Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
124 registered (Abby Pianoman, ando, Anita Potter, 36251, anamnesis, 32 invisible), 1485 Guests and 18 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Topic Options
#357468 - 12/04/01 10:07 AM Poll: What are you going to play for the holidays?
AnneH Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
I am not sure how many of you are working on pieces for the holidays, but as I sit still trying to figure out just what it is I am playing for the family "program". The event consists of 3 generations of pianists ranging from age 12 to 72 (I'm the one in the middle LOL). I wondered what eveyone else here was planning, if anything?

The 12 year old is in charge of the program this year and all I know at this moment is that she and I will play a duet of some sort....it will be Christmas music but beyond that who knows... :rolleyes:

Let's have some fun and get some inspiration!

Anne

Ad 800 (Pearl River)
Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano
#357469 - 12/04/01 02:10 PM Re: Poll: What are you going to play for the holidays?
Penny Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: San Juan Capistrano, CA
Just the standard fare. The husband and son have only been playing since March, so nothing too complicated. The son's playing "We Wish you a Merry Christmas" and a real cute version of "Jingle Bells" with lots of grace notes. The husband is playing "What Child is This" (it that what "Greensleeves" is called?) and "Silent Night." I haven't really learned a Christmas song, though I did recently learn the Thomas Jefferson version of "Amazing Grace" (it's real gospel-y sounding).

I do have a question to which someone out there may know the answer. My son is also learning as sort of a present to me, "The First Noel," my favorite carol. It's from a book called, "Just for Kids Not! Christmas Carols," which include duets. Well, the bass part of the duet for "The First Noel," like the treble (simpler) part, is in 3/4 time. But there are a couple of measures where the notes add up to 4 and a half counts! This is so weird. Even the piano teacher can't figure it out. Anyone ever seen this particular version? This was supposed to be our big project together for the holidays, but I'm afraid I won't be able to hold up my end of the bargain.

penny

#357470 - 12/04/01 03:30 PM Re: Poll: What are you going to play for the holidays?
MacDuff Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Southeast, U.S.A.
I have a standing repertory of not-specifically-Christmas pieces that people seem to like to hear before I'm obliged to play for carol singing. These are fairly short, festive selections that tend to work well on out-of-tune spinet and console pianos. (I revive a couple of works from the list every year and only play one "recital piece" before the carols at any particular party or gathering.)

Bach: Concerto in the Italian Style (1st mvt.), B.W.V. 971

Haydn: Sonata in G Major (3rd mvt.), Hob. XVI/39;
Fantasia (Capriccio) in C Major, Hob. XVII/4

Mozart: Sonata in C Major (3rd mvt.), K. 279;
Sonata in D Major (1st mvt.), K. 284

For adult group singing, you have to be careful about finding arrangements that are not too high. This usually means the melody hovers around the middle of the keyboard. It helps to make up carol text handout sheets and make people stick to the provided selections, or you get into the endless request bit.

[ December 04, 2001: Message edited by: MacDuff ]

#357471 - 12/04/01 03:50 PM Re: Poll: What are you going to play for the holidays?
Amy Offline

Loc: Upstate New York
I always find it fun to get a Christmas fake book and play carols in the jazz style

#357472 - 12/04/01 08:05 PM Re: Poll: What are you going to play for the holidays?
SethW Offline

I might start to work on some christmas pieces. As of now, they are fairly difficult pieces. (Well, I'm no virtuoso at the harmonica...yet ;\) .)

[ December 04, 2001: Message edited by: SethW ]

#357473 - 12/05/01 02:24 PM Re: Poll: What are you going to play for the holidays?
decibel101 Offline

Loc: Manhattan
seeing as i've only been playing for a few months now...

I think I'll be playing Blow the man down, and Cafe Vienna

=) lol

all in good time

#357474 - 12/05/01 06:31 PM Re: Poll: What are you going to play for the holidays?
Bernard Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: North Groton, NH
I found a wonderful book called "Advanced Carol Book" which was published by Thomas Music Company, Publishers and it has really fun arrangements of many Christmas standards. I'm currently working on "Jingle Bells".

From the back cover: "Eight Christmas-time songs in beautifully styled "filled-in" arrangements with scales, arpeggios, broken chords, etc."

#357475 - 12/05/01 06:52 PM Re: Poll: What are you going to play for the holidays?
Penny Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: San Juan Capistrano, CA
Ok, what's the emoticon for blushing? I'll use this one! \:o I figured out my timing problem with The First Noel Duet. Shows you I've never done duets! But the left and right hands are on the same staff, so you just hold a note with the left and play the rest of the notes with the right. It looks like more than three beats, but it's not! Duh!

penny

#357476 - 12/06/01 08:41 AM Re: Poll: What are you going to play for the holidays?
Ruth Offline

Loc: Germany
Well, since I like Schuhmann a lot, I am refreshing some of the pieces from the "Album for the Young": Winterzeit (Wintertime) which really gives you a feeling of a snow covered, icy landscape and distant churchbells (which we obviously do not have at the moment) and "Knecht Ruprecht" of course (Today's piece, since the 6th of December is St.Nicolas day).
Additionally some of Mozart's variations on "Ah vous dirais-je, maman" which is at the same time the melody of a traditional christmas song. Charlie Brown's "Christmas Time is here" \:\)
Whish you all happy practising!

Ruth

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!

Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Neo-soul keys on Steinberg's half-price sale
by dire tonic
11/28/14 09:13 AM
Bob Marley - Is this love piano cover
by Danijelcro
11/28/14 07:28 AM
android - QWERTY bluetooth keyboard as a midi piano
by mathy10544
11/28/14 06:30 AM
Black Friday is here - Seen any deals?
by MeghanM
11/28/14 01:16 AM
MIDI in on a Kawai VPC-1...
by pocoapoco
11/28/14 12:35 AM
Forum Stats
77074 Members
42 Forums
159414 Topics
2341756 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission