Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#344380 - 07/15/07 08:14 AM Re: Hey pianists -- wouldn't this be fun? (**now with music!**)
pianojerome Offline
9000 Post Club Member

Wow, it makes me so happy to hear someone else play my music. Thanks, Will!

Even if you play it completely differently than I do myself. :p

I tend to play it a little more dance-like, with a faster tempo and less pedal, and I also play the 2nd variation a bit slower than the others (though you play it a bit faster).

But I like how you give it more of a pastoral feeling, especially in the theme. I'd never thought to play the 2nd variation faster, as you do, but it's nice -- kind of like running along. Like Ted, I don't mind your little changes to the notes in the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th variations; gives it a little more uniqueness, which I like.

Thanks again!

Ad 800 (Pearl River)
Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano
#344381 - 07/15/07 10:56 AM Re: Hey pianists -- wouldn't this be fun? (**now with music!**)
mahlzeit Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Netherlands
Hi Will335,

Thanks a lot for playing my little tune (Looking At Each Other). You make it sound awesome!

I really enjoyed your playing of the other pieces too. \:\)

#344382 - 07/15/07 10:58 AM Re: Hey pianists -- wouldn't this be fun? (**now with music!**)
Will335 Offline

Loc: Southampton
And heres another one -

Portrait of Ellen Lauderdale
http://www.box.net/shared/s87h9aa90t

Well I hope you're sure that it's ok to take liberties with your pieces because I took a few with this one!

The left hand part in this piece is undoubtedly improvisatory in each particular harmony, so I hope you don't mind that my reading was a bit aproximate. Also, all the chromatic flourishes are actually very hard for me so that's all ... a bit aproximate aswell. Some other things might have changed aswell... Good fun to play!

If you ever find the words to Blackcurrent Blues, I want you to post a recording of you playing and singing them!

#344383 - 07/15/07 05:51 PM Re: Hey pianists -- wouldn't this be fun? (**now with music!**)
Will335 Offline

Still on this recording spree Sam...

Scherzo in C# Minor (Saul)
http://www.box.net/shared/duxggknc8z

This reminds me of the Khachaturian's Toccata which is a piece I completely forgot about. The first 2 rising diminshed arpeggios contain a discrepency in it's pattern which seems a bit illogical so I altered it for the recording - hope you dont mind the accelerando at the end

#344384 - 07/15/07 05:59 PM Re: Hey pianists -- wouldn't this be fun? (**now with music!**)
Will335 Offline

And those acciaccaturas are really difficult

#344385 - 07/15/07 09:26 PM Re: Hey pianists -- wouldn't this be fun? (**now with music!**)
calpiano Offline

Loc: California
Now I'm not quite good enough to be commenting on the music, but here are some practical comments about the thoughts I had from reading/playing through some of the pieces and listening to the existing recordings:

Saul: have you thought about respelling your C naturals as B sharps, and the C# diminished sevenths as Fx diminished 7ths? IMO it makes a little more sense that way. I like your piece! I'm tempted to make a recording but unfortunately I'm not home right now. When I get a chance.

jwjazz: I tried playing through your fugue and I got very confused before I got to the middle! Do you think not using key signatures would be a viable alternative? (Obviously I don't read as fast as Will335 - good recordings!)

#344386 - 07/16/07 03:42 AM Re: Hey pianists -- wouldn't this be fun? (**now with music!**)
Ted2 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Auckland, New Zealand
Thank you for another insightful interpretation, Will!

I like your improvisational changes to the melody, as I did the less obvious ones in the blues. In your hands Ellen has become less blustering and declamatory, less racy of the soil but more intimate and tender; more reminiscent of memories around the drawing room fireside than of an impassioned walk in the wild weather outside. Played your way, it evokes an entirely different set of associations for me. It is not a question of which is better but more a case of my realising that others exist at all, which I had not until now.

It doesn't sound to me as though my little chromatic flourishes presented much of a problem for you !

You have made my day. Until now neither piece had ever seen light of day beyond my piano and neither has been played for twenty years until I found the scores in an old cardboard box.

For the sake of interest, "Ellen" was not a real person but a character (anima ?)I met in one of those visionary dreams back in 1979. The dedicatee on the score was my mother.

And a big thank you to Sam for starting this exercise. Well worth repeating it in the not too distant future, I suggest.

#344387 - 07/16/07 06:21 AM Re: Hey pianists -- wouldn't this be fun? (**now with music!**)
Will335 Offline

I guess this is where my spree ends -

A Piece in G major etc.
http://www.box.net/shared/ahryrm9i81

I realised after I recorded it that I probably took it a lot faster than you wanted calpiano because I only just noticed the duration note at the bottom of the piece (mine was about 30 seconds quicker) so sorry about that.
The difficult thing in reading this piece was all the crossovers - as soon as I crossed over hands, I completely lost where I was on the score (So I had to learn it a little bit).

Impromptu
http://www.box.net/shared/3qh6vi3fzk

Listening to my own recording afterwards, I realised I took this to quickly aswell - I'm just enjoying myself too much! Hope you don't mind the alterations Dan.

#344388 - 07/16/07 06:45 AM Re: Hey pianists -- wouldn't this be fun? (**now with music!**)
Will335 Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Ted2:
Thank you for another insightful interpretation, Will!

. [/b]
Was a pleasure Ted - Glad you enjoyed it! Post any more as soon as possible if you can!

#344389 - 07/16/07 07:03 AM Re: Hey pianists -- wouldn't this be fun? (**now with music!**)
Will335 Offline

I was looking back at previous pages in this thread and even though it's an old one, I want to make a few comments on jwjazz's suggestions post -

Quote:
Originally posted by jwjazz:
Saul - nice Scherzo. If you are open to suggestions, one thing that I would change is in measure 10, the last note is an 'E', I would change to G# an octave lower. The reason is that the next measure starts with an 'E' and this creates a succesion of E's that sounds a little clumsy. The same thing happens from meas. 12-13 with the F#, I would change this in the same way to an E one octave below.
I think you could also play that passage in the r.h. only (up to maybe 150) and free up the l.h. for a dramatic G# pedal tone.

[/b]
I disagree with your suggestions for the scherzo - The pattern in the left hand from measure 10 should remain as it is because this keeps the melodic figuration outlined from the start. The succession of notes doesn't sound clumsy to me - they sound apropriate for the rise in tension.
And playing any section in this piece just with the right hand would be incredibly difficult.

#344390 - 07/16/07 08:26 AM Re: Hey pianists -- wouldn't this be fun? (**now with music!**)
Will335 Offline

Ok my fingers are already beginning to itch - please post more compositions!

#344391 - 07/16/07 12:03 PM Re: Hey pianists -- wouldn't this be fun? (**now with music!**)
mahlzeit Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Okay then. This is one of my first tunes that didn't suck. \:\)

It is called "For The Good Times". I'm posting a lead sheet because that is the most fun.

For The Good Times lead sheet

Enjoy! \:D

#344392 - 07/16/07 02:17 PM Re: Hey pianists -- wouldn't this be fun? (**now with music!**)
jwjazz Offline

Loc: New York
Will - thanks for the recording of my fugue. The rit in measure 25 is exactly what I do. I also liked how you handled the last two measures.

And I liked your fugue a lot.

#344393 - 07/16/07 02:20 PM Re: Hey pianists -- wouldn't this be fun? (**now with music!**)
Will335 Offline

Cheers for the piece Matt - I was probably experimenting with it a little bit too much but I kept your theme. Hope you enjoy it

For The Good Times

http://www.box.net/shared/brq0yifk9z

#344394 - 07/16/07 02:49 PM Re: Hey pianists -- wouldn't this be fun? (**now with music!**)
mahlzeit Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Nothing wrong with experimentation. \:\)

It's really cool to hear someone who is better at the piano than me play my tunes. Thanks!

#344395 - 07/16/07 04:19 PM Re: Hey pianists -- wouldn't this be fun? (**now with music!**)
Will335 Offline

Anymore anyone?

#344396 - 07/16/07 04:24 PM Re: Hey pianists -- wouldn't this be fun? (**now with music!**)
IpsoPhatso Offline

I am working on a piece that I guess would be considered a Waltz. It's very easy compared to a Chopin Waltz, but I admit, I am pretty proud of it so far. I am doing some notation of it right now... I should be able to post it sometime soon! \:\)

#344397 - 07/16/07 04:58 PM Re: Hey pianists -- wouldn't this be fun? (**now with music!**)
pianojerome Offline
9000 Post Club Member

You're on a roll, Will!

OK, here's another:

Dance

\:\)

#344398 - 07/16/07 05:40 PM Re: Hey pianists -- wouldn't this be fun? (**now with music!**)
Will335 Offline

Don't know if it's my computer but I couldn't open that 1 Sam ?

#344399 - 07/16/07 05:47 PM Re: Hey pianists -- wouldn't this be fun? (**now with music!**)
pianojerome Offline
9000 Post Club Member

What happens when you try to open it? It opens fine on 2 of my computers.

#344400 - 07/16/07 10:52 PM Re: Hey pianists -- wouldn't this be fun? (**now with music!**)
calpiano Offline

Loc: California
 Quote:
Originally posted by Will335:
I guess this is where my spree ends -

A Piece in G major etc.
http://www.box.net/shared/ahryrm9i81

I realised after I recorded it that I probably took it a lot faster than you wanted calpiano because I only just noticed the duration note at the bottom of the piece (mine was about 30 seconds quicker) so sorry about that.
The difficult thing in reading this piece was all the crossovers - as soon as I crossed over hands, I completely lost where I was on the score (So I had to learn it a little bit).
[/b]
Wow, it's amazing to hear someone else play your own composition. Thanks Will, and for taking the effort to learn it too! As for the tempo, I actually intended for it to be faster - I counted in the repeats for the time duration - but I suppose it's difficult to do with all the jumps!

#344401 - 07/17/07 03:13 AM Re: Hey pianists -- wouldn't this be fun? (**now with music!**)
Will335 Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by pianojerome:
What happens when you try to open it? It opens fine on 2 of my computers. [/b]
I think my computer was being moody last night - I got it now, thanks (this is a good 1).

#344402 - 07/17/07 04:09 AM Re: Hey pianists -- wouldn't this be fun? (**now with music!**)
Ted2 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Okay, here's another one from the heap on the floor. It's in the same place as the others.

Bravura Study

Vigorous but not too hard. I have uploaded an old recording I made as a rough guide.

I have also noticed that the dates written on these scores are all arsey-boo. I remember making up this piece well before I bought my present piano in 1971. I think I must have just gone through in a massive exercise putting dates in the 1980s on everything; I don't know why.

#344403 - 07/17/07 06:11 AM Re: Hey pianists -- wouldn't this be fun? (**now with music!**)
Will335 Offline

Here it is Sam - love that piece!

Dance
http://www.box.net/shared/e4vf9u5f7v

#344404 - 07/17/07 06:14 AM Re: Hey pianists -- wouldn't this be fun? (**now with music!**)
Will335 Offline

I won't be posting for a few days because i'm going to my Mum's house (she doesn't have the internet there) - I'm going to be working on my big WTC project and learning Russian. See you on the weekend!

p.s like the piece Ted, expect a recording soon!

#344405 - 07/18/07 02:54 PM Re: Hey pianists -- wouldn't this be fun? (**now with music!**)
mahlzeit Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Here is another one. I happened to make the lead sheet today (though the composition is from last month), so I thought why not post it in this thread:

Southbound

You can here a recording here .

#344406 - 07/18/07 03:03 PM Re: Hey pianists -- wouldn't this be fun? (**now with music!**)
Cultor Offline

Loc: BsAs
mahlzeit: regarding the seventh bar and repetitions, I suggest you to change the C#-D#-C# to Db-Eb-Db.
You're in the Bbm orbit. Don't fly away the planetary system.

#344407 - 07/18/07 03:30 PM Re: Hey pianists -- wouldn't this be fun? (**now with music!**)
mahlzeit Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Hmm, you're right. Thanks for catching that. I fixed it. (There was another error with wrong chord symbols too.) \:D

#344408 - 07/19/07 07:37 AM Re: Hey pianists -- wouldn't this be fun? (**now with music!**)
Ted2 Offline
500 Post Club Member

I have discovered another dozen or so of these romantic things from years ago. Some are simple but one or two of them are monsters, so I have uploaded old recordings of them first here:

Old romantic pieces

If anyone really wants to try a particular one I shall upload its score in the same place. That way at least people won't feel obliged to wrestle with something they don't like.

#344409 - 07/20/07 08:03 AM Re: Hey pianists -- wouldn't this be fun? (**now with music!**)
pianojerome Offline
9000 Post Club Member

Here's an idea: some of you remember the discussion of a small section from Beethoven's Pathetique ( here ). We put up just 16 measures, and then wrote as many descriptions of it as we could, in terms of theory, performance, history, notation, etc. Why not do the same with some of our own compositions that are posted here?

Let's start with Cultor's "Lonely Clown Waltz" -- it's short, only 15 measures:

(Thanks again, Cultor, for allowing us to put your piece in the spotlight)

Here's a recording that Will335 made of this piece:
http://www.box.net/shared/6v1mjsxi2s

So, what do you see/hear?

I'll start: I see an overall arch in terms of dynamics: the first phrase is marked p (mm. 1-5), the second and third phrases are marked mf (mm. 5-9, 9-12), and the last phrase is marked p (mm. 12-15)

(with extra dynamic marks in between)

Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
8 Live Ragtime Piano Players on the Cape!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Fulfillment- a story in episodes:
by PhilipInChina
Today at 12:44 AM
First time digital piano buyer
by Frames
Yesterday at 10:58 PM
Yamaha U3 - How old is too old?
by Yekul
Yesterday at 09:53 PM
Digital Vs. Acoustic is apples and oranges so far
by harpon
Yesterday at 08:40 PM
the sound of unrestored Erards
by Michael Sayers
Yesterday at 08:34 PM
Who's Online
63 registered (Alan_Dublin, alfredo capurso, 0987654321, 14 invisible), 1010 Guests and 10 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76657 Members
42 Forums
158500 Topics
2327697 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission