2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
25 members (brennbaer, AlkansBookcase, cmoody31, dh371, 20/20 Vision, admodios, clothearednincompo, crab89, 6 invisible), 1,222 guests, and 307 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#355990 10/25/02 05:27 AM
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Can anybody tell me the basic ways I can play a melody whith chords or arpeggio (like for guitar folk songs) starting from the melody and perhaps the chords names (like in the fake books).

I have a real book of folk songs but the other voices are a bit too complex. There must be standart simple formulas that will give a pleasant result.

The best thing would be a progression of formulas from very simple (just playing the chord in the root form, then with inversions, then simple arpeggios...).

If there is a web site or a book for dummies, I would be very happy.
You can also mail me some examples if you wish.

I think if it simple and progressive, I can transfer it to any song or even melody that I like.
Unfortunately the harmony books I have are extremely "intellectual". It is like it was shameful just to do simple things and be happy whith it for the moment.
I just want to sing my favourite songs with my children : folk songs, carols, Dylan, Cohen, Beatles, etc.

Thank you for your help.

Benedict
#355991 10/27/02 05:21 AM
T
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
T
The way I started, and the way many people start is to memorise each chord position in the twelve keys by going around the key circle. For example take the major chord plus octave C,E,G,C and learn it in all keys by playing it around the key circle in C,F,Bb,Eb,Ab,Db,Gb,B,E,A,D,G. Then do the same thing with the other two inversions (E,G,C,E), (G,C,E,G) then the minor chords, then any other chords you want to learn.

I don't know what styles you want to play, but if you want to play tunes in, say ,stride or swing, then use the same procedure with left hand basses. The method can be applied to whatever way you want to play your chords. The object is to become so familiar with all common chord types in all twelve keys to the point where the response is automatic.

If you just intend playing single note melodies in the right hand accompanied by simple chords in the left, then just do this procedure for whatever chords you intend using, maybe just left hand triads.

Practising the chords in this way won't predispose to favouring particular keys and after a while you should be able to play any given chord instantly without having to work out its position.

If you can visualise the keyboard you'll find that much of this sort of practice and chord learning can be done mentally away from the piano.

"Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law" - Aleister Crowley
#355992 10/28/02 04:20 PM
K
K
Supporting what Ted2 suggests, here is a chart that may be of some help:

Circle of 5ths

If you dig Jazz visit
http://www.apassion4jazz.net

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,164
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission