Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#364070 - 10/08/06 02:27 PM Back Ache!
kraniak Offline

Loc: SW Florida
Sitting at the piano for extended periods of time has, since I was a child, produced a back ache. Specifically, my back muscles seem to burn from the bottom of my ribs up to my shoulder blades. Does anyone else experience this?

It would seem that burning muscles translates to over use, but that continual usage would result in eventual strengthening and a cessation of the problem. But this is not the case.

This is a problem for gigs that last more than an hour and definitely puts a damper on my practice and play time.

I realize this isn't a chiropractic forum, but I'm hoping other players have knowledge of this problem and perhaps a suggested solution.

(ad) Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#364071 - 10/08/06 02:37 PM Re: Back Ache!
Demet Offline

Loc: North Cyprus
Lots of years same problem for me until I started Hatha Yoga five years ago. Now my back problems have gone.
hope this help.
dem.

#364072 - 10/08/06 02:53 PM Re: Back Ache!
Monica K. Offline

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012

Loc: Lexington, Kentucky
Hi Kraniak, your best bet would be to see a physical therapist and have him/her teach you back and shoulder strengthening exercises. I did this when I was experiencing a pain in my shoulder blades, and I was given one particular set of exercises called W-T-V. You lie down on your stomach (roll up a towel under your forehead so you don't squash your nose). Put your arms out to your side in the shape of a W (elbows pointed down toward your hips, hands at shoulder level). Lift them straight up (back) in the air as high as you can, hold it for 5 seconds, repeat ten times. Then make a T-shape and lift up for 5 seconds, 10 reps. Then put your arms out in a Y formation and do the same thing. (This last position is a killer.) These exercises will strengthen your back/shoulder muscles, if you do them consistently. But I still think a physical therapist is your best bet. ;\)

Good luck. Back pain is no fun.

#364073 - 10/08/06 03:32 PM Re: Back Ache!
BruceD Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Victoria, BC
kraniak :

I think the first thing you need to do is analyze how you sit when you are practicing/playing the piano. Are you naturally erect with your torso properly balanced, the shoulders not hunched up, the head not thrust forward and the feet flat on the floor (or on the pedals) in front of you? Bad posture can be the first and primary contributor to a pianist's back problems.

Video-tape yourself while playing or, if that's not possible, do as is done in some piano studios: try to observe your playing in a full-length mirror. Or, have someone knowledgeable observe you while you are playing.

If posture is not at the root of the problem, then exercises and a physical therapist might be the next step.

Regards,
Writing from Paris until 15 May, 2014

#364074 - 10/08/06 06:59 PM Re: Back Ache!
Auntie Lynn Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: San Francisco, CA
Had the same thing. Best remedy is those Royal Canadian Air Force exercises...the best - cures everything except ephigitis...

#364075 - 10/08/06 07:00 PM Re: Back Ache!
kraniak Offline

Great suggestions, thanks for the ideas.

#364076 - 10/08/06 07:12 PM Re: Back Ache!
signa Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Loc: Ohio, USA
video tape yourself playing or put a mirror on side to check on your posture, which is the most important thing for pianists. i never got back ache and any injury due to playing piano, solely because i'm keenly aware of my posture and movements at keyboard and any type of pain or even just uncomfortableness will alert me to check on my posture and movements in order to avoid any further damage. so, i think you should check on your posture as the first thing and then isolate any movements which create any sort of pain or the kind and make adjustment immediately. if you need me to describe what correct posture is, i'd be glad to do so. if you have already known what correct posture is, then stick to it no matter what you play and how long you play and check on your posture constantly during your practice.

#364077 - 10/08/06 09:45 PM Re: Back Ache!
apple* Offline

Loc: Kansas
i've had quite a bit of trouble lately and have found relief particularly from stretching in every which way and sitting differently. I put the seat quite low, add pillows, stick my legs, out, take the pillows away, raise the seat, change chairs.. I know that i have eliminated the tense posture that has cause my back to ache.. now i'm waiting for the healing to continue.

love and peace, ├Ľun (apple in Estonian)

#364078 - 10/08/06 10:28 PM Re: Back Ache!
sarabande Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Mo.
I would HIGHLY, HIGHLY recommend Alexander Technique. Here is a link:

alexandertechnique.com

It's not a piano technique as we think of. I think the links will explain it better than I can.

I did it for a while and it helped me tremendously. Prior, my upper back was always tired all the time and no matter how I tried to find ways to sit, etc., it didn't help. It helps you learn better habits of holding your muscles and letting go of tension. It helps you become more aware of what you're doing. I find I can even breathe so much easier now. My upper back doesn't get tired at all anymore. I still sometimes tend to go back to the same old habits, but I know how to find that place or feeling back. It really helps with playing an instrument too because one can play in a more relaxed manner minus unnecessary tension that would get in the way of playing or lead to injury.

#364079 - 10/08/06 11:26 PM Re: Back Ache!
kraniak Offline

All this talk about proper piano posture. I wonder if Bill Evans had any back issues? \:D

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
146 registered (Almaviva, ando, 36251, AmateurBob, 44 invisible), 1712 Guests and 36 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74270 Members
42 Forums
153629 Topics
2251679 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
CA95 noisy front rail
by lolatu
04/21/14 10:57 AM
It's not so simple as the 10,000 hour rule.
by Brad Hoehne
04/21/14 10:43 AM
Day brightener
by Chuck Behm
04/21/14 10:09 AM
Paris Atelier
by Beemer
04/21/14 09:20 AM
Lubricious Whippen Cushions
by Grotriman
04/21/14 09:12 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission