Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

Trying Something New with Search
(ad)
Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
125 registered (augustm, aliash, anrpiano, Bellicapelli, ando, 38 invisible), 1375 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#365186 - 05/30/06 10:54 PM Re: Hardest Chopin Etude? and other questions..
Peter MN Offline

Loc: Apple Valley, MN
For me, the hardest ones were 10/2, 10/4, 25/11

Favorite recording is still Pollini's

Played them all

Piano & Music Gifts & Accessories (570)
Piano accessories and music gift items
#365187 - 06/01/06 09:03 PM Re: Hardest Chopin Etude? and other questions..
Kelvin Offline

I've played. Op. 10 No. 12, Op. 25 No. 12, and am working on Op. 10 No. 04 and Op. 25 No. 11.

I believe Op. 10 No. 02 is the hardest

#365188 - 06/01/06 09:59 PM Re: Hardest Chopin Etude? and other questions..
MMSGA Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by blaude:

Has anyone here heard Agustin Anievas' Chopin Etudes? They might be my favorite complete set. Very imaginative, colorful playing, and spotless technique. [/b]
I had the pleasure of attending a Hong Kong recital of his in 1990, I think, where he played op10 in the first half, and op25 in the second.

Stunning...

He didn't break between op25 11 and 12, but just went straight into no 12... That was a really good effect. Never heard it before...

#365189 - 06/02/06 10:19 AM Re: Hardest Chopin Etude? and other questions..
lol_nl Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Ede, Netherlands
 Quote:
Originally posted by Peter MN:
Played them all [/b]
How long did you take to learn them all?

"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is never enough for music."
-Sergei Rachmaninoff.

#365190 - 06/02/06 11:54 AM Re: Hardest Chopin Etude? and other questions..
pianoman68 Offline

Loc: Germany
Which of the Chopin Ballades is the easiest and why?

#365191 - 06/02/06 12:02 PM Re: Hardest Chopin Etude? and other questions..
Rick Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Chicago
Blaude:

I can't believe you mentioned that album. I was perusing a Glen Ellyn Illinois store shortly before Christmas. It was an antique store, and they had some LP's. I noticed there were a lot of classical LP's, so I flipped thru them. I came across this Chopin Etudes album of which you speak. At least I think it's the same name. Recorded in 1967 or so? He's an American I think. Does that sound right? Anyway, I bought the album (for 50 cents!), and it did sound good - the ones I listened too anyway. But I didn't rip it yet, since I figured I had enough mp3's already of this stuff. Maybe I should. I never dreamed anyone else had ever heard of this guy.

#365192 - 06/02/06 02:58 PM Re: Hardest Chopin Etude? and other questions..
Peter MN Offline

Loc: Apple Valley, MN
Yiteng,

I have learned them parallel to other pieces in my conservatory and college years, say in a span of 6 years.

Peter

#365193 - 06/02/06 03:59 PM Re: Hardest Chopin Etude? and other questions..
blaude Offline

Loc: Houston, TX
 Quote:
Originally posted by Rick:
Blaude:

I can't believe you mentioned that album. I was perusing a Glen Ellyn Illinois store shortly before Christmas. It was an antique store, and they had some LP's. I noticed there were a lot of classical LP's, so I flipped thru them. I came across this Chopin Etudes album of which you speak. At least I think it's the same name. Recorded in 1967 or so? He's an American I think. Does that sound right? Anyway, I bought the album (for 50 cents!), and it did sound good - the ones I listened too anyway. But I didn't rip it yet, since I figured I had enough mp3's already of this stuff. Maybe I should. I never dreamed anyone else had ever heard of this guy. [/b]
I've talked to a few people who also swear by his Chopin etudes. The recording was first introduced to me by my old piano teacher in high school. I don't know much about Anievas, but I think he's more dedicated to teaching than performing (not sure where he teaches). He also has a recording of the Rach concertos out.

MMSGA: That concert must have been amazing! I've always wondered what it would be like to witness all of the Chopin etudes live in the same recital performed by one person, let alone Anievas!

#2466824 - 10/05/15 05:21 PM Re: Hardest Chopin Etude? and other questions.. [Re: newton2060]
debussychopin Offline

1) I believe this has been answered satisfactorily here in this thread. However I would like to add , in my experience, the middle section of 10 3 is as hard as any etude I actually practiced or dabbled in. This is an etude in itself. Others have difficulty mainly due to trying to get up into speed and accuracy due to speed, but most of the middle section of 10 3 requires a physical observation of one's movements to encompass what is asked to be played even at a slow pace. Most specifically, the sixths descending portion of that middle section, and the little bit prior to that.

2) I dont think anything is essential to learn, but working on 10 4 and 10 5 have improved my overall technical grasp of things very clearly and has been observed by others as well (teacher, fellow students, spouse, mom).

3) dont know. No point in trying to look into this. Tackle an etude and if you deem it still impossible or difficult even after few returns to it, you can make your own mind and statement of it.

4) I first started with 10 3. Not that I knew what an etude even was back then. It was in a music book typical of Korean bookstores of the most famous pieces. I chose that one because the beginning melody was soo beautiful. Then it got hairy. I put it away and returned to it a few more times over the course of the years, but I still cannot get over the hump in 'comfort' of the hands trying to encompass that middle part.
I later stated to myself, this must be one of the harder etudes just due to this section.
I also learned (well, still practicing and will for rest of my life) 10 2, 10 4, 10 5, 10 12, and 25 2. I did try 25 12 a couple times in the past and halted.

10 2 is a very delicate piece. It is a great warm up to getting into practice mode as well. Try thinking of your right hand 3,4,5 fingers as feathers. You do in the beginning solidly press the keys all the way to engrain the piece into your hand, but later as you advance, you must lighten the right end fingers almost fluttery.
It is very UN intuitive in the beginning stages due to the unusual fingering , but it gets real sensible later and it has allowed my horizons to broaden on how I approach other pieces as well sometimes.

10 4 is the most fun. Many ways to interpret this piece. It is a diabolical little piece and I imagine a caricature red devil w beard (Turkish?) skipping around causing havoc in people's minds. The strength of skill is determined in this one by the ability to evenly play the chromatics and the transitions from certain measures to the next. The chromatics hung me up for the longest time, I could never get faster but my Russian piano professor taught me a few fundamental tips on how to approach the chromatics and suggested czerny for the chromatics and I have gone up in speed cleanly.

10 5 is very difficult. accuracy is everything in this piece and right rhythm of the triplets in 4 time. the rhythm gets easy to work out quickly but accuracy is a train wreck for me on the last page. That is the most difficult part. I have worked on htat last page many months. and now it is better but still fear it when I approach it when playing.
Also, if you are prone to sweaty palms, this piece is NOT for you (or it is for you, depending on how you look at it) That last page is horrendous for me due to my constant sweating of palms.

10 12 is such a lush piece. I enjoy playing through this just for slow speed and try to express the left hand in wind rush and not overpowering this is the key. Everyone here will say that dont let left hand overpower, of course, but yet to see in real life any student play the left hand quietly but speedily and revolutionarily.

Originally Posted By newton2060
Hi,

I have a few questions about the Chopin Etudes.

1) firstly, is there a general consensus on which of the etudes is the hardest?

2) Which ones are more essential to learn than others?

3) Somebody on another thread mentioned how great pianists like Horowitz, Rubinstein and Paderwski could not play all of them. Where exactly are these greatest pianists quoted as having said that?

4) How may of the etudes have you learnt?

Many thanks in advance,

#2466828 - 10/05/15 05:36 PM Re: Hardest Chopin Etude? and other questions.. [Re: newton2060]
Incongruous Offline

Music is an art, not a sport. Hardest in what sense?
I would like to know how many people have actually played them.

I have small hands. I found Op. 25 No.6, No.10 and No. 11 easier than what people told me about them. I can't do Op. 10 No.1 and No.2 to save my life. Op. 10 no 3-5 weren't that bad. I've never even sightread Op.10 No. 6. Op. 10 No.9 wasn't at all anything impossible. Op. 10 No. 12 was alright, I mean it fit my hands well.

Op. 25 No.1 I think is harder than most people think. I think its rare to hear a really good rendition of this.
Op. 25 No.2 Easy.
Op. 25 No.9 Easy.

This is based on my experience.

*sigh* this is a 9 year old thread.

Edited by Incongruous (10/05/15 05:37 PM)

#2466850 - 10/05/15 06:54 PM Re: Hardest Chopin Etude? and other questions.. [Re: newton2060]
debussychopin Offline

Thread age is irrelevant when it comes to music and discussions of music/concepts of music.

I get it if it is a current trends or sports forum , but there's no harm bringing up old threads to continue good conversation about music.

#2466867 - 10/05/15 08:10 PM Re: Hardest Chopin Etude? and other questions.. [Re: newton2060]
Cheeto717 Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pennsylvania
I also do not understand the stigma with reviving old threads. I'd rather see people contributing to an old thread, instead of starting a new one on the same subject. So I'd like to contribute my own 2 cents.

I think that op 10 no 2 is easily the most difficult etude. Next is probably op 10 no 1, then op 25 no 11.

I've played through them all, but I know op 10 very well and have performed about half of op 10, usually in sets of 3 or 4.

The first one I learned was op 10 no 1, which was probably not a good move. I had no idea what I was doing and it was way beyond me. Good ones to start with are op 10 no 3, 5, 6, 8, 12 and op 25 no 2.

The etude from op 25 I actually know pretty well is no 6, the double thirds one, and honestly I think there are many etudes that are much harder. I actually think op 10 no 7 is quite a bit more difficult.

J.S. Bach

#2466890 - 10/05/15 10:28 PM Re: Hardest Chopin Etude? and other questions.. [Re: Cheeto717]
Carey Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Loc: Phoenix, Arizona
Originally Posted By Cheeto717
I also do not understand the stigma with reviving old threads. I'd rather see people contributing to an old thread, instead of starting a new one on the same subject. So I'd like to contribute my own 2 cents.

Resurrecting an old thread is fine as long as you don't expect the previous participants to respond to your contribution. grin In this particular thread only two (possibly three) of the original participants are still actively posting on PW.

Interesting discussion, however.

#2467111 - 10/06/15 05:08 PM Re: Hardest Chopin Etude? and other questions.. [Re: newton2060]
dolce sfogato Offline
2000 Post Club Member

I have studied them all, performed them all, still do, and had problems with them all, but not anymore, so it's a long time ago that I had to conquer them. Still, the ones that keep me busy more than the others are: op.10 nrs.1/4/7 and op.25 nrs.4/6/11, this should be no surprise, but as a daily routine they give me some good and some bad mornings, but we remain friends, it's for life.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
Why It's Impossible to Tune a Piano!
aka, why you should be nice to your tuner.
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

-------------------
Piano Classified Ads
Piano Acc. & Gift Items in
Piano World's Online Store
In PianoSupplies.com ,(a division of Piano World) our online store for piano and music gifts and accessories, party goods, tuning equipment, piano moving equipment, benches, lamps Caster Cups and more.

Free Shipping on Jansen Artist Piano Benches
(ad)
Hammond A100 for Sale!
PRICE DROPPED!
(Think B3)
Hammond A100 for sale!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad 125)
Sweetwater $55,000 Giveaway
Sweetwater $55,000 Mic Locker Giveaway
(ads)
PD - WNG - MH
PianoDisc
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Is the Kawai US website down? Looking for dealers in Florida
by Giancarlo Robles
05/24/16 09:11 AM
Rachmaninoff in 7 days! (aka "the things kids say")
by TwoSnowflakes
05/24/16 09:04 AM
Yamaha P-105: Loud low notes, Soft high notes
by Chogato
05/24/16 08:01 AM
How to evaluate an untuned Bluthner
by Bellicapelli
05/24/16 07:39 AM
Easy lead sheet classics
by johan d
05/24/16 03:20 AM
Forum Stats
83,736 Registered Members
44 Forums
172,894 Topics
2,527,268 Posts

Most users ever online: 15,252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2016 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission