Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#354491 - 11/02/04 04:05 PM WTC P&F No 2 in C minor
Plwatcher Offline

Loc: Atlanta, GA
Any tips for being more ..........
A. expressive in this piece
B. playing faster
C. keeping a consistent fingering (besides practicing)
D. How did you go about learning this piece?
I play the right hand, then play the left, and slowly mold them. After playing the right with a certain fingering and doing the same for the left.

Ad 800 (Pearl River)
Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano
#354492 - 11/02/04 04:40 PM Re: WTC P&F No 2 in C minor
fnork Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Helsinki, finland
I did a recording of it, you can listen to it here:
www.angelfire.com/music6/pianostuff17

About playing faster, I guess you're mostly speaking about the preludium right? I think you should practice the hands seperately. Try to play each first sixteenth note (which is on the beat) with an accent, and the three sixteenth notes that follow much more quiet. Practice this slowly! Make it a big contrast - a forte on the first note and piano or mezzo piano on the other notes.

#354493 - 11/02/04 04:41 PM Re: WTC P&F No 2 in C minor
fnork Offline
1000 Post Club Member

About expressiveness... It's nothing I think about when playing it. With bach, it comes automatically in my opinion. I wouldn't bother too much about where to make a crescendo, how to phrase etc... just do it!

#354494 - 11/02/04 05:05 PM Re: WTC P&F No 2 in C minor
Plwatcher Offline

Ahh, thanks for the advice!!!!!

#354495 - 11/02/04 05:07 PM Re: WTC P&F No 2 in C minor
Plwatcher Offline

Fnork, I really like ur recording of WTF in C minor. It sounds great!!! What an inspiration!!!

#354496 - 11/02/04 05:08 PM Re: WTC P&F No 2 in C minor
Plwatcher Offline

Also how did you go about recording the file? I noticed its in a small mp3 format?

#354497 - 11/02/04 05:29 PM Re: WTC P&F No 2 in C minor
fnork Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Thanks! I'm not too proud of it myself (the preludium sounds too heavy overall and the hands aren't always together, and I missed too many notes in the fugue), but I'm glad you liked it \:\) I like playing the fugue the most, it's really fun. Think of the melodies as a conversation - one of them says this, the next one replies etc.

I recorded it on my friends MP3-player with external microphone which was included with the MP3-player. I compressed the file to make it small enough to put up on angelfire.

#354498 - 11/02/04 05:36 PM Re: WTC P&F No 2 in C minor
Plwatcher Offline

compressed it how? as in zipped it?

#354499 - 11/02/04 05:38 PM Re: WTC P&F No 2 in C minor
Plwatcher Offline

I was just finished practicing the Prelude, I wrote out fingering for both hands and can play both hands at about m.m. 65. Im not quite at the Presto section yet.... I have a little trouble around measure 15/16 or so, with the left hand there is a jump.... Other than that I am progressing fine, I want to have it down as in notes and at least m.m.75 by this time next week.

#354500 - 11/02/04 06:13 PM Re: WTC P&F No 2 in C minor
fnork Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Just compressed so that I could have lower quality. That file is just 64 kbps or something like that, so it takes less space. That's all.

Make sure you can play it from memory ASAP. Try to play the first four measures without the sheet music in front of you - does it work? If yes, good! Try a couple more measures and see if that works too. If this doesn't work, practice with sheet music for a while and THEN take it away.
Which measure, more specifically, has a left-hand jump that troubles you? If you tell me the exact measure, perhaps I can help you.

Make sure that the hands are totally together all of the time, otherwise it will sound sloppy.

#354501 - 11/02/04 10:18 PM Re: WTC P&F No 2 in C minor
signa Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Loc: Ohio, USA
fnork, the prelude is not bad at all, although sounds little uneven at the end. i never finish learning this piece and some day i will do both prelude and fugue which i do love.

#354502 - 11/02/04 10:30 PM Re: WTC P&F No 2 in C minor
NAK Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada
Try not to use (de)crescendos in this piece. Use something called "terraced dynamics", where you change the dynamics instantly; no gradual rising and falling of the dynamics. The Prelude is a good piece to practice your terraced dynamics, though you may want to do something a little different in the runs at the end.

fnork, I like your recording of the Ballade No.3 by Chopin.

#354503 - 11/02/04 10:53 PM Re: WTC P&F No 2 in C minor
Requiem Aeternam Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Brooklyn, NY
Very good fnork, just curious how long have you been playing and what piano do you use?

#354504 - 11/03/04 01:46 AM Re: WTC P&F No 2 in C minor
fnork Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Thanks for the positive responses \:\) NAK, you probably have a point there, and I actually haven't tried it yet.

Requiem: I started playing about 7 years ago, although I never got a good teacher until I started upper secondary school, which was about two and a half years ago. Since then, I've become much better and have practiced more. In my home, I have an upright piano of Nordiska Pianofabriken. However, I usually practice in school instead, since they have far better instruments there. The recordings were done on a Yamaha grand, which is the piano I usually end up practicing on \:\)

#354505 - 11/03/04 02:20 AM Re: WTC P&F No 2 in C minor
F. Chopin Offline

Loc: England
You can download Angela Hewitt's recording of this here:

Download

#354506 - 11/03/04 07:18 AM Re: WTC P&F No 2 in C minor
Pathbreaker Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Massachusetts
fnork: thanks for posting your recording. i've played through this piece earlier in the year but I never polished it to performance level. After hearing yours and some of the comments on here I think I might work on it again as practice. I never settled on a tempo for this piece and I've heard recordings of jando and a sample of Schiff's. Your tempo is much like Schiff's but Jando plays it a lot faster. I don't know which I prefer yet but i'll post again maybe after I've played around with it. Plwatcher: how much faster do you want to play it? or should I say how fast are you playing it now?
When I learned this piece I did HS all the way through and then slowly HT after I memorized it all. Also HS helped me nail a consistent and comfortable fingering. And I agree with fnork i think memorizing it makes it much much easier. ofcourse I had no choice because my sight-reading is horrible. \:\(

#354507 - 11/03/04 07:43 AM Re: WTC P&F No 2 in C minor
8ude Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Whenever I play this I make sure not to start too fast. I find some interpretations start fast and then when they hit the presto section they only speed up a little bit. For me, I'd rather have the opening section be moderately fast, but not too much so - so that when you hit the Presto section the contrast is more marked. The suggestion as to playing the first note right on and then the following three is a good one.

#354508 - 11/03/04 07:49 AM Re: WTC P&F No 2 in C minor
8ude Offline
2000 Post Club Member

fnork - I like your choice of tempi - my recording (not a good one, I can't even remember who does it) is much much faster in the beginning \:\( I would personally go a little faster in the presto, but the point is - not too fast to start off.

#354509 - 11/03/04 08:09 AM Re: WTC P&F No 2 in C minor
Pathbreaker Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Massachusetts
that's strange i posted a reply 5 minutes ago and it's not here?
well 8ude you make some really good points. especially about the tempo relative to the presto section. I think i'll explore that when i get the motivation to take that music out. actually, these days it's tough because I always have the motivation to play but NO time. It's very frustrating. \:\(
the presto section took me a little longer to get down compared to the rest but in general this piece just feels natural for the fingers.
Another piece that I like and is also not too difficult in the WTC is the G major prelude from book 2.

#354510 - 11/03/04 04:13 PM Re: WTC P&F No 2 in C minor
Plwatcher Offline

Thanks guys for the tons of advice!!

My troublesome measures are #s 10, 18 & 19 --- The left hands have a few jumps, and I dont want to play wrong notes. Any tips....

+ my ideal tempo, or at least the one in my book is M.M.108 but if I can get to around 88-95 that would be ideal, but then there might not be enough contrast, between that section and the Presto.

#354511 - 11/03/04 04:22 PM Re: WTC P&F No 2 in C minor
HannahT Offline

Loc: UK
Plwatcher:

You probably know most of know this already…

Prelude: Accent 1st and 3rd beat of the bar; alternate each bar by playing one bar strong and the other weak; try not to move your arms up and down; creative use of rubato post bar 24; in getting it faster, practise the quavers as dotted quaver to semi-quaver, then vice versa - that way then you've practised all the quavers as semi-quavers, read 8ude’s post about opening tempo; and in the ‘Adagio’ bar, mark in your script where the beats are supposed to occur.

Take note (not that it makes much difference):THERE ARE 7 HEMI-DEMI-SEMI QUAVERS IN THE SPACE OF 8 HEMI-DEMI-SEMI QUAVERS! - bar 34 (My teacher pointed this out the other day!)

Fugue: Heavily accent the entrance of the theme whenever it occurs in the piece; stress the parts that go ‘tone - semi-tone down – semi-tone up’; from bar 22 dynamically mimic the movement of the scales (i.e. scale goes up, dynamics get louder) but at the same time increase the general dynamics until the theme is once again reached (BUILD UP THE TENSION BUT DO NOT SPEED UP); once the theme is reached play it in a terrible and tumultuous fff (I don’t, but if you want, play the final theme in octaves as stated in the Czerny version) and powerfully thrust the titanic C chord down that is capable of ringing until the end – then in massive contrast, play the final 2 and a half bars a very, very timid piano, as if to resolve the tension…. If Bach wanted a loud ending, he would have ended it at the C chord.

Fnork: an impressive recording!

#354512 - 11/03/04 04:41 PM Re: WTC P&F No 2 in C minor
Plwatcher Offline

Whoa, I will accent the 1st and 3rd as opposed to just the 1st and 4th, which is what I was doing. Also I will ask a stupid question ...

can you elaborate on quavers == ??????

#354513 - 11/03/04 05:56 PM Re: WTC P&F No 2 in C minor
HannahT Offline

Lol.

Quavers are also known as half-notes.

I'm not sure, was that what you were reffering to Plwatcher?

#354514 - 11/03/04 06:03 PM Re: WTC P&F No 2 in C minor
Plwatcher Offline

Yup yup! I feel like a dunce! thanks HannahT ~

#354515 - 11/03/04 06:05 PM Re: WTC P&F No 2 in C minor
HannahT Offline

LOL! \:\)

#354516 - 11/03/04 07:33 PM Re: WTC P&F No 2 in C minor
signa Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Prelude: Accent 1st and 3rd beat of the bar; alternate each bar by playing one bar strong and the other weak; try not to move your arms up and down; creative use of rubato post bar 24; in getting it faster, practise the quavers as dotted quaver to semi-quaver, then vice versa - that way then you've practised all the quavers as semi-quavers, read 8ude’s post about opening tempo; and in the ‘Adagio’ bar, mark in your script where the beats are supposed to occur.
HannahT, i don't understand why we have to play one bar strong one bar weak, which makes no sense to me. i remember i might have heard someone playing it like that but felt very uncomfortable about it. i always assume this prelude should be played like relentless fast moving flow with even dynamic and yet always with sort of furious tension. well, i am not an expert on Bach, but for this prelude i always have a particular sound image of it and always want to play like that (unfortunately i learned only 1/3 of it and stopped some time ago).

#354517 - 11/03/04 09:18 PM Re: WTC P&F No 2 in C minor
Plwatcher Offline

Well I really want to MASTER this Prelude to some extent, being that it is one of my many audition pieces. I had the other Prelude from WTC Book#2 in C-minor but I wanted to learn a new one. And I knew #24 in the 2nd book, but once again a new one...

#354518 - 11/03/04 10:29 PM Re: WTC P&F No 2 in C minor
signa Offline
8000 Post Club Member

what coincident, Plwatcher, i learned part of no.24 prelude of WTC2 as well, but sadly never finished it just like the no.2 prelude you are talking about. they both are quite beautiful.

#354519 - 11/04/04 07:18 PM Re: WTC P&F No 2 in C minor
Plwatcher Offline

yes they are both beyond beautiful signa. I hate never completing pieces. I have started so many and not completed them.

To complete = perform in this case or at least be able to have them at performance level.

#354520 - 11/04/04 09:02 PM Re: WTC P&F No 2 in C minor
signa Offline
8000 Post Club Member

very true, Plwatcher. i learned almost 1st page of no.24 prelude a couple years ago maybe, when i was technically not quite up to the task and had to give it up. now, i feel technically better and yet i have no time getting back to those preludes because i too have many pieces started and never have quite completed (except fur elise). besides, i keep adding something i really want to play at the moment, like tempest's 3rd mvmt. i wish i have more time but have to work and can only focus on 1 or 2 pieces at a time.

of all WTC preludes, i also like no.2,6 of both book 1& 2. i actually completed no.20 prelude of book 1, but now i have forgot it and have to relean it if i want to get it back.

#354521 - 11/05/04 06:28 AM Re: WTC P&F No 2 in C minor
Plwatcher Offline

Whoa! Thats great Signa..... Im a Senior, and am debating Majoring in Music... I really want to double major, b/c my intent is not to become a world renown pianist, but I truly enjoy playing. Its more of a soul thing, than out of monies. + my technique still is not where I want it to be, but has grown by leaps and bounds. AS of now I am continuing on work on prelude #2 in c-minor. I am somewhat finished with the work. Although I must get the fingering down for the PRESTO section and also become more comfortable with the piece. Around Monday I will start the FUGUE!

The third movement of the Tempest, is not ESPECIALLY difficult, at least in the beginning. But
A. It is played soooooooo fast
B. Fingering is crucial
C. Bringing out the theme over the LOUD left hand can prove difficult

#354522 - 11/05/04 08:46 AM Re: WTC P&F No 2 in C minor
signa Offline
8000 Post Club Member

thanks for the tips on tempest. i love playing this piece. i am on the 2nd page of the 3rd movement now and almost get to the end of the page now, but have to work on HT on the few bars. i am sure i'd complete the 2nd page this weekend. i like it played fast also, but have to watch out the eveness.

it might be a good idea for you to get double major. i wish i had such opportunity like that before but it is too late now, but i only play for my own pleasure. prelude no.2 is great and i am definitely going to learn it soon after i get some pieces done. i do like no.2 fugue, and i would work on both hopefully next month or next year...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
90 registered (AZNpiano, AZ_Astro, 27 invisible), 1065 Guests and 23 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76042 Members
42 Forums
157227 Topics
2309224 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
"railroad track" symbol in Debussy
by Eric NYC
09/02/14 02:52 AM
P155 or FA-08
by Yussnan84
09/02/14 01:59 AM
Blac
by Aviram
09/01/14 11:56 PM
Blackbird - Piano Cover - The Beatles
by Aviram
09/01/14 11:49 PM
Kawai CA95 Recordings
by wolferblade
09/01/14 11:32 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission