Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#344290 - 06/15/07 08:18 PM Hey pianists -- wouldn't this be fun? (**now with music!**)
pianojerome Offline
9000 Post Club Member

Here's a running list of the compositions that people have posted in this thread so far:

Ted2 -- "Blackcurrant Blues", "Portrait of Ellen Lauderdale", and "Bravura Study"
>> Recording of "Portrait of Ellen Lauderdale" by Ted2
>> Recording of "Portrait of Ellen Lauderdale" by Will335
>> Recording of "Blackcurrant Blues" by Will335

pianojerome -- "The Shepherd\'s Nigun"
>> Recording by Will335

pianojerome -- "Dance"
>> Recording by Will335

mahlzeit -- "Looking at Each Other"
>> Recording by mahlzeit
>> Recording by pianojerome
>> Recording by Will335

mahlzeit -- "For the Good Times"
>> Recording by Will335

mahlzeit -- "Southbound"
>> Recording by mahlzeit

Daniel M. -- "Impromptu"
>> Recording by Will335

Saul -- "Scherzo in C-Sharp Minor"
>> Recording by Saul
>> Recording by Will335

jwjazz -- "Fugue in F-Sharp Minor"
>> Recording by Will335

Cultor -- "Circus Suite. Lonely Clown Waltz"
>> Recording by Will335

Rach.3freak105 -- "Two Preludes"
>> Recording of "Prelude in B-Flat Minor" by Will335
>> Recording of "Prelude in C Minor" by Will335

Rach.3freak105 -- "A Rainy Day"

Kreisler -- "Prelude in C Minor"
>> Recording by Will335

CalPiano -- "Piano Piece"
>> Recording by Will335

------

INDEX:

General discussion of the original idea
Computer programs/websites for writing and posting sheet music
Ted\'s compositions posted
PianoJerome\'s composition posted
Mahlzeit\'s composition posted, with discussion and recordings
Playing from lead-sheets
Daniel\'s composition posted
Saul\'s composition posted
More discussion of mahlzeit\'s piece
jwjazz\'s composition posted
How to record music
Discussion of Daniel\'s piece
More on recording music
kcoul058 introduces/discusses his own composition
Comments on Saul\'s and Daniel\'s compositions
Creating PDF files
Cultor\'s composition posted, with discussion
Rach.3Freak105\'s compositions posted, with discussion and recordings
Kreisler\'s composition posted, with discussion
CalPiano\'s piece posted
Will335 goes on a recording spree (cultor, jwjazz, mahlzeit, Ted2, pianojerome)
Ted2 responds to Will\'s recording
PianoJerome responds to Will\'s recording
Mahlzeit responds to Will\'s recording
Will continues his recording spree (Ted2, Saul, CalPiano, DanielM.)
Discussion, and Ted\'s response to Will\'s recording
Malhzeit posts, and Will records, "For the Good Times"
Pianojerome posts "Dance"
CalPiano responds to Will\'s recording
Ted2 posts "Bravura Study"
Will posts his recording of pianojerome\'s "Dance"
Mahlzeit posts "Southbound", followed by discussion
Ted2 posts recordings of his other compositions and offers to upload requested scores
Discussion of Cultor\'s "Lonely Clown Waltz"

-------------

ORIGINAL DISCUSSION:

Suppose some of the composers from the Piano World Composers' Lounge (and maybe some composers here, too) were to each post one our own solo piano compositions in one thread, and we pianists were to play and, some of us, record them.

Since it sometimes takes us a while to learn a new piece of music (or maybe a few), we could have an on-going discussion among pianists and composers: how the learning progress is coming along, what people like in the music, what they don't like, different interpretive ideas, etc. Maybe some of us could post recordings at different stages of the learning process, in much the same way that folks in the Adult Beginner's Forum sometimes post weekly recordings for a group project.

Then, whoever could record, would record the "finished product", and the composers would get to hear other people playing their own music. And we the performers, in addition to learning new music written by our Piano World friends, could hear feedback from the composers (something you don't get from playing Beethoven or Bach!). It would be interesting for the composers to hear how others maybe interpret *differently* their own music, (or interpret exactly the same!) but above all, I think it would be fun, both for us and for the composers.

What do you think? Any ideas? Would anyone be willing to learn (and maybe record) one, two, or a few pieces?

Keep in mind, you wouldn't have to post a recording. Speaking as a composer, I would love for others to play my music anyway -- but I would also love to hear recordings from others, too!

I put the idea to the Composer's Lounge, so we'll see if there is interest there, too.

Ad 800 (Pearl River)
Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano
#344291 - 06/15/07 09:04 PM Re: Hey pianists -- wouldn't this be fun? (**now with music!**)
pianist.ame Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Singapore
that's a great idea, we really would be able to learn alot of things just from someone else who plays the same piece but interprets it in a different way. Would love to do that...

#344292 - 06/15/07 10:05 PM Re: Hey pianists -- wouldn't this be fun? (**now with music!**)
Kreisler Offline

Loc: Iowa City, IA
Happy to play and compose.
"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed

#344293 - 06/15/07 11:10 PM Re: Hey pianists -- wouldn't this be fun? (**now with music!**)
Monsieur_Pichon Offline

Loc: Buenos Aires, Argentina
that's really a beautifull idea.......I will love to plays forum member's music....And I also love to listen others playing mine =P

#344294 - 06/16/07 08:32 AM Re: Hey pianists -- wouldn't this be fun? (**now with music!**)
ecm Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Republic of Macedonia

#344295 - 06/16/07 11:25 AM Re: Hey pianists -- wouldn't this be fun? (**now with music!**)
Max W Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: RHUL
Also happy to play and compose!

#344296 - 06/16/07 01:23 PM Re: Hey pianists -- wouldn't this be fun? (**now with music!**)
hopinmad Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Eryri/Manchester
great idea. the composers wuold love it too!

#344297 - 06/16/07 02:05 PM Re: Hey pianists -- wouldn't this be fun? (**now with music!**)
pianist.ame Offline
1000 Post Club Member

well could'nt we do this for pieces that are commonly played/or have a few people that are playing them? Not just for pieces that are composed by people on this forum

#344298 - 06/16/07 03:51 PM Re: Hey pianists -- wouldn't this be fun? (**now with music!**)
pianojerome Offline
9000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Amelialw:
well could'nt we do this for pieces that are commonly played/or have a few people that are playing them? Not just for pieces that are composed by people on this forum [/b]
It's a good idea, but the main idea here is not just to compare different interpretations... you can do that simply by listening to Brendel, Richter, Michelangeli, and Grimaud playing Beethoven. No need for a big project.

Bu that's only a part of it. The ideas of this project are also to:

---- explore new music
---- play music by people we ourselves interact with
---- have our own compositions played by others
---- hear how the composers react to various interpretations
---- bring together the members of 2 different forums here at PW

If we all just play Beethoven, we're not exploring new music; we're not playing music by someone we've "met"; we're not playing (some of us) our own music; we can't hear how Beethoven would react, or what ideas he might have; it would just be a Pianist Corner thing. Many of us who compose what we think is good music wouldn't get to hear others play it.

#344299 - 06/16/07 04:26 PM Re: Hey pianists -- wouldn't this be fun? (**now with music!**)
pianist.ame Offline
1000 Post Club Member

ok,then we could select pieces that are seldom played but are played by a few of us, and do a comparision how about that?

#344300 - 06/16/07 05:30 PM Re: Hey pianists -- wouldn't this be fun? (**now with music!**)
pianojerome Offline
9000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Amelialw:
ok,then we could select pieces that are seldom played but are played by a few of us, and do a comparision how about that? [/b]
How is that different than playing Beethoven or Chopin? \:\)

Actually, I like your idea -- it was a project that I set up here last summer -- but it's a different project.

Again, the idea here is not simply to compare interpretations. That's only a part of it.

#344301 - 06/16/07 05:33 PM Re: Hey pianists -- wouldn't this be fun? (**now with music!**)
pianojerome Offline
9000 Post Club Member

Another problem with picking from the larger repertoire is picking the pieces to play. As I said, we did that last summer -- and it was hard to pick music that everyone would agree on, and I think that is one of the reasons why almost nobody ended up participating, depsite initial enthusiasm. Given the notion that one might play something he has already learned, everybody wanted to tout their own repertoire, rather than learn something new.

Allowing the composers themselves to decide the repertoire gives us our options without any controversy or debate -- it avoids a rut that might overturn the whole thing. It also forces us to learn new music that we haven't heard or played before... and that makes the discussions much more fun!

#344302 - 06/16/07 05:47 PM Re: Hey pianists -- wouldn't this be fun? (**now with music!**)
Monica K. Offline

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012

Loc: Lexington, Kentucky
As somebody who would neither play nor compose, but who would be an eager member of the audience, I think this is a terrific idea, Sam. \:\) The online AB recital has been a tremendous success, and I've always hoped y'all would do something similar here in the Pianist Corner. Playing pieces composed by our very own composers in the forum is a really neat wrinkle, too.

#344303 - 06/16/07 06:13 PM Re: Hey pianists -- wouldn't this be fun? (**now with music!**)
hopinmad Offline
1000 Post Club Member

can we have our own composition played as well , as in members of the pianist corner and not just the composers lounge?

#344304 - 06/16/07 10:12 PM Re: Hey pianists -- wouldn't this be fun? (**now with music!**)
pianojerome Offline
9000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by hopinmad:
can we have our own composition played as well , as in members of the pianist corner and not just the composers lounge? [/b]
Yes, please. \:\)

#344305 - 06/17/07 04:04 AM Re: Hey pianists -- wouldn't this be fun? (**now with music!**)
8ude Offline
2000 Post Club Member

While I think this can be a good idea, composers may have reasons for wanting to post or not post their work.

Personally, I do have some pieces available, but I'm getting ready to send them out to publishers, so I don't want to be distributing them freely. Maybe if I hear back from them and get tons of rejections, then I'll post some of them, but I'm hoping to get some of my work published and as such I'm not too keen on making it freely available. I'm not hoping to get rich on these pieces by any stretch of the imagination, but it would be nice to be paid for ones efforts instead of just giving it away (even if it's just a pittance). Other composers may feel differently - to each their own...

On the flip side, I would be very interested in other members' feedback and perhaps even a performance, so I am tempted to post some stuff. I'll keep an eye on this thread as I'm certainly interested in critiquing other members work, and perhaps I'll contribute something of my own.

#344306 - 06/17/07 12:28 PM Re: Hey pianists -- wouldn't this be fun? (**now with music!**)
pianojerome Offline
9000 Post Club Member

Kreisler, Kornu, Max, Chopinmad --

Do you already have some music that you might post, or are you thinking of writing something new? I think it might be best to keep this as a summer project, when some people have more time to practice -- but I don't know how long it would take you to compose a new short piece.

8ude --

That's a very reasonable concern. I look forward to reading your responses to the music that is posted.

#344307 - 06/17/07 01:46 PM Re: Hey pianists -- wouldn't this be fun? (**now with music!**)
hopinmad Offline
1000 Post Club Member

i have some short pieces which i have. whether im missing something im not sure, but i dont know how to post them. on a computer programme?? or is there something on the forum?

#344308 - 06/17/07 01:54 PM Re: Hey pianists -- wouldn't this be fun? (**now with music!**)
Monsieur_Pichon Offline

Loc: Buenos Aires, Argentina
well.....I have little pieces, not finished at all....but If you say that this is a summer project I think I have some time to finish them...I'll also love to listen others music....not a big composer here....I would like to be on the interpretation band ^^

PD: It is "band"? or "faction"? or "side?...sorry =(

#344309 - 06/17/07 02:01 PM Re: Hey pianists -- wouldn't this be fun? (**now with music!**)
pianojerome Offline
9000 Post Club Member

By 'summer project' I mean learning the music, too... which means that probably the composers will need to post their music by July 1[/b].

This still gives a couple of weeks to finish composing, and a few months for all of us to learn how to play the music, before the end of the summer.

KoRnU, I'm sure we would all love for you to be on the interpretation band/faction/side. \:\)

#344310 - 06/17/07 02:04 PM Re: Hey pianists -- wouldn't this be fun? (**now with music!**)
pianojerome Offline
9000 Post Club Member

Quote:
i have some short pieces which i have. whether im missing something im not sure, but i dont know how to post them. on a computer programme?? or is there something on the forum? [/b]
If you've handwritten them, you can scan them into your computer and post each page at a site called http://www.imageshack.us and then post the links here.

If you wrote them into a computer program such as Finale or Sibelius, you can save them as PDF files... I don't know of a website that will store those, so maybe someone else can chime in with an idea. I get webspace from my university, so you can always e-mail it to me, and I'll be happy to post it for you.

#344311 - 06/17/07 02:11 PM Re: Hey pianists -- wouldn't this be fun? (**now with music!**)
hopinmad Offline
1000 Post Club Member

problem: i have no scanner, or a music programme. "Finale, and Sibelius", where can i get hold of them? i have my pieces handwritten at the moment, so ill only need to cpy them into the programme, and i think ill definitely be able to do that by July the first.

#344312 - 06/17/07 02:11 PM Re: Hey pianists -- wouldn't this be fun? (**now with music!**)
Kreisler Offline

I'm writing a new piece - started it last night and should be done today or tomorrow.

And to alleviate 8ude's fears. Lots of pieces get commissioned and performed first, then published later. If you'd like, you can protect yourself my simply emailing copies to a select few rather than post it publicly. And include a copyright notice.
"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com

#344313 - 06/17/07 02:23 PM Re: Hey pianists -- wouldn't this be fun? (**now with music!**)
pianojerome Offline
9000 Post Club Member

Quote:
problem: i have no scanner, or a music programme. "Finale, and Sibelius", where can i get hold of them? i have my pieces handwritten at the moment, so ill only need to cpy them into the programme, and i think ill definitely be able to do that by July the first. [/b]
Here is a free program, "Finale Notepad" --

http://www.finalemusic.com/notepad/

#344314 - 06/17/07 05:09 PM Re: Hey pianists -- wouldn't this be fun? (**now with music!**)
Kreisler Offline

I stickied the topic. Check here for updates!

www.pianoped.com

#344315 - 06/17/07 05:57 PM Re: Hey pianists -- wouldn't this be fun? (**now with music!**)
hopinmad Offline
1000 Post Club Member

cheers for the programme. it will be so useful for me, i appreciate it! thanks!

#344316 - 06/17/07 09:20 PM Re: Hey pianists -- wouldn't this be fun? (**now with music!**)
pianojerome Offline
9000 Post Club Member

Thanks, Kreisler, for stickying the thread.

And thanks to Ted2[/b] who just posted his music over in the Composer's Lounge thread!

Here are his two pieces, "Blackcurrant Blues" and "Portrait of Ellen Lauderdale" --

http://www.box.net/shared/srykkcbv06

Quote:
There is a simple one, "Blackcurrant Blues" and a fancy romantic one, "Portrait of Ellen Lauderdale". I have also uploaded a very old recording I made of the latter as a possible guide.

I am very lazy and I can't be bothered writing out music twice, so I adopt the following easy, computer programme scheme.

Start at the beginning
Play until 1. with an arrow and go to 1. without an arrow
Play until 2. with an arrow and go to 2. without an arrow
Until the end.

Any questions just ask. I am not fussy and like to hear elaborations and variations from players of my music.

#344317 - 06/17/07 09:33 PM Re: Hey pianists -- wouldn't this be fun? (**now with music!**)
pianojerome Offline
9000 Post Club Member

And here is my own composition, a theme and variations:

"The Shepherd\'s Nigun"

"Nigun" (pronounced nee-goon) is the Yiddish word for a word-less melody. These are very popular in Jewish culture, and last summer I sat down to write a couple myself.

Eventually, I liked one in particular that I had written and decided to write it for piano. Then I started playing around with variations, and, well, here it is. \:\)

The "Shepherd" is a last-minute add-on to the title... I didn't want to simply call it "Variations" or simply "Nigun", and some of the variations remind me a little bit of pastural scenes.

#344318 - 06/17/07 09:40 PM Re: Hey pianists -- wouldn't this be fun? (**now with music!**)
pianojerome Offline
9000 Post Club Member

I'm going to make a list of the music at the top of the 1st page, and update it each time someone posts new music.

Keep an eye out for more in the next few weeks!

#344319 - 06/18/07 07:23 AM Re: Hey pianists -- wouldn't this be fun? (**now with music!**)
mahlzeit Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Netherlands
Do the compositions have to be "classical"? I hope not... \:D

Here's one of my non-classical pieces. It's *very* simple and I only have a leadsheet for it, so you'll have to fill in the chords yourself. It has two parts: "A" in 3/4 time and "B" in 4/4 time.

Looking At Each Other (leadsheet)

You can also hear a recording of this piece at my website (it's not super but it should give you some idea; it doesn't necessarily follow the leadsheet all the time):

http://www.originalsolopiano.com/2007/06/14/8-looking-at-each-other/

I would *love* for someone else to play this piece! \:\)

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
171 registered (acortot, accordeur, Abby Pianoman, 36251, 52 invisible), 1863 Guests and 20 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75896 Members
42 Forums
156839 Topics
2304540 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Speaker/monitor quieries
by Enthusiast
08/21/14 04:06 PM
Rubinstein or horowitz couldn't play op 10 no 1?
by rov
08/21/14 04:05 PM
For Sale: PE-2 PIANO PEDAL EXTENDER
by TakomaRose
08/21/14 02:04 PM
How is this possible?
by kaanguner
08/21/14 02:03 PM
Questions About Piano Magic for Sheet Music Readers
by newbert
08/21/14 01:51 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission