Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#346096 - 12/19/07 07:18 PM What do you think?
CC2 and Chopin lover Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Over the time that I have been a member of this forum, I have come across many questions regarding pain and injuries related to piano playing. Being a Physical Therapist, Pianist and Piano Technician, I feel I have a unique perspective on these questions. Often, as I am answering people's concerns using sound science and medical/rehab practices, I witness many others giving advice which, to be kind, is something less than evidence based. This started me thinking about what kind of interest there might be, in the piano community, for a booklet that would show the do's and dont's of posture and body mechanics when at the piano, along with information on critical anatomy and typical injuries that can occur. Before I put forth the time, effort and expense it would take to put such a booklet together, I was wondering what other pianists thought? Do you think there would be a market for such a piece of informational literature, and, if so, what would be a fair price to charge, in your opinion?

Ad 800 (Pearl River)
Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano
#346097 - 12/19/07 09:38 PM Re: What do you think?
RachOn Offline

Loc: W. Pa.
CC2 -- such a book would be a great service. I don't know if there's anything else out there like it, but if not, it's over due!
Would you consider releasing it in electronic form so as to reduce your overhead?

#346098 - 12/19/07 09:45 PM Re: What do you think?
1000 Post Club Member

RachOn,
Yes, I was thinking of a PDF format. Thanks for your response. A lot of folks on the beginners forum are saying that there's plenty of information of this sort already out there on the internet for free, so I don't know that the effort would be worthwhile.
Dan

#346099 - 12/19/07 11:11 PM Re: What do you think?
apple* Offline

Loc: Kansas
would i pay for something knowing who you are and what you've posted in the past?

yes..

would i pay if i hadn't a clue as to who your were?

no.

love and peace, ├Ľun (apple in Estonian)

#346100 - 12/19/07 11:32 PM Re: What do you think?
Kreisler Offline

Loc: Iowa City, IA
It's difficult to say, as there are already a few books on the market that cover the subject.

What you might consider instead is giving a presentation at a state or national convention, or at a local university (is SUNY Stony Brook in your neighborhood?)

If you built up a bit of a reputation, or even if the institution has some money, you may receive an honorarium for your services.

Both the MTNA and WPPC conferences love to have people from the wellness community present, and it's something of a hot topic these days.
"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed

#346101 - 12/20/07 06:55 AM Re: What do you think?
1000 Post Club Member

Hi Kreisler,
I actually teach in the Stony Brook University Physical Therapy program as an adjunct professor. While my lectures are not directly related to the piano there, I do certainly emphasize the connections between poor postures, body mechanics and repetition and the chronic injury of soft tissue structures. Given the general trend of the responses I've received so far on both this and the beginner's forum, I am less inclined to make the effort this would entail. Seems most people are convinced there is enough out there already on this subject. Thanks, all, for your input.

#346102 - 12/20/07 10:06 AM Re: What do you think?
Phlebas Offline

Loc: New York City
That type of this would be useful, although like Kreisler said, there are other books that cover this.

Also, keep in mind that there is not universal agreement in every area of the topic.

I am with you in cringing when I hear some of the misinformation posted here and elsewhere though.

#346103 - 12/20/07 10:33 AM Re: What do you think?
tomasino Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Minneapolis, Minnesota
"A booklet," and "a piece of informational literature." That could be anything from a 3 panel fold out to somethng of about 24 pages stapled together.

Doesn't sound to me like you're dreaming quite big enough.

You have to assess yourself what is out there already, as only you know what you have in mind for a book. But I wouldn't let the idea go with a response from the forum based on your proposal. The best people to make a final assessment before committing to write or publish, are publishers of these kinds of books. They would know what's out there in a collated form, and why it is selling or not selling, and some idea as to why or why not.

I think you should conceive of something that would have enough heft to make you the authority on the subject: a book, preferably with a hard cover, of at least 150 pages of detailed, authoritative information, complete with well done illustrations and photographs. It has to trump anything else that is out there.

Book agents like to have a one page "book proposal" that they show to publishers, that states the authority of the author--degrees and experience, publishing history, the possible buyership of the book, who are they, how many of them are there, as well as the content of the book. That may be enough for established authors, but a "mock-up," or prototype is needed for an unknown writer.

If you're motivated enough, you might mock the idea up. Write a single chapter in detail, and sketch out the other chapters. Then collect the photos and illustrations for the one chapter, and have a first class graphic designer put it together. Print it out and bind it.

Show that around and see what people think. Find a book agent--at the University of Minnesota, we had a book agent on staff for awhile, (she was a friend of mine, that's how I know something about this stuff), who had established relationships with publishers, and pitched books to them on behalf of the faculty. You might check into that possibility. Or mail it to publishers yourself. Even if you're thinking of self-publishing, which, aside from distribution and marketing of the book, is very doable these days, the exercise would be helpful to you.

Tomasino
"Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do so with all thy might." Ecclesiastes 9:10

#346104 - 12/20/07 12:25 PM Re: What do you think?
Morodiene Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
Tomasino:
This is very helpful information! I wrote my master's thesis on using improvisation and composition in a traditional piano lesson and I was encouraged by my committee to get it published. Do you know of any good resources that go into detail on this subject?
Petrof 9'2 Concert, Yamaha G3, Roland FP-7, Yamaha MOX6, Kawai MP11

#346105 - 12/20/07 12:58 PM Re: What do you think?
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Oakland
I think that no matter what you recommend, especially what you recommend not to do, you will always find a famous pianist doing exactly the opposite.

As Kreisler pointed out, there are lots of books on the subject already. The one that I have that goes into the most anatomical detail is the one by E. Robert Schmitz. It gained enough popularity at one time that there were editions of music printed using his terminology. But who knows about it these days? Schmitz taught around here, which is probably why I have been able to pick up some of this material. I knew one of his students which made it attractive to me. But I have to confess, I have not read through it all. His student did not teach the original material, but used the methods in his teaching. His students probably know little if anything about Schmitz. This is the fate of all teaching methods, probably.

#346106 - 12/20/07 03:52 PM Re: What do you think?
1000 Post Club Member

Tomasino,
Thanks for the detailed info on getting published. Truth is, it is not a dream of mine to write a book on this subject. Quite frankly, between all the other things I am currently devoted to and involved in, it would be a challenge, logistically, just to create a small booklet on the subject. The idea occurred to me only because I find myself frequently reading, or answering, concerns from injured pianists on this forum. I do know that the same types of things that cause repetitive stress injuries in the general population are those that cause injury in pianists. BDB, you are absolutely correct that there are many examples of less than desireable postures and body mechanics being utilized by great pianists with no apparent ill effect. I guess we can chalk that up to the same idiosyncrasies that allow some people to smoke for 60 years without ever developing lung cancer or emphysema.

#346107 - 12/21/07 02:07 AM Re: What do you think?
Betty Patnude Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Puyallup, Washington
CC2 and Chopin lover,

I think you should do it - especially as it's a specific to piano injury.

There is lots of activity on medicine and injury in workshops and research and speakers going on. Perhaps you could also list organized resources by state or country.

Dr. Frank Wilson and Vicky King are the first who come to mind as being piano specific. American Music Teacher (MTNA) has articles and advertising from time to time. I'm sure I could resource others in this field.

The effort is worthwhile because it is probably part of your purpose in life, combining Physical Therapy, professorship, pianist, and piano techician should be very convincing. I would be grateful to read it from your point of view.

I have had physical therapy treatment many time for chronic problems that have limited my lifestyle and piano playing. I've taught for 37 years, and have had physical limitations for the past 4 1/2 years. I have had a gifted therapist during this time. But, nothing has helped my desire to get seriously back on the piano bench and play in a thrilling and sensitive way. You can see that I would welcome your expertise. By the way, my biggest problems are from accidents, and arthritis.

You might survey the piano teachers forum.

Encouragement to you!

Betty

#346108 - 12/21/07 07:49 AM Re: What do you think?
1000 Post Club Member

Thanks to all for your input, insight and encouragement. I will have to explore this further to determine what kind of committment will be required to do what I would like. In the meantime, I wish you all excellent health, well being and the joy of playing your piano this holiday season and all year long.

#346109 - 12/21/07 02:38 PM Re: What do you think?
lilylady Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: boston north
CC2,

Doesn't matter 'who else' has done 'what else' in the past.

Your contribution to this would be much appreciated as well as being needed.

Go forth with it.

LL

#346110 - 12/21/07 09:27 PM Re: What do you think?
Thefiredigger Offline

Loc: USA
I second lilylady's motion. I am very interested to know how the combination of knowledge from the three different fields has given you insight to each other. I don't know of any Piano Players who are also Technicians and Physical Therapists who have written books on the subject. Hence I would tend to think that the insight you have would be unique. The knowledge of anatomy is something that pianists do not have. Even pianists who are writing books on the subject. Besides that Knowing how the Piano works is essential to knowing what physical ingredients are needed to play.

So yes, Please go forward!

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
123 registered (anotherscott, 36251, AndrewJCW, 35 invisible), 1368 Guests and 15 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76001 Members
42 Forums
157156 Topics
2308147 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Rusty strings- a silly question?
by PhilipInChina
Today at 08:59 AM
Yamaha "reconditioned in Japan"
by NanatoFour
Today at 08:44 AM
New start - wish me good luck:)
by FarmGirl
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Automatic Piano Players...
by tksler
Yesterday at 10:33 PM
No one home?
by ScottM
Yesterday at 08:05 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission