2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
50 members (BillS728, anotherscott, AlkansBookcase, Carey, CharlesXX, bcalvanese, colinvda, Adam Reynolds, cascadia, 6 invisible), 2,122 guests, and 303 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Z
OP Offline
Z
Has anyone ever read this? I love his attitude towards the piano. It's so powerful and certain that it reminds me of the way Ayn Rand preaches in her novels.

He offers so many helpful tips on practicing. For example: after an hour of practicing is up, take a long break, even a long walk and think nothing more of music, and let the information you just learned sink in. Then return to the piano. He also says you don't need finger excersises, maybe just a couple to warm a person up is alright, but even dipping hands in warm water for a couple minutes is just as effective.

He was also Anton Rubentein's pupil for two years and he talks abouts his expiriences with him.

But man oh man, do I need a dictionary when I read his writing. Some of the words are so complicated that even websters dictionary doesn't contain the definitions.

He was such an intelligent man, and not just because he knows how to use big words. This book is definetly well worth the read although it can be a little intimidating. When you find out that you are learning piano in a way which he would disapprove of, or he puts down in any way your method of playing or learning, it makes you feel like sh**.

Zeldah

[ August 04, 2001: Message edited by: ZeldaHanson ]

Glenn Gould in regards to music:

The problem begins when one forgets the artificiality of it all, when one neglects to pay homage to those designations that to our minds-to our reflect senses, perhaps-make of music an analyzable commodity. The trouble begins when we start to become so impressed by the strategies of ours systematized thought that we forget that it does relate to an obverse, that it is hewn from negation, that it is but a very small security against the void of negation which surrounds it.
J
Joe Offline
J
Thanks for the preview, I ordered that book recently, and I'm just waiting to have a friend of mine drop it off. smile Did you know that Hofmann invented the automotive shock absorber?

Z
OP Offline
Z
Haha, that's actually kind of funny but wow, I never knew that. He really is a genius. I wish so much I had lived back then so I couldn't known him and talked to someone like him.

Here are some more sweet quotes from him:

"A technic without a musical will is a faculty without a purpose, and when it becomes a purpose in itself it can never serve art."

"The soul of a work of art lies hidden. To play its notes, even to play them correctly, is still very far from doing justive to the life and soul of an artistic composition."

"In some respects the performance of a piece of music resembles the reading of a book aloud to someone. If a book shoul dbe read to us by a person who does not understand it, would it impress us as true, convincing, or even credible? Even if such a person were drilled to read outward correctness that of which he cannot fanthom the meaning, the reading could not seriously engage our attention, because the reader's want of understand would be sure to effect a lack of interest in us.Whatever is said to an audience, be the speech literary or musical, must be a free and individual expression , governed only by general aesthetic laws or rules; it must be free to be artistic, and it must be individual to have vital force.

Glenn Gould in regards to music:

The problem begins when one forgets the artificiality of it all, when one neglects to pay homage to those designations that to our minds-to our reflect senses, perhaps-make of music an analyzable commodity. The trouble begins when we start to become so impressed by the strategies of ours systematized thought that we forget that it does relate to an obverse, that it is hewn from negation, that it is but a very small security against the void of negation which surrounds it.
J
Joe Offline
J
That's a great analogy using the reading of a book. I'm going to use that!

M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
I've read it...he had a very analytical mind and is able to answer the questions very clearly.

A very good read...it's next to my bed.

Mat D.

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,152
Members111,629
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission