2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
67 members (amc252, brennbaer, accordeur, antune, anotherscott, AndyOnThePiano2, benkeys, 9 invisible), 1,790 guests, and 317 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
C
OP Offline
C
Around 11PM tonight, I walked down the hall and heard him practicing his program in my teacher's studio for his concert here tomorrow. He was doing slow practice on his Mozart sonata k. 330.

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Are you going to his concert? He's a blessed performer.

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
eek

Where is "here"?

I guess this is just a lesson for all of us - not only does Yundi Li do slow practice, he also does it the day before a performance. This demonstrates the real importance of this practice method.

Sam
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
I assume that CCM Stephen goes to CCM smile

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Oh... hehe. Never heard of it.

I just checked their website.

For some reason, I always associate "CCM Stephen" with "Stephen Kovacevich"...

Sam
C
OP Offline
C
Originally posted by Mikester:
I assume that CCM Stephen goes to CCM smile
Yep.

Well I hope to go to the concert--I'm having trouble buying tickets due to a rather bizzare policy: you can only buy tickets on ebay with a paypal account, but there is something wrong with my paypal, so I'm planning to show up at the door and see if they will sell me a ticket that way.

B
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
B
He's playing here Friday night (22nd), let me know how it is.

I got my ticket for free. cool

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I just saw him here in Seattle on Wednesday night. I really was not that impressed overall. I thought he really lacked a unique voice...it wasn't a personal performance it was an auto pilot performance. That being said I thought his Liszt sonata was the best piece of the night simply because

a) he really did a nice job of keeping the structure of the piece stable. It is really easy to make that piece sound like one giant thematic ramble rather then an ever evolving thematic story. It felt complete at the end.

B) He has killer octaves...my god they are fast.

in my opinion the last 2 minutes of the program were the most musical. the way he closed the sonata was the most vulnerable and personal statement of the entire night...at least it was the last 2 minutes they are probably the most important.

wow...well i almost never slow practice even though my teacher so strongly reccomends it...i think its time i start...

...when the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace...
M
M
Isn't Yundi a frequent poster here?

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by miseenplace:
Isn't Yundi a frequent poster here?
Is he? He certainly a frequent topic around here!

Sam
Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by CCM Stephen:

Well I hope to go to the concert--I'm having trouble buying tickets due to a rather bizzare policy: you can only buy tickets on ebay with a paypal account, but there is something wrong with my paypal, so I'm planning to show up at the door and see if they will sell me a ticket that way.
What sort of bizarre policy requires that you purchase tickets only on eBay? Who has set this policy?

This means that someone who doesn't have a computer and/or a Paypal account cannot get to hear one of the current "hot" stars in the piano firmament in his Cincinnati recital. Unless this is a private recital this sounds very discriminatory to me.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
M
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
M
Originally posted by pianojerome:
I guess this is just a lesson for all of us - not only does Yundi Li do slow practice, he also does it the day before a performance. This demonstrates the real importance of this practice method.
Concurred...

Yundis octaves are very fast, gotta be about 12 a second (in the La Campanella video..)

C
OP Offline
C
Well, I am going to the concert. I finally got in touch with someone in charge of the concert, and they will let me pay for my tickets at the door.

I'll let you all know how it goes.

T
T
I heard Li play here in San Diego last Friday night. He's probably doing the same program in Cincy - Mozart, Schumann Carnaval, and the Liszt Sonata. Frankly, the Mozart was the weakest part of his program. Certainly not bad, but rather pedestrian. The Schumann was excellent, but the Liszt was great! One of the best performances I've ever heard, either live or recorded.

Tavner
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Well Stephen do you mind giving us more of a description of what you heard when you heard him practicing, we are all curious to hear even the slightest nuances I'm sure.

"He who turns himself into a beast, gets rid of the pain of being a man."
H
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
H
yes, such as, how slow was slow?

C
OP Offline
C
Originally posted by Tavner:
I heard Li play here in San Diego last Friday night. He's probably doing the same program in Cincy - Mozart, Schumann Carnaval, and the Liszt Sonata. Frankly, the Mozart was the weakest part of his program. Certainly not bad, but rather pedestrian. The Schumann was excellent, but the Liszt was great! One of the best performances I've ever heard, either live or recorded.
This is the exact description I would use for today's performance. Best Liszt Sonata I've ever heard. His performance of the Schumann was probably the best performance I've heard of that piece as well, but did not compare to his Liszt rendition. I was most impressed by his control of tone and pedaling, as well as his tremendous facility. I was actually expecting him to be just another young pianist with great fingers, but was blown away.

As to his practicing, I didn't listen for too long due to the potential awkwardness that would result if he walked out of the room unexpectedly. laugh

He was isolating short passages in the outer mvts of Mozart. Interestingly, he didn't sound that much different from any other student's practicing--heavy into-the-keys practice that was slightly under tempo. I can understand why he would need to secure the notes in his fingers since he has to just run that program in performance over and over night after night.

There was someone else in the room with him (I heard two voices speaking in Chinese, and one was female). It seemed like she was coaching him--he would play something, then I'd hear the female voice speak, and he'd play some more, etc.

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,244
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission