Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#351177 - 08/21/01 09:03 PM My fingers hurt....
meltone1 Offline

Loc: Wichita KS
Ok here's my problem.. ever since about the end of last semester(about 5 months ago) I was practicing hard for an upcoming recital. The night before the recital, I noticed a sharp pain in my fingers.. and this was kind of difficult for me to take because in my mind, "the piece wasn't ready yet" so the next day I continued to practice.. maybe a little less than I have planned on, and by the time the performance came my fingers were quite sore. My performance didn't really suffer, but after it I had to take about a week break from piano to let my fingers recoup. Well ever since that, I have not been able to practice nearly as long as I would like to because this pain keeps coming back and I have to skip days frequently because of it. I am only talking about 2 hours of practice a day, and the next day they are still really sensitive! I don't know if I did permanent damage or what, but does anyone have any suggestions on what I can do to be able to lengthen my practice times? any remedies, tricks or fixes that anyone knows of to make your fingers feel better or to make them recoup faster? I feel my advancement and practice is really becoming hindered because of this, and it is really dissapointing because I have never experienced this before the recital.

Ad 800 (Pearl River)
Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano
#351178 - 08/21/01 10:15 PM Re: My fingers hurt....
PianoMuse Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Philly, PA
You need to see a physical therapist! Any type of pain, anywhere, is a bad sign...ECSPECIALLY if it lasts for more than 10 minutes after you are done playing. If you injured something, or pulled a tendon or whatever, you need to see a physical therapist very soon so that you can reverse any damage that may have been done.

#351179 - 08/21/01 10:44 PM Re: My fingers hurt....
Amy Offline

Loc: Upstate New York
ALWAYS take things like this VERY seriously. You need to see a doctor, physical therapist, or a physical therapist for musicians RIGHT AWAY!!!! I had problems with my hands and I waited a while to see a doctor and I ended up having to have hand surgery because I waited too long. You need to take good care of your hands and be very careful with them if you want to play for the rest of your life. Please be careful and see someone soon!!! Any type of pain is bad. It is your body's signal to stop doing whatever you're doing. Do your fingers ever go numb?

#351180 - 08/21/01 10:55 PM Re: My fingers hurt....
Amy Offline

Loc: Upstate New York
Here are some links to things that you should read. Some of them have a series of stretches to do before playing. http://www.engr.unl.edu/ee/eeshop/music.html
Also, there is a physical therapist for musicians (who I saw) at Ithaca college in New York. Its worth a trip to see him if you're not too far. You can find him at the Ithaca College webpage. http://www.ithaca.edu
His name is Nick Quarrier. I'm not sure on the spelling of his last name.
There are plenty of other webpages for musicians that talk about injuries. You can do a search for them. They should come up with the keywords "musicians injuries"

#351181 - 08/22/01 10:11 AM Re: My fingers hurt....
Rachelle Offline

Loc: singapore
yes, any injury should be dealt immediately.I got my veins twisted near my thigh many years ago and ignore it now I need to face the consequences of experiencing pain especially during cold weather. I have recently finnished my piano exams and unfortunately got my 4th finger twisted, and causing much pain on that day and hindered me from pratising despite the fact that I did consult a therapist. It took me 4 days to heal, fortunately,I dont have such problems coming up again, YOU must not ignore it, as such injuries can worsen with time.Anyway, it did not bother much for not playing well for my exams, what is more important is that one can still continue to play piano , or you will find something missing out in life.

[ August 22, 2001: Message edited by: Rachelle ]

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
99 registered (Alux, Anticlock, Amaranth, aesop, 25 invisible), 1073 Guests and 20 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75979 Members
42 Forums
157133 Topics
2307684 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
a video of Alexander Siloti's daughter playing the piano
by Michael Sayers
08/28/14 08:26 PM
Kimball spinet neoprene lifter nuts
by dschwoyer
08/28/14 08:22 PM
Looking for a re-built Steinway or Steinwas
by ColinD
08/28/14 07:29 PM
First time purchasing an acoustic piano, need some help.
by Lockon52
08/28/14 07:14 PM
Yamaha Clavinova CVP-83s Parts needed
by Jason Solis
08/28/14 06:57 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission