2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
66 members (benkeys, 1200s, aphexdisklavier, akse0435, AlkansBookcase, Alex Hutor, AndyOnThePiano2, amc252, 10 invisible), 1,847 guests, and 273 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
P
OP Offline
P
Hi everyone. I will be studying at the Moscow State Conservatory of Music this Fall as an exchange student. I've been trying to find out as much as I can about life in Moscow to make my 4 month stay easier.

I've never been to Russia and I'm wondering if anyone here has some good advice to give to me. Any helpful tips/pointers would be greatly appreciated. I want to be as prepared as possible so that the culture shock isn't a complete scare for me!

If anyone on this board has ever studied or stayed at this Conservatory, please share your experience. Thanks in advance.

"Simplicity is the final achievement." - Chopin
Originally posted by PassionatePianist:
Hi everyone. I will be studying at the Moscow State Conservatory of Music this Fall as an exchange student. I've been trying to find out as much as I can about life in Moscow to make my 4 month stay easier.

I've never been to Russia and I'm wondering if anyone here has some good advice to give to me. Any helpful tips/pointers would be greatly appreciated. I want to be as prepared as possible so that the culture shock isn't a complete scare for me!

If anyone on this board has ever studied or stayed at this Conservatory, please share your experience. Thanks in advance.
Sounds wonderful! thumb

Not all who wander are lost...
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Good luck! This conservatory graduated many masters.

Originally posted by Bassio:
Good luck! This conservatory graduated many masters.
But don't let them turn you into a commie at the same time! laugh

B
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
B
Hi passionatepianist!

Congratulations on your trip to Moscow! I've been a couple of times, enough to form brief impressions rather than enough to say I know a lot about it but, for what it's worth, here are some thoughts.

The people are amazingly friendly! I was there on business and the people I was meeting with did things that were so kind and thoughtful it was really touching. Yes, they wanted to make a good impression for business reasons but they went well beyond that. Also, the people on the street were generally very friendly. I don't think they see a whole lot of tourists so they've not become tired of being overrun and will go out of their way to give directions - I had someone walk 5 blocks out of their way to show me where something was!

Much of the city is really run down. Think Stalin era concrete and steel that hasn't aged well. It's one of the few places in the world where I truly wondered whether an elevator would get me to the next floor. Parts of the city are newer, primarily business/tourist areas but much of the rest is pretty old.

They really want hard currency (dollars). Waiters don't want a tip on a credit card, they'd rather have much less in cash.

In spite of the friendliness, I was always a little uneasy. I expect a lot of this is cold war baggage I carried with me but nevertheless...

The cultural opportunities in the city are amazing! The museums, the Bolshoi & Kirov, etc. I got to see Prokofiev's "For love of three oranges" and it was wonderful. The theater was threadbare (you could still see the hammer and sickle embroidered in the stage curtain) but it was packed, standing room only, and this was on a weeknight.

The muscovites love their vodka! Here are some facts: a population of 10 million drinks more than 20 million bottles per year. When you consider women don't drink vodka as much (usually wine) and the percentage that are children that's pretty high per capita consumption. Seeing people drunk on the street in the evenings is not uncommon.

Corruption is pretty rampant. I met with Putin's minister of trade and he asked me for a bribe (a "consideration") in a room full of people through a translator.

The last time I was there was in 2000 so it's possible that things have changed since then though, being Russia, I doubt it.

Hope this helps and good luck!

Greg
Originally posted by C7 Player:
Hi passionatepianist!

Congratulations on your trip to Moscow! I've been a couple of times, enough to form brief impressions rather than enough to say I know a lot about it but, for what it's worth, here are some thoughts.

The people are amazingly friendly! I was there on business and the people I was meeting with did things that were so kind and thoughtful it was really touching. Yes, they wanted to make a good impression for business reasons but they went well beyond that. Also, the people on the street were generally very friendly. I don't think they see a whole lot of tourists so they've not become tired of being overrun and will go out of their way to give directions - I had someone walk 5 blocks out of their way to show me where something was!

Much of the city is really run down. Think Stalin era concrete and steel that hasn't aged well. It's one of the few places in the world where I truly wondered whether an elevator would get me to the next floor. Parts of the city are newer, primarily business/tourist areas but much of the rest is pretty old.

They really want hard currency (dollars). Waiters don't want a tip on a credit card, they'd rather have much less in cash.

In spite of the friendliness, I was always a little uneasy. I expect a lot of this is cold war baggage I carried with me but nevertheless...

The cultural opportunities in the city are amazing! The museums, the Bolshoi & Kirov, etc. I got to see Prokofiev's "For love of three oranges" and it was wonderful. The theater was threadbare (you could still see the hammer and sickle embroidered in the stage curtain) but it was packed, standing room only, and this was on a weeknight.

The muscovites love their vodka! Here are some facts: a population of 10 million drinks more than 20 million bottles per year. When you consider women don't drink vodka as much (usually wine) and the percentage that are children that's pretty high per capita consumption. Seeing people drunk on the street in the evenings is not uncommon.

Corruption is pretty rampant. I met with Putin's minister of trade and he asked me for a bribe (a "consideration") in a room full of people through a translator.

The last time I was there was in 2000 so it's possible that things have changed since then though, being Russia, I doubt it.

Hope this helps and good luck!
Very interesting delineation of the city.

V
V
Originally posted by Hayley Rae:
But don't let them turn you into a commie at the same time! laugh
Haha very naive thinking there, Hayley wink

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Congratulations Passionate:

I envy you. Make the most of your time there and post now and then.

Full-Time Music/Entrepreneurship Major: (Why not compose music AND businesses?)
Former Piano Industry Professional
Steinway M
Roland Atelier AT90R
All Posts are Snarky Unless Otherwise Noted
A
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
A
Originally posted by C7 Player:
Corruption is pretty rampant.
And that is not true of Washington DC? What else besides Big Business and their attendant lobbies set policy? You don't seriously think the voters have any influence there, do you?

Sorry. That touched a nerve.

Jason
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
There is a difference between nations that have a functioning and independent judiciary and nations that don't. Despite the federal prosecutor flap, ours is still in the former category. Contract law still means something here and basic property rights are enforced. The closest analogy for Russia is Chicago in the twenties except that one of the gangs is the government.

Back on topic, I wonder what pianos are most common at the MSU conservatory. Belarus and older Estonias maybe? or have they been able to spring for better makes?

A
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
A
Originally posted by Piano*Dad:
There is a difference between nations that have a functioning and independent judiciary...
Independent of what? The US election of 2000 would seem to indicate otherwise.

But what the heck, let's just drop it. This is not a political forum, so back on topic my friends... wink

Jason
I really don't know anything about Russia, but good luck in school there! Don't get homesick :p

Edward

www.solopianoradio.com
^^Great website, all the solo piano you need, hosted by David Nevue^^
Edit: Oops, posted twice frown

www.solopianoradio.com
^^Great website, all the solo piano you need, hosted by David Nevue^^
L
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
L

Congratulations, PassionatePianist, I'm sure it will be a unique and very rewarding experience!

I will go to visit my girlfriend, who is currently spending five months in Nizhnij Novgorod for an exchange semester, and I'll be visiting Moscow and St. Petersburg as well (packed schedule for 14 days, I know...)

From what my girlfriend told me (she has been to Moscow for close to five weeks in September 2005), she percieved the Moscovites to be rather unfriendly, in contrast to what C7player said... they have some sort of "I don't know you, I'll probably never see you again, so what reason do I have to be friendly?" attitude.

But she also said that once you get to know them even just a little bit, they are the most friendly and forthcoming people one may encounter. But I find that this unfriendly attitude is quite common among people from a country's capital (think Romans, Viennese to some extent...).

I will of course offer some first- hand impressions when I come back in mid- May. Maybe I'll get to post in an internet cafè, but given the fact that I'll be spending less than one week in each of the two cities, don't count on that.

What my GF told me, however, was to not expect clean bathrooms and generally good hygienic conditions if you are not staying in a 4+ star hotel. So we are going to stay in a student's hostel... I'm still not all that convinced, but she said that a three- star accomodation is no better, so I'll just believe her.

Proud owner of an August Förster 190 Serial No. 164163
E
ecm Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
Wow, that's amazing! I've never been in Russia before, my teacher teached at the Moscow conservatory years ago. I just started learning Russian language, because their country and history fascinates me. I want to go there sometime in the future.
Do you speak Russian?

Have a great time, enjoy great music, meet new people. Good Luck!

Independant judiciary? Doesn't the president appoint the supreme court justices?

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
This sounds very exciting! Best wishes to you for a productive experience.

Could you elaborate more on why you wish to go?

What are your GOALS, short term, as well as long?

Why did you choose The Moscow Conservatory?

Do you have scholarships there?

What is your past experience?

LL

"Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and life to everything."
V
V
Your best bet is to hook-up with some locals in advance that can introduce you to specifics of Moscow life.

The important question is whether the exchange program covers accommodations. Visiting Moscow tourist style can be very expensive proposition. If you are on your own your best bet is to rent a small apartment in a reasonably safe place and within a short walking distance to a metro (Moscow underground train) station and be prepared to cook your food (most restaurants are very pricey).

For bars / restaurants recommendations the russian newsleter exile (www.exile.ru) publishes great nightlife guide. It is sort of an alternative ultra-right/left paper so you may need to filter stuff that you read there but I found their articles on food / nightlife very accurate.

Dealing with local law enforcement guys is something of an art not easily grasped by newbees. Bribery is common *but* it only works if you follow exactly the rules of engagement (correct language, no witnesses etc.) If you miss a single rule you may get in trouble.

The second negative is car exhaust smell that is a prevalent throughout the city even when there is no smog so be prepared if you have allergies astma.

Other than these issues you may really enjoy Moscow cultural life. The city changed a lot in recent years (both in good and bad ways). Being a major hub of petrodollar flow it shows probably more than any other place the contrast between poor and rich.

As far as tips rubles are no worse then dollars now (in fact ruble is strengthening with respect to dollar recently).

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by NikolaTesla:
Independant judiciary? Doesn't the president appoint the supreme court justices?
(Sorry for the off topic)

Yes, but...

1) They are a separate branch of government - not under the executive branch.

2) They serve for life, so...

3) ...the sitting president does not appoint the entire supreme court, only when a judge retires.

(Back to topic)

Congrats on the Moscow trip.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,248
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission