Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#363781 - 03/31/07 05:36 PM I'm going to Moscow!...edit....I'm back!!
PassionatePianist Offline

Loc: New Jersey
Hi everyone. I will be studying at the Moscow State Conservatory of Music this Fall as an exchange student. I've been trying to find out as much as I can about life in Moscow to make my 4 month stay easier.

I've never been to Russia and I'm wondering if anyone here has some good advice to give to me. Any helpful tips/pointers would be greatly appreciated. I want to be as prepared as possible so that the culture shock isn't a complete scare for me!

If anyone on this board has ever studied or stayed at this Conservatory, please share your experience. Thanks in advance.

(ad) Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#363782 - 03/31/07 05:59 PM Re: I'm going to Moscow!...edit....I'm back!!
Hayley Rae Offline

Loc: Somewhere
 Quote:
Originally posted by PassionatePianist:
Hi everyone. I will be studying at the Moscow State Conservatory of Music this Fall as an exchange student. I've been trying to find out as much as I can about life in Moscow to make my 4 month stay easier.

I've never been to Russia and I'm wondering if anyone here has some good advice to give to me. Any helpful tips/pointers would be greatly appreciated. I want to be as prepared as possible so that the culture shock isn't a complete scare for me!

If anyone on this board has ever studied or stayed at this Conservatory, please share your experience. Thanks in advance. [/b]
Sounds wonderful!

#363783 - 03/31/07 07:02 PM Re: I'm going to Moscow!...edit....I'm back!!
Bassio Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Alexandria, Egypt
Good luck! This conservatory graduated many masters.

#363784 - 03/31/07 07:22 PM Re: I'm going to Moscow!...edit....I'm back!!
Hayley Rae Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Bassio:
Good luck! This conservatory graduated many masters. [/b]
But don't let them turn you into a commie at the same time! \:D

#363785 - 03/31/07 07:37 PM Re: I'm going to Moscow!...edit....I'm back!!
BB Player Offline

Loc: Not in Texas
Hi passionatepianist!

Congratulations on your trip to Moscow! I've been a couple of times, enough to form brief impressions rather than enough to say I know a lot about it but, for what it's worth, here are some thoughts.

The people are amazingly friendly! I was there on business and the people I was meeting with did things that were so kind and thoughtful it was really touching. Yes, they wanted to make a good impression for business reasons but they went well beyond that. Also, the people on the street were generally very friendly. I don't think they see a whole lot of tourists so they've not become tired of being overrun and will go out of their way to give directions - I had someone walk 5 blocks out of their way to show me where something was!

Much of the city is really run down. Think Stalin era concrete and steel that hasn't aged well. It's one of the few places in the world where I truly wondered whether an elevator would get me to the next floor. Parts of the city are newer, primarily business/tourist areas but much of the rest is pretty old.

They really want hard currency (dollars). Waiters don't want a tip on a credit card, they'd rather have much less in cash.

In spite of the friendliness, I was always a little uneasy. I expect a lot of this is cold war baggage I carried with me but nevertheless...

The cultural opportunities in the city are amazing! The museums, the Bolshoi & Kirov, etc. I got to see Prokofiev's "For love of three oranges" and it was wonderful. The theater was threadbare (you could still see the hammer and sickle embroidered in the stage curtain) but it was packed, standing room only, and this was on a weeknight.

The muscovites love their vodka! Here are some facts: a population of 10 million drinks more than 20 million bottles per year. When you consider women don't drink vodka as much (usually wine) and the percentage that are children that's pretty high per capita consumption. Seeing people drunk on the street in the evenings is not uncommon.

Corruption is pretty rampant. I met with Putin's minister of trade and he asked me for a bribe (a "consideration") in a room full of people through a translator.

The last time I was there was in 2000 so it's possible that things have changed since then though, being Russia, I doubt it.

Hope this helps and good luck!

#363786 - 03/31/07 08:01 PM Re: I'm going to Moscow!...edit....I'm back!!
Hayley Rae Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by C7 Player:
Hi passionatepianist!

Congratulations on your trip to Moscow! I've been a couple of times, enough to form brief impressions rather than enough to say I know a lot about it but, for what it's worth, here are some thoughts.

The people are amazingly friendly! I was there on business and the people I was meeting with did things that were so kind and thoughtful it was really touching. Yes, they wanted to make a good impression for business reasons but they went well beyond that. Also, the people on the street were generally very friendly. I don't think they see a whole lot of tourists so they've not become tired of being overrun and will go out of their way to give directions - I had someone walk 5 blocks out of their way to show me where something was!

Much of the city is really run down. Think Stalin era concrete and steel that hasn't aged well. It's one of the few places in the world where I truly wondered whether an elevator would get me to the next floor. Parts of the city are newer, primarily business/tourist areas but much of the rest is pretty old.

They really want hard currency (dollars). Waiters don't want a tip on a credit card, they'd rather have much less in cash.

In spite of the friendliness, I was always a little uneasy. I expect a lot of this is cold war baggage I carried with me but nevertheless...

The cultural opportunities in the city are amazing! The museums, the Bolshoi & Kirov, etc. I got to see Prokofiev's "For love of three oranges" and it was wonderful. The theater was threadbare (you could still see the hammer and sickle embroidered in the stage curtain) but it was packed, standing room only, and this was on a weeknight.

The muscovites love their vodka! Here are some facts: a population of 10 million drinks more than 20 million bottles per year. When you consider women don't drink vodka as much (usually wine) and the percentage that are children that's pretty high per capita consumption. Seeing people drunk on the street in the evenings is not uncommon.

Corruption is pretty rampant. I met with Putin's minister of trade and he asked me for a bribe (a "consideration") in a room full of people through a translator.

The last time I was there was in 2000 so it's possible that things have changed since then though, being Russia, I doubt it.

Hope this helps and good luck! [/b]
Very interesting delineation of the city.

#363787 - 03/31/07 09:13 PM Re: I'm going to Moscow!...edit....I'm back!!
Liszt_BG Offline

Loc: Bulgaria
 Quote:
Originally posted by Hayley Rae:
But don't let them turn you into a commie at the same time! \:D [/b]
Haha very naive thinking there, Hayley ;\)

#363788 - 03/31/07 09:18 PM Re: I'm going to Moscow!...edit....I'm back!!
U S A P T Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: An Indiana University
Congratulations Passionate:

I envy you. Make the most of your time there and post now and then.
Steinway M
Roland Atelier AT90R
All Posts are Snarky Unless Otherwise Noted

#363789 - 03/31/07 09:29 PM Re: I'm going to Moscow!...edit....I'm back!!
argerichfan Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pacific Northwest, US.
 Quote:
Corruption is pretty rampant.
And that is not true of Washington DC? What else besides Big Business and their attendant lobbies set policy? You don't seriously think the voters have any influence there, do you?

Sorry. That touched a nerve.

#363790 - 03/31/07 09:38 PM Re: I'm going to Moscow!...edit....I'm back!!
Piano*Dad Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Williamsburg, VA
There is a difference between nations that have a functioning and independent judiciary and nations that don't. Despite the federal prosecutor flap, ours is still in the former category. Contract law still means something here and basic property rights are enforced. The closest analogy for Russia is Chicago in the twenties except that one of the gangs is the government.

Back on topic, I wonder what pianos are most common at the MSU conservatory. Belarus and older Estonias maybe? or have they been able to spring for better makes?
Grotrian 192 #156455

https://www.youtube.com/user/dhfeld/videos

#363791 - 03/31/07 10:06 PM Re: I'm going to Moscow!...edit....I'm back!!
argerichfan Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Piano*Dad:
There is a difference between nations that have a functioning and independent judiciary...
Independent of what? The US election of 2000 would seem to indicate otherwise.

But what the heck, let's just drop it. This is not a political forum, so back on topic my friends... ;\)

#363792 - 04/01/07 12:51 AM Re: I'm going to Moscow!...edit....I'm back!!
Solo Piano Offline

Loc: PA
I really don't know anything about Russia, but good luck in school there! Don't get homesick :p

Edward

#363793 - 04/01/07 12:52 AM Re: I'm going to Moscow!...edit....I'm back!!
Solo Piano Offline

Loc: PA
Edit: Oops, posted twice \:\(

#363794 - 04/01/07 09:05 AM Re: I'm going to Moscow!...edit....I'm back!!
LiszThalberg Offline
3000 Post Club Member

#363795 - 04/01/07 09:28 AM Re: I'm going to Moscow!...edit....I'm back!!
vippo Offline

Loc: Sterzing (Italy)
Congratulations, PassionatePianist, I'm sure it will be a unique and very rewarding experience!

I will go to visit my girlfriend, who is currently spending five months in Nizhnij Novgorod for an exchange semester, and I'll be visiting Moscow and St. Petersburg as well (packed schedule for 14 days, I know...)

From what my girlfriend told me (she has been to Moscow for close to five weeks in September 2005), she percieved the Moscovites to be rather unfriendly, in contrast to what C7player said... they have some sort of "I don't know you, I'll probably never see you again, so what reason do I have to be friendly?" attitude.

But she also said that once you get to know them even just a little bit, they are the most friendly and forthcoming people one may encounter. But I find that this unfriendly attitude is quite common among people from a country's capital (think Romans, Viennese to some extent...).

I will of course offer some first- hand impressions when I come back in mid- May. Maybe I'll get to post in an internet cafè, but given the fact that I'll be spending less than one week in each of the two cities, don't count on that.

What my GF told me, however, was to not expect clean bathrooms and generally good hygienic conditions if you are not staying in a 4+ star hotel. So we are going to stay in a student's hostel... I'm still not all that convinced, but she said that a three- star accomodation is no better, so I'll just believe her.

#363796 - 04/01/07 11:56 AM Re: I'm going to Moscow!...edit....I'm back!!
ecm Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Republic of Macedonia
Wow, that's amazing! I've never been in Russia before, my teacher teached at the Moscow conservatory years ago. I just started learning Russian language, because their country and history fascinates me. I want to go there sometime in the future.
Do you speak Russian?

Have a great time, enjoy great music, meet new people. Good Luck!

#363797 - 04/01/07 02:07 PM Re: I'm going to Moscow!...edit....I'm back!!
NikolaTesla Offline

Loc: WA
Independant judiciary? Doesn't the president appoint the supreme court justices?

#363798 - 04/01/07 02:17 PM Re: I'm going to Moscow!...edit....I'm back!!
lilylady Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: boston north
This sounds very exciting! Best wishes to you for a productive experience.

Could you elaborate more on why you wish to go?

What are your GOALS, short term, as well as long?

Why did you choose The Moscow Conservatory?

Do you have scholarships there?

What is your past experience?

LL

#363799 - 04/01/07 05:53 PM Re: I'm going to Moscow!...edit....I'm back!!
vladn Offline

Loc: NJ, USA
Your best bet is to hook-up with some locals in advance that can introduce you to specifics of Moscow life.

The important question is whether the exchange program covers accommodations. Visiting Moscow tourist style can be very expensive proposition. If you are on your own your best bet is to rent a small apartment in a reasonably safe place and within a short walking distance to a metro (Moscow underground train) station and be prepared to cook your food (most restaurants are very pricey).

For bars / restaurants recommendations the russian newsleter exile (www.exile.ru) publishes great nightlife guide. It is sort of an alternative ultra-right/left paper so you may need to filter stuff that you read there but I found their articles on food / nightlife very accurate.

Dealing with local law enforcement guys is something of an art not easily grasped by newbees. Bribery is common *but* it only works if you follow exactly the rules of engagement (correct language, no witnesses etc.) If you miss a single rule you may get in trouble.

The second negative is car exhaust smell that is a prevalent throughout the city even when there is no smog so be prepared if you have allergies astma.

Other than these issues you may really enjoy Moscow cultural life. The city changed a lot in recent years (both in good and bad ways). Being a major hub of petrodollar flow it shows probably more than any other place the contrast between poor and rich.

As far as tips rubles are no worse then dollars now (in fact ruble is strengthening with respect to dollar recently).

#363800 - 04/02/07 05:58 AM Re: I'm going to Moscow!...edit....I'm back!!
Phlebas Offline

Loc: New York City
 Quote:
Originally posted by NikolaTesla:
Independant judiciary? Doesn't the president appoint the supreme court justices? [/b]
(Sorry for the off topic)

Yes, but...

1) They are a separate branch of government - not under the executive branch.

2) They serve for life, so...

3) ...the sitting president does not appoint the entire supreme court, only when a judge retires.

(Back to topic)

Congrats on the Moscow trip.

#363801 - 04/02/07 10:20 AM Re: I'm going to Moscow!...edit....I'm back!!
Eternal Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Posts: 80,372
 Quote:
Originally posted by argerichfan:
 Quote:
Corruption is pretty rampant.
And that is not true of Washington DC? What else besides Big Business and their attendant lobbies set policy? You don't seriously think the voters have any influence there, do you?

Sorry. That touched a nerve. [/b]
Might have touched a nerve, but is true nontheless. Check this ranking of corruption:
http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0781359.html

According to that USA is on 22nd place, while Russia is all the way down on 127th! Right next to countries like Rwanda and Zimbabwe. Besides I consider bussiness lobbysts a necessary evil - they provide a counter-balance to populists.

This is still on topic. You will find corruption a commonplace thing in Russia, especially when dealing with public sector. I actually had to pay a bribe in order to get a ticket at the station, and the train was almost empty. And that's with my Russian not being half bad. It won't hurt you if you have a few dollars always handy for emergencies.

Also, for your own sake I hope you're White (as demonstrated by this and many other articles).

#363802 - 04/02/07 10:54 AM Re: I'm going to Moscow!...edit....I'm back!!
PoStTeNeBrAsLuX Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Geneva, Switzerland
Eternal:
According to that USA is on 22nd place,[/b]

And Switzerland is right up there in 7th place. So it would seem that Swiss governement officials are more successful than US ones when it comes to bribing survey organisations ;\) .

-Michael B.
There are two rules to success in life: Rule #1. Don't tell people everything you know.

#363803 - 04/03/07 05:15 PM Re: I'm going to Moscow!...edit....I'm back!!
balalaika Offline

Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Congratulations, PassionatePianist. It should be great!
Moscow Conservatory is a huge institution. There are lost of students and lots of teachers. Unfortunately, the greatest teachers have all gone (I mean there are dead). Still you will get a lot of good advice during your term.
Moscow is a huge city and life is spinning around. There are always lots of concerts, exhibitions all year around. You should have lots of fun! \:D
Be careful though in the streets. I do not think that corruption will have any relevance to you but there are also lots of criminals down there. Try to keep lower profile. Do not advertise you are a foreigner. It could save you from some nasty experiences. I am pretty sure your mentors will instruct you on this one.
You will most likely stay at the dormitory. It is a long five story building not too far from the Conservatory (about 15-20 minutes by bus). The living quarters are on 3, 4 and 5th floors. The most of the rooms are of the double occupancy. There is an upright piano in each room, but I would not recommend you to practice at your room. There are about fifty practice rooms with grand pianos in the basement. There are a few old Steinways, but the majority of pianos are European – Bechstein, Blutner, Forster, Petrof, etc. :p The pianos are not new but well maintained. Some students start practicing from 6:00 AM. But they have to leave for the lessons, so some of the practice rooms are empty during the day. The practice rooms are open until 11:00 PM. :rolleyes:
There is a cafeteria on the first floor of the dormitory. Students can cook at the kitchens. There are a few of them on each floor. The students are usually very friendly. But you should know – some of them drink and could try to get you involved! Be careful with vodka!
You will probably have a buddy or mentor who will help you with all your needs.
I hope this will help. Have fun! \:\)

#363804 - 04/03/07 05:21 PM Re: I'm going to Moscow!...edit....I'm back!!
Eternal Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Posts: 80,372
Watch out for KGB! ;\)

#363805 - 04/03/07 07:23 PM Re: I'm going to Moscow!...edit....I'm back!!
argerichfan Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Eternal:
Watch out for KGB! ;\)
Then come back home and watch out for the (US) IRS. Aside from Washington DC, the most powerful terrorist organization on the planet. Stateside friends tell me that if they ever sell stocks, the IRS automatically considers that full income. It is up to the poor individual to prove otherwise. Unless they're rich of course... ;\)

#363806 - 04/03/07 10:27 PM Re: I'm going to Moscow!...edit....I'm back!!
Monsieur_Pichon Offline

Loc: Buenos Aires, Argentina
Congratulations.....THATS SO SO GREAT!

Have a really nice time there ^^

#363807 - 04/05/07 12:58 PM Re: I'm going to Moscow!...edit....I'm back!!

I want to thank you all for your support. I will surely have a great time while I'm there. My ultimate dream would be to perform in Rachmaninoff Hall!

A friend of mine was telling me about his experience at Moscow last year. He said that I'd mostly love 3 things there: the music, the vodka, and the women!

#363808 - 04/05/07 03:03 PM Re: I'm going to Moscow!...edit....I'm back!!
vanityx3 Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by argerichfan:
Stateside friends tell me that if they ever sell stocks, the IRS automatically considers that full income. It is up to the poor individual to prove otherwise. Unless they're rich of course... ;\) [/b]
well, maybe you should get better stateside friends. Instead of ones that are so radically opposed to their own country. If these people despise their own country so much, then why are they staying there?

I get confused with things like this?

#363809 - 01/28/08 09:00 PM Re: I'm going to Moscow!...edit....I'm back!!

I'm back!! What an experience it was!! This was definitely a life changing experience. I don't even know where to begin..it was a completely different world...and I loved it! I studied with Alexander Mndoyants, who was a prize winner in the 1977? Cliburn Competition. I worked very hard and accomplished a lot with him. I also had a performance in Rachmaninoff Hall! I performed Rachmaninoff preludes in B flat Major and G sharp minor. I have small clips of the performance so I'll try to get them up soon.

#363810 - 01/28/08 09:14 PM Re: I'm going to Moscow!...edit....I'm back!!
Loki Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Texas
 Quote:
Originally posted by vladn:
Your best bet is to hook-up with some locals in advance

[/b]
Well, he is named passionate pianist for a reason, you know...

:2hearts: :2hearts:

#363811 - 01/28/08 09:15 PM Re: I'm going to Moscow!...edit....I'm back!!
Loki Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Texas
Oh... I just realized that this was a revived thread. My bad guys...

#363812 - 01/28/08 09:31 PM Re: I'm going to Moscow!...edit....I'm back!!
DameMyra Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: South Jersey
Welcome back. I hope when you have a chance you can go a little more into detail on what it was like living and studying there.

#363813 - 01/28/08 10:54 PM Re: I'm going to Moscow!...edit....I'm back!!
Cheeto717 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Pennsylvania
haha, i thought this was a new thread as well. my apologies.
Brahms: Op. 120
Chopin: Op. 10

#363814 - 01/29/08 09:20 AM Re: I'm going to Moscow!...edit....I'm back!!
Piano&Violin Offline

Loc: Frankfurt, Germany
Welcome back, glad you liked it! My teacher is Russian and studied at Gnessin school.

#363815 - 01/29/08 10:50 AM Re: I'm going to Moscow!...edit....I'm back!!
tomasino Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Minneapolis, Minnesota
Quoting C7Player:

Quoting Argerichfan:

Quoting Piano dad:
There is a difference between nations that have a functioning and independent judiciary and nations that don't. Despite the federal prosecutor flap, ours is still in the former category.

Quoting Argerichfan:
Independent of what? The US election of 2000 would seem to indicate otherwise.

Tomasino’s comment:

Way to go Jason.

Tomasino
"Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do so with all thy might." Ecclesiastes 9:10

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
Our latest Issue is available now...
Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
70 registered (Al LaPorte, barmassimo, beeboss, ando, 19 invisible), 1171 Guests and 19 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75602 Members
42 Forums
156326 Topics
2295913 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
piano technician cost list
by ascc
Today at 01:36 AM
Liszt on Steinway A3
by Reno
Today at 01:35 AM
Roland RD800 initial impressions
by fizikisto
Today at 12:28 AM
Connected Slurs
by TX-Bluebonnet
Today at 12:17 AM
Recital 35 --- Call For Submissions
by AB Forum Recital
Yesterday at 10:17 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission