2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
74 members (AlkansBookcase, Charles Cohen, 36251, benkeys, 20/20 Vision, bcalvanese, booms, Bruce Sato, Carey, 10 invisible), 1,924 guests, and 262 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#349375 04/10/05 07:59 PM
A
alemor Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Despite already knowing quite a bit of piano theory, I was forced to go through the Alfred books (they aren't bad books, just frustrating when you can already do everything in them) as I had started at the age of eleven. A little less than three years later, I had only begun to learn Fur Elise and so on. I see many posts about students learning Fur Elise and songs of that level after about a month. I understand that my teacher felt it necessary to put me through Alfred but, had he only started the way I have heard others do, I believe I would be much further along. Much of the musc theory I knew at that time was already ground into my mind so the books didn't do much to reinforce it. I am glad that I am out of Alfred and am now playing "Minute Waltz" and "Moonlight Sonata" (Mvt. 1) Does anyone know whether I would be further along otherwise or not? I will check in on this topic tomorrow as I have to leave at the moment.

Alemor

#349376 04/10/05 08:06 PM
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
What is the point of the Alfred books? To build a solid foundation for technique.

Perhaps other students learn Fur Elise after one month. But I would bet they really struggle through it. Maybe they learn the Moonlight Sonata 1st movement and the Minute Waltz after a year. But I'd bet they really struggle through it, because they're trying to learn all of the technique at the same time.

By the time they have been playing for three years, as you have been, how well can they play those pieces? How good is their resulting technique?

I haven't heard you play, but I wouldn't assume from your situation as you have described it that you are not "behind" at all. You may have just the same amount of technique or more than the hypothetical students we've discussed.

Sam
#349377 04/10/05 09:49 PM
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Time spent on a good foundation is always well-spent.

It is, however, hard to say whether or not the Alfred work helped your foundation or not. Much of it depends on how you approached the technical aspects.

"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed
#349378 04/11/05 04:41 AM
A
alemor Offline OP
OP Offline
A
I approached the technical aspects the same way I approach most tasks: repetition. Since I already knew much of the theory, I just repeated the techniques until they were in my hands. This didn't take long though, and I'd rather have at least started at a more advanced book. I think I'd just rather have been allowed to move at my own pace. The Alfred books probably helped to an extent on a little theory and foundation but I soon learned more from the internet. Unfortunately, I didn't know about sites like sheetmusicarchive.net and had to make do with the music I had. Oh well, it's in the past and the best I can do is move at my own pace now that I'm allowed to. Thanks for your comments.

#349379 04/13/05 02:18 AM
I'm looking forward to further speculation on whether we are just treading water and whether we should be pushing ourselves harder!

I'm getting depressed hearing how so many people are playing advanced repertoire after only a few months of having touched the piano. Maybe there is merit in the idea of walking into the piano studio and saying to a teacher, "I want to learn piece X," and just learning that one, and then learning another famous piece you like, etc. I am going to start a topic thread on this because the concept is very interesting. How are those people managing it?!?! I mean . . . get real here, because after a hiatus of a couple of months, I have to play for a couple of days or even weeks before my fingers are back in shape and things "feel" good again. And I lose my repertoire if I don't play it occasionally and have to go back to looking at the score.

Music soothes the savage anything.
www.livejournal.com/users/shalanna

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission