor Offline

Spectacular my friend. You did a real improvement on my little piece. Great harmonies and variations in that second part without losing the theme. Thanks a lot.

#344376 - 07/15/07 04:00 AM Re: Hey pianists -- wouldn't this be fun? (**now with music!**)
Will335 Offline

and here's another -

Kind of strayed with this one. Lovely theme though

Looking at Each Other:
http://www.box.net/shared/0atm2e53et

#344377 - 07/15/07 05:19 AM Re: Hey pianists -- wouldn't this be fun? (**now with music!**)
Will335 Offline

and another...

Blackcurrent Blues (Ted2)
http://www.box.net/shared/3nem24rxfm

#344378 - 07/15/07 06:10 AM Re: Hey pianists -- wouldn't this be fun? (**now with music!**)
Will335 Offline

another...

The Shepherd's Nigun: S.Zerin

http://www.box.net/shared/njjzanuq6a

Sam, in the 2nd half of the 4th Variation, I put the last 3 notes of each alberti figuration an octave up so I could play it with my right hand instead of jumping around with my left so that it wouldn't lose energy. My favourite is variation 1.

#344379 - 07/15/07 06:44 AM Re: Hey pianists -- wouldn't this be fun? (**now with music!**)
Ted2 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Auckland, New Zealand
Thanks Will ! I seldom hear anybody other than myself play my pieces and I enjoyed that. I think I might like the different chord you played second time through the A strain better than the original one ! I really enjoy it when people take liberties with my music.

Listening to your playing, I realise that the B strain lends itself quite well to contrast through free variation of tempo. Also, I think perhaps the more conventional arrangement of ABAB might be better than AABB. I don't know why I wrote it that way around.

I did write words to it at one stage but I have lost them and forgotten them.

Thanks again,
Ted.

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
Christmas Header
- > Gift Ideas for Music Lovers < -
From PianoSupplies.com a division of Piano World.
-------------------
The December Free Piano Newsletter
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
December 2014 Holiday Piano Bar
by piano_primo_1
12/17/14 06:14 PM
The Language of Taste - Pianos, Wine ... and Birds
by PNO40
12/17/14 05:16 PM
Good Practice Amp for Roland FP7F?
by TheloniousPunk
12/17/14 04:24 PM
Kawai
by daz100
12/17/14 04:10 PM
New at the forum and some questions
by Kua
12/17/14 03:31 PM
Forum Stats
77333 Members
42 Forums
159944 Topics
2348898 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission