Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#351615 - 11/04/07 10:06 AM free harpsichord recordings of 555 Scarlatti sonatas
pianojerome Offline
9000 Post Club Member

http://www.sankey.ws/scarlattirec.html

Quote:
All my harpsichord recordings are Copyright © John Sankey, 1980-2005, under the Berne convention solely[/b] in order to protect the right of all to continue to use them freely. Anyone may copy, link to, or distribute any of them as much as they wish as long as as long as this notice of copyright and permission to further copy is distributed with all copies. You are free to modify them as you wish for your personal use, but I require that solely my original unaltered files be posted or distributed to others. No one may restrict their further use as above in any way, by collection copyright, physical copy protection, or any other means. The courtesy of a site reference or credit is always appreciated.

Ad 800 (Pearl River)
Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano
#351616 - 11/04/07 11:57 AM Re: free harpsichord recordings of 555 Scarlatti sonatas
LiszThalberg Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Thank you very much Sam. This helps a great deal, now if only IMSLP was still up and I could follow along with all 555! \:D

Matt

#351617 - 11/04/07 12:10 PM Re: free harpsichord recordings of 555 Scarlatti sonatas
BDB Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Oakland
You can buy a CD with the complete Longo edition very inexpensively.

#351618 - 11/04/07 12:49 PM Re: free harpsichord recordings of 555 Scarlatti sonatas
pianojerome Offline
9000 Post Club Member

I just start K113 today. It's a good one!

#351619 - 11/04/07 04:44 PM Re: free harpsichord recordings of 555 Scarlatti sonatas
joemoshi Offline

Loc: Canada
Thank you Sam. This is great, I am sure I will learn a few of the sonatas.

#351620 - 11/04/07 05:46 PM Re: free harpsichord recordings of 555 Scarlatti sonatas
Theowne Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Toronto, Canada
Are you guys talking about that 1.4 MB zip file on that site?

I only listened to one so far (K159) but it sounds more like an arrangement than a recording, those trills are far too "computerized" to be coming from human fingers. Also, opening the MIDI for that file shows all the notes to be perfectly even, at exactly identical volume/velocities, timing to be perfectly spot on, the trills consist of perfectly identical time values, etc...

So the term "recording" is a bit misleading (I thought someone had actually learned and played all 555 sonatas). In fact "harpsichord recordings" might also be a bit misleading since it's only a MIDI file that can be assigned to be played by any computerized instrument.

#351621 - 11/04/07 07:56 PM Re: free harpsichord recordings of 555 Scarlatti sonatas
signa Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Loc: Ohio, USA
thanks PJ for the info. i'd like to play a few more Scarlatti too, even though i'd been struggling to play his music well.

#351622 - 11/05/07 11:15 AM Re: free harpsichord recordings of 555 Scarlatti sonatas
Bassio Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Alexandria, Egypt
Yes signa. Scarlatti may seem easy at first sight but the music hides more difficulties.

I once tried K27 with no success.

#351623 - 11/05/07 11:26 AM Re: free harpsichord recordings of 555 Scarlatti sonatas
argerichfan Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pacific Northwest, US.
 Quote:
Originally posted by Bassio:
Yes signa. Scarlatti may seem easy at first sight but the music hides more difficulties.
Read Charles Rosen. (Nobody's fool, certainly.) He claims Scarlatti can be as difficult as Liszt... obviously in different ways, but we get the point. And after having read through a fair amount of Scarlatti...

#351624 - 11/05/07 01:16 PM Re: free harpsichord recordings of 555 Scarlatti sonatas
signa Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Loc: Ohio, USA
agreed about Scarlatti. take a look at his K3, with such innocent and simple look on pages, and yet try to play it fluently and see what happens...

#351625 - 12/14/07 09:02 AM Re: free harpsichord recordings of 555 Scarlatti sonatas
Scriabinghost Offline

Loc: Essex, England
These are not recordings but MIDI files. A MIDI recording is not, as Theowne suggests, a recording. These MIDI files have either been created by playing the sonatas on a digital keyboard and recording the output in a sequencer (with or without subsequent editing) or, worse, they have been programmed in by hand in a sequencer or score writing programme. Or, very worst, the scores have been scanned in and interpreted by a sequencer programme.

The internet has spawned a lot of this sort of thing. It may have a documentary value to hear very obscure material but for core repertiore like Scarlatti? Give us a break! A silly fraud!

#351626 - 12/14/07 09:12 AM Re: free harpsichord recordings of 555 Scarlatti sonatas
apple* Offline

Loc: Kansas
not at all

love and peace, Õun (apple in Estonian)

#351627 - 12/14/07 01:01 PM Re: free harpsichord recordings of 555 Scarlatti sonatas
John Citron Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Haverhill, Massachusetts
I've heard these "recordings" too, and I find them to be a bit dry like many MIDI performances.

I've played many of them, and I find that are many that very difficult to play. I purchased the complete set of the Ricordi Urtext edition (l'expensif!), and there are some in there I've never heard before along with the more common ones. In many places he used figured bass where in the modern editions the figured bass is completely ignored.

What I like about them is that they make the hands and fingers dance once you've figured out the articulation and a comfortable tempo.

John

#351628 - 12/14/07 06:51 PM Re: free harpsichord recordings of 555 Scarlatti sonatas
AndrewG Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Denver, Colorado
I never listen to any MIDI. I can't stand the sound. I'd rather be without any recording. MIDI is definetely something I can live without.

#351629 - 12/14/07 07:45 PM Re: free harpsichord recordings of 555 Scarlatti sonatas
BruceD Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Victoria, BC
 Quote:
Originally posted by AndrewG:
I never listen to any MIDI. I can't stand the sound. I'd rather be without any recording. MIDI is definetely something I can live without. [/b]
I'm with AndrewG!

Regards,

#351630 - 12/15/07 12:46 AM Re: free harpsichord recordings of 555 Scarlatti sonatas
apple* Offline

Loc: Kansas
well sure.

but i sure like having a listen to the notes played before buying music.

love and peace, Õun (apple in Estonian)

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
8 Live Ragtime Piano Players on the Cape!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
recording digital piano
by johan d
26 minutes 16 seconds ago
Ambitious Jazz beginner
by Ruan
Today at 01:10 AM
Is this a real Steinway?
by chernobieff
Yesterday at 11:51 PM
DGX-650 TOPIC
by Jtreimer
Yesterday at 11:24 PM
Janko keyboard video
by Michael Sayers
Yesterday at 08:28 PM
Who's Online
64 registered (AZNpiano, Andrs Lieber, andwi, Banshee, angga888, 16 invisible), 1164 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76610 Members
42 Forums
158407 Topics
2326259 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission