2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
65 members (Animisha, Barly, bobrunyan, brennbaer, 1200s, 36251, benkeys, 20/20 Vision, 10 invisible), 1,863 guests, and 319 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#362899 10/31/01 01:28 AM
B
OP Offline
B
Can any expert out there tell me what style defines as? Alot of people say to me you must develop a style normally after 7 years a musician has developed it. Well how can I go about developing a style...does it happen by the kinds of chords I select to play a piece by,etc.

#362900 11/01/01 09:50 PM
S
S
I do not want to really give a definition of style. I would suggest not to concentrate on building a specific style. A *personal* style is grown, so style is not something you can practice untill you learn it. Style is something that comes to you after a while. And the truth of the subject is, everyone has some of their own style no matter how small it may appear. Also, a good portion of similar level pianists are not a whole lot *noticeably* different to the extreme that the average person would really recongnize it. That said, style can be a lot of things to a lot of people. Style could be the kind of way you go about intrepreting a piece. Style can be created by your pianistic background. For instance, I play Jazz as well as classical, thus I like to improvise. Style can be the way you actually play. Some pianists sit at the piano like rocks others will "move" with the music. Style could be the way you approach an old piece as you gain more musical maturity. Style is something that comes to you. Once you become proficient at the piano you will began to prefer playing things a certain way. And even if you are proficient, but cannot point to something and say that is my style... don't worry, some times style can be very subtle. But it is their. I cannot really analyze my style either, it is just how I play.

[ November 01, 2001: Message edited by: SethW ]

#362901 11/02/01 12:17 AM
B
OP Offline
B
By golly, I think I got it!...its how one plays a piece or something. I play and do my own thing when I see sheet music...like , for instance, I may hit one or some of the chords {bass 2 times or one octave apart...I do alot of ad libing when..the sheet music sounds a little dry..like the writer need some help....some of the chords my sound not right {nasty hearing} so I put my own chords there. I will play the important ones. I will add and subract alot of chords. Thanks alot null

#362902 11/02/01 11:37 PM
B
B
What is style: I have my own ideas. The notes you add lib may be part of style. It's not just the notes though. It's also the tone of those notes - more singing, more harsh; the balance of one hand to the other and of the notes within a chord, the shape of the phrases, the fluidity of the legato, the crispness of the stacato, the amount of lift between phrases, the match of the dynamics from one phrase to the next. Style is not static, it develops and changes. It adjusts to the type of piece you are playing. It can even vary with your mood. It's everything you do with your fingers and hands and arms to put your heart into a piece. That's what I think style is.

#362903 11/03/01 04:52 PM
B
OP Offline
B
Thanks...ok..its the way we play..thats style.

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,194
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission