2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
37 members (Charles Cohen, Animisha, benkeys, Burkhard, 20/20 Vision, AlkansBookcase, brennbaer, 9 invisible), 1,137 guests, and 316 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
9000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
9000 Post Club Member
Here's a running list of the compositions that people have posted in this thread so far:

<font size=3>Ted2 -- "Blackcurrant Blues", &qu...ale", and "Bravura Study" </font>
<font size=2> >> Recording of "Portrait of Ellen Lauderdale" by Ted2
<a href="http://www.box.net/shared/s87h9aa90t" target="new_window"> >> Recording of "Portrait of Ellen Lauderdale" by Will335</a>
<a href="http://www.box.net/shared/3nem24rxfm" target="New_window"> >> Recording of "Blackcurrant Blues" by Will335</a></font>

<font size=3>pianojerome -- "The Shepherd\'s Nigun" </font>
<font size=2><a href="http://www.box.net/shared/njjzanuq6a" target="New_window"> >> Recording by Will335</a></font>

<font size=3>pianojerome -- "Dance" </font>
<font size=2><a href="http://www.box.net/shared/e4vf9u5f7v" target="new_window"> >> Recording by Will335</a></font>

<font size=3>mahlzeit -- "Looking at Each Other" </font>
<font size=2> >> Recording by mahlzeit
>> Recording by pianojerome
>> Recording by Will335 </font>

<font size=3>mahlzeit -- "For the Good Times" </font>
<font size=2> >> Recording by Will335 </font>

<font size=3>mahlzeit -- "Southbound" </font>
<font size=2> >> Recording by mahlzeit </font>

<font size=3>Daniel M. -- "Impromptu" </font>

<font size=3>Saul -- "Scherzo in C-Sharp Minor"...dow"> >> Recording by Saul
<a href="http://www.box.net/shared/duxggknc8z" target="new_window"> >> Recording by Will335</a></font>

<font size=3>jwjazz -- <a href=http://www.zshare.net/download/2364228e9fa822/>"Fugue in F-Sharp Minor"</a></font>
<font size=2><a href="http://www.box.net/shared/yqrq3nu57h" target="New_window"> >> Recording by Will335</a></font>

<font size=3>Cultor -- "Circus Suite. Lonely Clown Waltz" </font>
<font size=2><a href="http://www.box.net/shared/6v1mjsxi2s" target="New_window"> >> Recording by Will335</a></font>

<font size=3>Rach.3freak105 -- "Two Preludes" </font>
<font size=2> >> Recording of "Prelude in B-Flat Minor" by Will335
<font size=2> >> Recording of "Prelude in C Minor" by Will335 </font>

<font size=3>Rach.3freak105 -- "A Rainy Day" </font>

<font size=3>Kreisler -- "Prelude in C Minor" </font>
<font size=2><a href="http://www.box.net/shared/21fei9ii6d" target="New_window"> >> Recording by Will335</a></font>

<font size=3>CalPiano -- "Piano Piece" </font>

------

INDEX:

General discussion of the original idea
Computer programs/websites for writing and posting sheet music
Ted\'s compositions posted
PianoJerome\'s composition posted
Mahlzeit\'s composition posted, with discussion and recordings
Playing from lead-sheets
Daniel\'s composition posted
Saul\'s composition posted
More discussion of mahlzeit\'s piece
jwjazz\'s composition posted
How to record music
Discussion of Daniel\'s piece
More on recording music
kcoul058 introduces/discusses his own composition
Comments on Saul\'s and Daniel\'s compositions
Creating PDF files
Cultor\'s composition posted, with discussion
Rach.3Freak105\'s compositions posted, with discussion and recordings
Kreisler\'s composition posted, with discussion
CalPiano\'s piece posted
Will335 goes on a recording spree (cultor, jwjazz, mahlzeit, Ted2, pianojerome)
Ted2 responds to Will\'s recording
PianoJerome responds to Will\'s recording
Mahlzeit responds to Will\'s recording
Will continues his recording spree (Ted2, Saul, CalPiano, DanielM.)
Discussion, and Ted\'s response to Will\'s recording
Malhzeit posts, and Will records, "For the Good Times"
Pianojerome posts "Dance"
CalPiano responds to Will\'s recording
Ted2 posts "Bravura Study"
Will posts his recording of pianojerome\'s "Dance"
Mahlzeit posts "Southbound", followed by discussion
Ted2 posts recordings of his other compositions and offers to upload requested scores
Discussion of Cultor\'s "Lonely Clown Waltz"

-------------

ORIGINAL DISCUSSION:

Suppose some of the composers from the Piano World Composers' Lounge (and maybe some composers here, too) were to each post one our own solo piano compositions in one thread, and we pianists were to play and, some of us, record them.

Since it sometimes takes us a while to learn a new piece of music (or maybe a few), we could have an on-going discussion among pianists and composers: how the learning progress is coming along, what people like in the music, what they don't like, different interpretive ideas, etc. Maybe some of us could post recordings at different stages of the learning process, in much the same way that folks in the Adult Beginner's Forum sometimes post weekly recordings for a group project.

Then, whoever could record, would record the "finished product", and the composers would get to hear other people playing their own music. And we the performers, in addition to learning new music written by our Piano World friends, could hear feedback from the composers (something you don't get from playing Beethoven or Bach!). It would be interesting for the composers to hear how others maybe interpret *differently* their own music, (or interpret exactly the same!) but above all, I think it would be fun, both for us and for the composers.

What do you think? Any ideas? Would anyone be willing to learn (and maybe record) one, two, or a few pieces?

Keep in mind, you wouldn't have to post a recording. Speaking as a composer, I would love for others to play my music anyway -- but I would also love to hear recordings from others, too!

I put the idea to the Composer's Lounge, so we'll see if there is interest there, too.

Sam
P
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
P
that's a great idea, we really would be able to learn alot of things just from someone else who plays the same piece but interprets it in a different way. Would love to do that...

Mastering:Chopin Etudes op.10 nos.8&12 and op.25 no.1, Chopin Scherzo no.4 in E major op.54, Mozart Sonata in B flat major K.333& Khachaturian Toccata
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Happy to play and compose.

"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed
that's really a beautifull idea.......I will love to plays forum member's music....And I also love to listen others playing mine =P

E
ecm Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E

M
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
M
Also happy to play and compose!

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
great idea. the composers wuold love it too!

Patience's the best teacher, and time the best critic. - F.F.Chopin
P
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
P
well could'nt we do this for pieces that are commonly played/or have a few people that are playing them? Not just for pieces that are composed by people on this forum

Mastering:Chopin Etudes op.10 nos.8&12 and op.25 no.1, Chopin Scherzo no.4 in E major op.54, Mozart Sonata in B flat major K.333& Khachaturian Toccata
9000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
9000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Amelialw:
well could'nt we do this for pieces that are commonly played/or have a few people that are playing them? Not just for pieces that are composed by people on this forum
It's a good idea, but the main idea here is not just to compare different interpretations... you can do that simply by listening to Brendel, Richter, Michelangeli, and Grimaud playing Beethoven. No need for a big project.

Bu that's only a part of it. The ideas of this project are also to:

---- explore new music
---- play music by people we ourselves interact with
---- have our own compositions played by others
---- hear how the composers react to various interpretations
---- bring together the members of 2 different forums here at PW

If we all just play Beethoven, we're not exploring new music; we're not playing music by someone we've "met"; we're not playing (some of us) our own music; we can't hear how Beethoven would react, or what ideas he might have; it would just be a Pianist Corner thing. Many of us who compose what we think is good music wouldn't get to hear others play it.

Sam
P
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
P
ok,then we could select pieces that are seldom played but are played by a few of us, and do a comparision how about that?

9000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
9000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Amelialw:
ok,then we could select pieces that are seldom played but are played by a few of us, and do a comparision how about that?
How is that different than playing Beethoven or Chopin? smile

Actually, I like your idea -- it was a project that I set up here last summer -- but it's a different project.

Again, the idea here is not simply to compare interpretations. That's only a part of it.

Sam
9000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
9000 Post Club Member
Another problem with picking from the larger repertoire is picking the pieces to play. As I said, we did that last summer -- and it was hard to pick music that everyone would agree on, and I think that is one of the reasons why almost nobody ended up participating, depsite initial enthusiasm. Given the notion that one might play something he has already learned, everybody wanted to tout their own repertoire, rather than learn something new.

Allowing the composers themselves to decide the repertoire gives us our options without any controversy or debate -- it avoids a rut that might overturn the whole thing. It also forces us to learn new music that we haven't heard or played before... and that makes the discussions much more fun!

Sam

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
As somebody who would neither play nor compose, but who would be an eager member of the audience, I think this is a terrific idea, Sam. smile The online AB recital has been a tremendous success, and I've always hoped y'all would do something similar here in the Pianist Corner. Playing pieces composed by our very own composers in the forum is a really neat wrinkle, too.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
can we have our own composition played as well , as in members of the pianist corner and not just the composers lounge?

9000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
9000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by hopinmad:
can we have our own composition played as well , as in members of the pianist corner and not just the composers lounge?
Yes, please. smile

Sam
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
While I think this can be a good idea, composers may have reasons for wanting to post or not post their work.

Personally, I do have some pieces available, but I'm getting ready to send them out to publishers, so I don't want to be distributing them freely. Maybe if I hear back from them and get tons of rejections, then I'll post some of them, but I'm hoping to get some of my work published and as such I'm not too keen on making it freely available. I'm not hoping to get rich on these pieces by any stretch of the imagination, but it would be nice to be paid for ones efforts instead of just giving it away (even if it's just a pittance). Other composers may feel differently - to each their own...

On the flip side, I would be very interested in other members' feedback and perhaps even a performance, so I am tempted to post some stuff. I'll keep an eye on this thread as I'm certainly interested in critiquing other members work, and perhaps I'll contribute something of my own.

What you are is an accident of birth. What I am, I am through my own efforts. There have been a thousand princes and there will be a thousand more. There is one Beethoven.
9000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
9000 Post Club Member
Kreisler, Kornu, Max, Chopinmad --

Do you already have some music that you might post, or are you thinking of writing something new? I think it might be best to keep this as a summer project, when some people have more time to practice -- but I don't know how long it would take you to compose a new short piece.

8ude --

That's a very reasonable concern. I look forward to reading your responses to the music that is posted.

Sam
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
i have some short pieces which i have. whether im missing something im not sure, but i dont know how to post them. on a computer programme?? or is there something on the forum?

well.....I have little pieces, not finished at all....but If you say that this is a summer project I think I have some time to finish them...I'll also love to listen others music....not a big composer here....I would like to be on the interpretation band ^^

PD: It is "band"? or "faction"? or "side?...sorry =(

9000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
9000 Post Club Member
By 'summer project' I mean learning the music, too... which means that probably the composers will need to post their music by July 1.

This still gives a couple of weeks to finish composing, and a few months for all of us to learn how to play the music, before the end of the summer.

KoRnU, I'm sure we would all love for you to be on the interpretation band/faction/side. smile

Sam
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,166
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission