Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#363738 - 09/07/05 11:25 AM Re: Proof that classical music is superior to every other genre
Siddhartha Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Cleveland, Ohio
 Quote:
Originally posted by snap_apple:
I have a question for you though...do you really think music has to be beautiful to be good. That is what I am infering from your statement

"I rate good music based on it's beauty"

That tells me that if a piece is ugly in anyway or unbeautiful that it isn't as good or inspirational in your book.

But is that what music is about. I sometimes need ugly music...that's why I like Prokofiev or Ligeti or heavy metal. Cause it's dirty, it's raw it's harsh it's angry...and thats life. I like some music that is sad, quirky, reptitive, funny, relaxed...cause that's life.

Imperfections is life...imperfections can be the best things in the world. Uglieness is a part of life. To me much of great art deals with the agitation of life and it's biting imperfections.

So why must it be beautiful to be good? [/b]
Very interesting points. I once heard a modeling professional say that one of the special qualities of a supermodel is to be almost ugly. A perfect face is uninteresting, but some quirk or idiosyncracy that borders on ugly can transform a woman into an exotic beauty. Cindy Crawford's mole I believe was offered as an example. Without her mole, she would be nobody.

I battled with this issue of beauty in music extensively when i was in music school, at a school where "new music" was highly celebrated. All these hideous concoctions of theory tricks and self proclaimed clever novelties in composition that just sound like cr@p. It always seemed to me that people respond to music at the gut level, and these pieces try to appeal to the intellect. Maybe very interesting amongst the composers themselves, but to a general audience, PEW!! Maybe 'beauty' isnt the requisite quality I'm looking for, but how about "aesthetic appeal"? Prokofiev certainly has that.

Ad 800 (Pearl River)
Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano
#363739 - 09/07/05 12:15 PM Re: Proof that classical music is superior to every other genre
Steve Chandler Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Urbandale, Iowa
 Quote:
Originally posted by Siddhartha:
Very interesting points. I once heard a modeling professional say that one of the special qualities of a supermodel is to be almost ugly. A perfect face is uninteresting, but some quirk or idiosyncracy that borders on ugly can transform a woman into an exotic beauty. Cindy Crawford's mole I believe was offered as an example. Without her mole, she would be nobody.

I battled with this issue of beauty in music extensively when i was in music school, at a school where "new music" was highly celebrated. All these hideous concoctions of theory tricks and self proclaimed clever novelties in composition that just sound like cr@p. It always seemed to me that people respond to music at the gut level, and these pieces try to appeal to the intellect. Maybe very interesting amongst the composers themselves, but to a general audience, PEW!! Maybe 'beauty' isnt the requisite quality I'm looking for, but how about "aesthetic appeal"? Prokofiev certainly has that. [/QB]
This is the first interesting post (to me) in this thread. One of the things I dislike in much modern music is unrelenting dissonance. Don't get me wrong I love modern music, heck I compose modern music, but when it's uniformly highly dissonant it has no perspective. Dissonance is like hot peppers, a little all the time is great, a lot in spots is great, but a lot all the time is torture. Conversely, consonance (beauty) all the time is equally boring. Mix your consonance and dissonance in an intellectually challenging and dramatic way and (if done well) you get wonderful music. So like the supermodel who needs the spice of ugliness to stand out, music with the spice of dissonance can also stand out. But there is such a thing as too much.

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
126 registered (88 Fingers Jeff, accordeur, Abby Pianoman, 41 invisible), 1265 Guests and 13 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75968 Members
42 Forums
157099 Topics
2307186 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How much to Move a piano from Tucson, AZ, to New York?
by Paul678
28 minutes 37 seconds ago
The Mooozart Effect
by Rich Galassini
Today at 06:13 PM
What would you do in this situation?
by CountSmith
Today at 05:55 PM
An aural and visual demonstration of the Skeleton.
by Mark Cerisano, RPT
Today at 05:09 PM
tunelab update
by michaelopolis
Today at 04:40 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission