2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
57 members (accordeur, brdwyguy, Carey, AlkansBookcase, 20/20 Vision, Charles Cohen, 36251, benkeys, bcalvanese, 6 invisible), 1,897 guests, and 286 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
J
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
J
This is quite interesting. I was playing the piano the other day while my little niece was toddling around. She just turned 1 last month.

Anyway as I was playing she crawled over to the doorway and stood there and watched me with great interest. When I finished, I picked her up and sat the piano with her.[1] She didn't bang on the piano, but took her left index finger and played only one note at a time. I then showed her a scale, and she tried to move her fingers the same way! She kept curling her fingers and everything. I tried playing along with her, and she kept pushing my hand away! While she played, she kept looking back at me for approval like she was trying to learn to play the piano.

After she played at the piano, I brought her over to the clavichord, which is a lot softer. She looked up at me and smiled then took her left hand again, and pressed only an F-sharp very gently and looked inside at the action. She then played a few other notes the same way.

Just for kicks, when my mom came in, she had me play the piano again for Alyson. I played some of Mozart's K.333 sonata, and she let out with the biggest grin I've seen.

So what do you think? She's already starting to talk too at this age.

John

[1] She's the only child I've ever let play the piano. All other visiting suction cups with sticky goo aren't allowed in the room.

Current works in progress:

Beethoven Sonata Op. 10 No. 2 in F, Haydn Sonata Hoboken XVI:41, Bach French Suite No. 5 in G BWV 816

Current instruments: Schimmel-Vogel 177T grand, Roland LX-17 digital, and John Lyon unfretted Saxon clavichord.
C
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
C
She's a smart one. Whatever you do, do not abuse this.

"I was obliged to be industrious. Whoever is equally industrious will succeed equally well."

J.S. Bach
G
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
G
I think it is absolutely wonderful. She responds to music, and is curious. She sounds like an adorable young child. Let us hope that she continues her interest in sounds---particularly the sounds of music. She may well become a pianist in later life. Gaby tu

J
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
J
Originally posted by Cheeto717:
She's a smart one. Whatever you do, do not abuse this.
Absolutely! Right now I'm just letting her absorb the sounds of the instruments and enjoy them. I also showed her my Italian virginal, but she didn't like it, and went back over to the clavichord again. She really is smart.

Gaby, I was thinking the same thing. Let's hope she continues with this and later on and is interested in music.

John

Beethoven Sonata Op. 10 No. 2 in F, Haydn Sonata Hoboken XVI:41, Bach French Suite No. 5 in G BWV 816

Current instruments: Schimmel-Vogel 177T grand, Roland LX-17 digital, and John Lyon unfretted Saxon clavichord.
I also have a neice who did something very simular to what you described. She is a little older and now most of the time just wants to bang on the piano a bit.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I'd say the talent scouts from Julliard are lurking around your door with scholarships in hand.

Tomasino

"Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do so with all thy might." Ecclesiastes 9:10

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I'm going to sound a note of caution and say that you should make sure you don't view this and similar incidents with rose-coloured glasses. It's all too easy to be enchanted/amazed/whatever at the darndest things young children do, and think they'll be the greatest [whatever] when they're older. But kids are naturally curious and pick things up like a sponge when they are young, and are also easily amused/impressed. My niece displayed a similar amusement at my piano playing when she was younger but nothing particular came of it.
See how this develops, but don't push.

Die Krebs gehn zurucke,
Die Stockfisch bleiben dicke,
Die Karpfen viel fressen,
Die Predigt vergessen.

Die Predigt hat g'fallen.
Sie bleiben wie alle.
P
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
P
that's adorable, a little child who can love music like this at that age is a treasure, let her carry on absorbing more of it and you won't know what could happen.

I have met/known a few little kids like that, some of them, their interest was crushed by the parents' pressure, some of them really love it.

My mom exposed music in the same way to me and up to now I still love it.

Mastering:Chopin Etudes op.10 nos.8&12 and op.25 no.1, Chopin Scherzo no.4 in E major op.54, Mozart Sonata in B flat major K.333& Khachaturian Toccata
J
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
J
I haven't pushed her at all at this, but yesterday she crawled over to the music room door, and reached for the knob. She looked at me to let her in the room, but I couldn't because I was going out. She knows what's in the room there, and wanted to go in again and play.

When she's alone, she sings little songs based on the few words that she speaking like dada, mumma, hi, kitty, etc.

I spoke with my piano teacher friend about this, and she said she was like this when she was young.

Interesting... I'll keep everyone posted on the outcome as this progresses.

John

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
John Citron, what a sweet little girl, just try to keep your little special musical friendship !

My daughter was also very interested in the piano at that age and used to sit on my lap plying one key at a time with her fingers. She also loved when I guided her 2nd finger to play a simple childrens song together with singing.

My daughter is 14 now, and she was never a prodigy, she refused to have piano lessons till she was 9, but she has always kept this self-drive in music.
I never need to tell her to practice and she's now playing keyboard in a band and learning to play the church organ.

Ragnhild

Trying to play the piano:
http://www.box.net/public/dbr23ll03e

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,293
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission