2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
30 members (Animisha, brennbaer, Cominut, crab89, aphexdisklavier, fullerphoto, admodios, busa, drumour, Foxtrot3, 4 invisible), 1,182 guests, and 269 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#360072 04/28/03 06:59 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Hi! Intrigued by the subject?

Well, here goes.

I have a teacher, a great teacher. With that said, I'm still not sure exactly how to approach a piece. As you may have read in my Technique thread, I'm obsessed with etudes. Finally going to start with the Chopin etudes now.

Let's take the Op. 10 no. 1 and 2 ones as examples. (The ones I'm starting on today). How exactly would I approach these? A general idea I have is learn them as quickly as possible and then just keep playing them slowly and gradually increase tempo. In other words, after 2 weeks or so when I learn 2 (2 at a time?) I will start two new ones even though I'm not up to speed with the others, but still play the others several times a day... if you know what I mean.

Any ideas on how to approach them in general would be warmly accepted, but even better, how to approach the Op. 10 no. 1 and 2 etudes.

Thanks,

B-

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
I have a teacher, a great teacher. With that said, I'm still not sure exactly how to approach a piece.
BeePhlatMinor, I must have missed some other posts of yours but I do not see how these two sentences go together.

"Hunger for growth will come to you in the form of a problem." -- unknown
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
The best person to provide guidance on how to approach learning a piece is your teacher. Since you have a great one, you should be in good hands.
That said, learning the Chopin etudes in order - i.e. op10#1, then op10#2, then #3, etc. - does not make much sense. Some of the etudes are much more difficult than others. Op. 10 nos 1 and 2 are by no means the easiest ones. I would discuss with your teacher which ones might be the most appropriate for you to work on at your current level.
Also, and I know you did not exactly say this, the object is not to learn them quickly. The idea is to solve the technical problems the pieces present, which can take a long time. When I hear a beautiful performance of one of the Etudes - or any other piece for that matter - I could care less how long it took the performer to learn it.

P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
I would start with Op. 10 no 3, and move through the 'easier' etudes, defintely, with maybe Op. 25 No. 7 next. No question about it, if you're really serious about learning all of them.

Peter

D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
Hahaha, the biggest challenge any pianist, and I mean ANY, can face is to play op.10 1/2, these are the most horrific problems a pianist can confront him/herself with, especially when having to play them the one after the other, op.10/1 stretches your r.h. to the limits, op.10/2 causes your r.h.'s 345 fingers to such an extend that they'll need at least a month's holiday on the Bahama's, this is only stuff for grown-ups, category don't try this at home..

Longtemps, je me suis couché de bonne heure, but not anymore!
K
K
if you think you can learn ANY chopin etude in 2 weeks (AND THOSE 2 ARE THE HARDEST) you are either (a) so good that you should have no problem coming up with a strategy to learn them, or (b) VERY naive... go play some mozart man

Chopin Ballade 1 (round 3)
Chopin 25.12
Debussy: Estampes

My Recodrings
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by dolce sfogato
op.10/1 stretches your r.h. to the limits,
does not

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by keyboardklutz
does not

Well...it shouldn't

"And if we look at the works of J.S. Bach — a benevolent god to which all musicians should offer a prayer to defend themselves against mediocrity... -Debussy

"It's ok if you disagree with me. I can't force you to be right."

♪ ≠ $

Some people prefer a methodical way of working through repertoire, others do not. I don't really think this is a question that others can answer for you.

"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed
A
A
Originally Posted by Kreisler
Some people prefer a methodical way of working through repertoire, others do not. I don't really think this is a question that others can answer for you.

What are your recommendations for methodically working through the repertoire at the appropriate level for the student?

I am an intermediate piano student who just finished up the 4th year of piano lessons. My teacher is using the Keith Snell graded repertoire books and I will start the 4th level starting with my summer lessons. We have also supplemented this series with books focusing on single composers such as Bach and Mozart that contain graded pieces that start with intermediate level and finish at late intermediate/early advanced pieces.

How would you use single composer volumes to construct a methodical approach where what you learn by studying one particular composer will develop an understanding of a later composer's work and the influences on his/her and so on?

Or how studying Composer A will be beneficial in learning to Play Composer B etc.

Sauter 122 Masterclass (M-Line)
S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
I would actually recommend you begin on 10-3 or 10-5...you can't approach all of the etudes the exact same way, it really depends... for 10-5, 10-12, or 25-11 for example, go hands separately, for 10-3, 10-1, or 25-12, though, go both hands extremely slowly...it mostly depends on where the melody is. for just about any technically challenging piece (especially fast ones), a general rule is to be able to play it from start to finish slowly and with few mistakes, and THEN speed up.

Working On-

Deux Arabesques, Debussy

On Queue-

Danse Russe from Petroushka, Stravinsky
Toccata, Ravel

D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by stores
does not
are you some kind of Behemoth?

Well...it shouldn't
it just does, and that is no problem at all, it is it's purpose!

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
It doesn't stretch my hand to the limit and I don't have big hands.

"And if we look at the works of J.S. Bach — a benevolent god to which all musicians should offer a prayer to defend themselves against mediocrity... -Debussy

"It's ok if you disagree with me. I can't force you to be right."

♪ ≠ $

D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
i've never played a piece that just keeps the hand stretching for a tenth that often, and I play this one daily, I use it even as an encore, but seriously, this is the
ETUDE of all études, it's really doing something for, well, stretching/make elastic/train/work out/whatever the right hand!

Originally Posted by stores
does not
are you some kind of Behemoth?

Well...it shouldn't
it just does, and that is no problem at all, it is it's purpose!
Here is one of Chopin's pupils - "I am quite aware that it is a generally prevalent error, even in our day, that one can only play this study well when one possesses a very large hand. But this is not the case, only a supple hand is required." i.e. there is no stretch! Do so and you'll end up at a clinic. Here's an interesting thread (of many):
http://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/1277916/1.html

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Golly! Anyone notice that this thread is all of 7 years old?

Close only counts in horseshoes, hand grenades, and nuclear weapons.
W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by Horowitzian
Golly! Anyone notice that this thread is all of 7 years old?

Not only that, it was fairly lame even when fresh, and it hasn't improved with age.

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,179
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission