2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
56 members (Aleks_MG, accordeur, brdwyguy, Carey, AlkansBookcase, 20/20 Vision, 36251, benkeys, 9 invisible), 2,042 guests, and 334 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
C
c v mom Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Does anyone have personal experience with, or know anything about, the following pianists? They are all taking master classes at the Mozarteum Summer Academy in Austria, and my daughter has to specify the ones with whom she would like to take classes. Any feedback would be much appreciated!! (I have googled them but don't know how to interpret the PR stuff.)

Sergei Dorensky
Andrzei Jasinski
Karl-Heinz Kammerling
Christoph Lieske
Pavel Gililov
Vassily Lobanov
Joseph Paratore
Sergio Perticaroli
Einar Steen-Nokleberg
Dmitri Bashkirov
Aquiles Delle-Vigne
Peter Feuchtwanger
Olivier Gardon
Robert Levin
Catherine Vickers
Frank Wibaut

Thanks in advance for any help you can give us.

Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Hello, again!

Is Allison going to Salzburg after all? Last I heard, that had fallen through.

Best regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Bashkirov and Bob Levin are both phenomenal.

koji (STSD)

"I'm a concert pianist--that's a pretentious way of saying I'm unemployed at the moment."--Oscar Levant

http://www.youtube.com/kojiattwood
https://www.giftedmusicschool.org/
A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A
I've heard live Bashkirov and Dorensky. Both are exceptional. In addition, both were well-known teachers before they left the former Soviet Russia.

Bashkirov's Scriabin Piano Concerto remains my pedestal version of this interesting but not much played short concerto.

C
c v mom Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Thanks for your responses. Yes, Bruce, the scholarship committee has decided to send Allie to Salzburg after all. So now she must prepare for an audition at the Mozarteum, where it will be decided whether she'll be an "active" or a "passive" master class participant. Either way, it will be a great experience.

She has heard good things about Bashkirov from a previous participant, also Steen-Nokleberg has been recommended. Anyway, thanks to all for the input, it is greatly appreciated.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I went to the Sommerakademie for 4 summers, 3 as a soloist and 1 with the duo.

I should first warn you that the level of musicians at the Academy has gotten quite low over the years, this is probably a reflection of the fact that they eventually figured out it was a good money making scheme and essentially began accepting virtually anyone who applied. You pay an exhorbitant amount to be there for 2 weeks so you can take 4 one-hour lessons. The Salzburg experience is wonderful, but you always have this nagging feeling that you are getting majorly ripped off.

That being said, if you take the time to sit in all the classes an visit other teacher's classes you can learn quite a bit. Problem is that you never know what people will be playing so it is a little hit and miss if you want to attend classes with repertoire you play yourself.

I studied the first 2 years with Delle-Vigne, an Argentinian and a student of Arrau's (who isnt?). His manner is very endearing and if you are a hard worker and dedicated pianist he can be very reassuring. He has some great ideas and others which are simply wacky. He is good for interpretation and some practicing technique, his biggest strengths being Chopin and Liszt. Most of his students tend to be Spanish-speakers and Italians, a very fun studio to be in and a good teacher for a short while. There are many things I learned from him, especially with regards to practicing tricks and my approach to Chopin and Liszt.

The third year I studied with Jasinski, who was Kristian Zimmerman's one and only teacher. He is very soft spoken and fragile. Does not work on technique at all, but focuses on clarity of sound. Every note, every chord, every run has got to have the most perfect touch and color. He is truly amazing for this and most of his students respond well, muddled pieces becoming crystal clear. It affects how you think about sound, and layers and melody vs harmony.

I attended several of the masterclasses given by Bashkirov. The guy is a steam locomotive in constant motion. You have to be very sure of yourself to play for him as he is very direct, very honest, and very loud, and has no problem telling you that everything you are doing is wrong! He is quite a character, I actually was laughing to myself throughout his lessons even though some of the students there seemed terrified of him. He knows this and loves it! He gets along better with the ones who don't take his manner quite so seriously. He is a great teacher. He teaches here in Spain at the Reina Sofia Institue (music conservatory). All his regular students are fabulous pianists and frequently win competitions.

Dorenski's students were very happy with him though I never went to any of his classes.

If she goes, make sure she already has pieces prepared for performance as soon as she arrives because the first week student concerts are always open and the second week it is impossible to get a slot in any of them because everyone wants to play the second week after working with the teachers. She should ask the teacher if she can play in a concert, not wait for them to suggest it as some teachers are flaky and forget they are supposed to sign their good students for the concerts.

The piano and the accoustics in the Wiener Saal suck. Be prepared for that and just work with what you are given, don't expect perfection if you perform there, only so much you can do with bad tools.

She should rent a bike for the time she is there. It is a great way to get around Salzburg and it is just so gorgeous to ride along the Salzag River.

Stay at the Mozarteum official dorm. It is about a 15 minute cycle from the Mozarteum and is in a beautiful spot, the residence is actually the front of the Von Trapp house in the movie The Sound of Music. It is part of a park where you can cycle and jog and there are gardens and just down the lane the historic residence of a bishop I think it was who had a great sense of humor and his garden was one big water park where he played pranks on his guests. Just beautiful.

If she stays in these dorms there are pianos available free of charge in a contiguous building though obviously it is quite a battle to find one available during the daytime. Early morning practice is the best shot.

Hope this helps!

Elena
http://www.pianofourhands.com

Schnabel's advie to Horowitz: "When a piece gets difficult, make faces."
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I wanted to avoid saying anything negative about Kammerling and Austrians in general, nice to see someone else shares my views, heh. At one point, I couldn't resist making a sarcastic comment about how much more appreciated Mozart was in Prague and how he should have actually settled there instead of delighting in the amazing taste and culture of the exalted viennese.

koji (STSD)

"I'm a concert pianist--that's a pretentious way of saying I'm unemployed at the moment."--Oscar Levant

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Koji that is very smart and dipomatic of you! I have gotten into trouble more than once for blabbing away everything I think. I obviously don't learn!

I have several Austrian friends who are lovely, they are from small towns. The ones in Vienna and Salzbueg are the nastiest, curtest, coldest, racist, must unhelpful people I have ever met who only talk to you to tell you when you are doing something wrong. No wonder the Nazis did so well there. Which, by the way, is a subject that should NEVER be discussed in Austria. They are in complete denial about their past. According to them they were "occupied" by force and the Nazis did terrible things to the country...suuure...

Elena

C
c v mom Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Elena, thank you so much for response. This is invaluable information and exactly the kind of thing Allie needs to know. She will be so grateful.

Koji, thanks for your input too. (As Elena noted, you are very smart and diplomatic!)

Regards
Dale

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
If she stays at the Mozarteum residence, make sure she takes mosquito repellent! Last time I was there, there were no screens on the windows and there are two ponds nearby which are mosquito maternity wards. To sleep I would have to stay completely under my sheet leaving only my fingers out grabbing the sheet tight. In the morning I would have a mosquito bite on every finger.

They may have advanced to screens on windows since then, though. That was in '97.

Elena

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Regarding the dear Viennese/Salzburgers, Dubal put it best: "Still waiting for their beloved Emperor Joseph to one day magically re-appear!"

LOL.

koji (STSD)

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member

C
c v mom Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Elena, if you're out there, just one more question... Is the language of instruction in the master classes generally English, or does it depend upon the teachers?

Thanks again for your candid comments...

Cheers!
Dale

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
The brochure they send usually states the languages the teachers speak. If a teacher speaks the language of the student (say German or Spanish) they will teach that particular student in that language, sometimes translating into English for the benefit of the class. Pretty much everyone speaks English though, so I don't think it should be a concern.

Elena

C
c v mom Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Thanks Elena, your help has been invaluable. Many thanks.

Dale

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Your welcome. Update us at the end of her session there to see how it went!

Feel free to PM me or email me if you have any more questions.

Elena

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,293
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission