2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
66 members (anotherscott, Bellyman, Carey, brennbaer, busa, Barly, 1957, 13 invisible), 1,980 guests, and 320 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
T
OP Offline
T
(sorry if this is on the wrong forum ! - I'm relatively new here - perhaps the powers-that-be may want to move it to the piano forum - I just wanted opinions from piano players )

In a recent thread I stated that as a cellist I find one of the great adavantages of piano playing is that you don't have to tune it evety day - BUT_ you have to put up with the state of tuning until it's tuned again!

I came back to serious playing last year - had the piano tuned by our long term regular man - but oh dear - I had to get him back and even then it wasn't right... problems with a cold winter and central heating problems resulted in a quality upright sounding fit for an East-End honky tonk sesssion (remember Flash Harry in the St Trinians films ??)

- so we appointed a new man end of March this year -- he did a sterling job and also spent three hours on the 'regulation' mechanism...

thing is - it's now late May and I'm already thinking it sound 'out' - ok as a former keen cellist I was always listening to pitch and adjustign accordingly - I accept there has to be a degree of desensistisation - equal temparament is fine providing it stays equal ---

I'm keen to know from pianists (hence the posting on THIS forum) :

- how often do you have a tuning
- when after the tuning do you notice sourness
ie how long is one tolerant to this

- and perhaps in conjunction with the above - how
many hours a day is your piano played

PS/FYI - I play 1-2 hours today and my teacher tactfully refers to me as a "strong" player (I'm not a 'small' person and I do tend to make everything sound like Rachmaninov !)

5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
I have mine tuned about every four to six months which usually catches it before it really NEEDS it. I practice between 3-5 hours a day and am a "gentle" player

Slow down and do it right.
[Linked Image]
J
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
J
I have my piano tuned every 6 months. It's a new instrument, and with the Dampp-chaser installed it stays very stable through out the year. By following this schedule, I am able to keep the piano in relatively good tuning before it sounds nasty.

Like Frycek, I play and practice about 1 to 2 hours a day with sometimes more on the weekends. I am not a forceful player, but can put out the power when needed.

John

Current works in progress:

Beethoven Sonata Op. 10 No. 2 in F, Haydn Sonata Hoboken XVI:41, Bach French Suite No. 5 in G BWV 816

Current instruments: Schimmel-Vogel 177T grand, Roland LX-17 digital, and John Lyon unfretted Saxon clavichord.
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I have my piano tuned about every six months. It is just beginning to go out at about that time. It is a relatively new Yamaha grand. I play two or three hours a day, and I think of myself as a relatively robust player.

Tomasino

"Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do so with all thy might." Ecclesiastes 9:10

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
It depends on how you play. If you play it rarely and gently, less. If you are at a professional level, it is out after one program.

Ironically, I just finished tuning mine today. This was my first self-tuning, and I plan on doing it about 6-8 times a year... maybe more if it needs it. I am going to keep the lever out, however, year round to shape up bad notes daily. Simple... knock one out, tune it!

2 times a year isn't enough, in my opinion

"Beauty is unbearable, drives us to despair, offering us for a minute the glimpse of an eternity that we should like to stretch out over the whole of time."

-Albert Camus,

Jim
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
about every six months. i used to be able to deal with it being out of tune a lot more, but then i decided to major in music. surrounded by a lot of tuned pianos makes my piano sound like crap very easily....

That's right...I have the same birthday as Mozart. If only it meant something and I could have one thousandth of his genius...in my dreams, i suppose.
C
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
C
Tim, I live in the same area as you and I have noticed my pianos going more out of tune over the past 2-3 weeks, my grand especially. I have them tuned every 6 months but at the last tuning decided to go for every 4 as I use them all every day for teaching and playing. I do think that some people notice tuning problems more than others. As a string player your ear is probably quite sensitive. I think my grand only stays completely in tune for a coulpe of weeks after tuning. For some reason the 2 uprights hold better, I don't know why this is. I will have to tolerate it until the next tuning at the end of August.

Pianist and piano teacher.
D
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Mine stayed in tune for about 8 minutes. That's why I don't have one anymore. :p wink

Every day we are afforded a new chance. The problem with life is not that you run out of chances. In the end, what you run out of are days.
L
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
L
I just bought a Yamaha T121 3hearts
It should come this weekend.

I will probably have it tuned every 5 monthes.

Debussy20

H
H
It depends on the weather. As the seasons change, so does the temperature and humidity in the house -- and the piano goes out of tune when these change. Forced hot air heat really dries out the air; you should expect the piano to go out of tune once the heat has been on for a while. I set my thermostat lower than usual this winter and my piano stayed closer to being in tune than usual. Same in the summer -- if I run the air-conditioner most of the time, the piano stays in better tune. If you want your piano to stay in tune for a long time, you need to control humidity. Please don't hold your piano tuner responsible for changes due to humidity and temperature variation.

Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
One of the disadvantages of being a string player is that you have to tune your instrument every time you play it.

One of the advantages of being a string player is that you can tune your instrument every time you play it.

I had my first piano tuned five times during the first year. Thereafter, four times the second year, and three times a year for the next two years.

My current piano is new. It was tuned in February and again in April. Next tuning will be July, most likely, just before an in-home recital. I probably will have it tuned three to four times a year when it settles. The current wisdom seems to be that frequent tuning of a new piano helps assure future stability.

Pianists learn to live with pianos that remain in tune for only short periods of time after each tuning. What does surprise me is that some pianists let their pianos go badly out of tune and seem to be able to ignore that fact.
Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
My piano hasn't been tuned yet this year. It's starting to get pretty out. I need to find some funds, maybe I'll drag it down the high street and busk under the bridge?

Yeah, I am going to phone my tuner any day/week now. In fact I'll probably do it soon after submitting this post. And then start saving for a whole new piano, my old Waldstein is getting a bit old now, not helped by the fact that I'm a pretty heavy player. I know it's bad but I just love playing really loud.

"If there is anyone here whom I have not insulted, I beg his pardon." - Brahms
C
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
C
I tune, regulate and voice my own pianos, so I can afford to not wait until the change is discernible. Typically, I will tune them every month....maybe fine tune would be a better description at that interval. I regulate them as I feel the need, same with voicing. I typically practice about three hours a day. The force with which I play is correlated directly to the piece I am playing.

Piano Technician/Tuner
I generally tune mine every six months, but that has changed with my new piano. Right now it's been tuned twice since November, and it will be tuned again on Thursday. I too play for at least a couple of hours every day, and since I've started to do accompanyment, it pays to have the piano in good tune if I even think I'm going to be practicing with someone else at my house.

"Music, when soft voices die, vibrates in the memory."

"A verbal art like poetry is reflective; it stops to think. Music is immediate, it goes on to become." --W.H. Auden
AJB Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Typically every three to at most four months.

It is subject to some variation in humidity and temperature. And it gets a lot of use.

I am also a string player and I am sensitive to tuning issues. Tuning is relatively cheap and is worth it to ehance my enjoyment.

The first thing to go is a few unisons in the middle section. As soon as that happens I call the tuner.

I beleive that insufficient maintenance is a false economy and degrades the pleasure derived from something we spend hundreds of hours doing.

Adrian

C212. Teaching. Accompaniment.

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,387
Posts3,349,212
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission