2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
24 members (johnesp, clothearednincompo, crab89, JohnCW, Georg Z., David B, 9 invisible), 1,260 guests, and 290 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
OP Offline
Well, I think that this is the right number anyways. (This is the funneral sounding one) Anyways does anyone out there have any tips for me while I learn this short song.

I want a grand piano if you would like to donate please e-mail me. Only joking, kind of.
I play:
Piano, Organ, Clarinet, Violin, Cello, Flute, Recorder, Penny Whistle, Jaw Harp, Harmonica, Guitar, Mandolin, and Ukulele
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
That one sounds more like rain to me... are you thinking of the C Minor prelude, No. 20, with all the big chords?

For #6, I'd suggest really bringing out the top notes, which are repeated. Those, to me, evoke rain and should be heard constantly apart from the rest of the music. It's as if you're inside playing the piano, and at the same time, constantly, you hear the patter of rain on the roof above you. This is not the one that's usually called "Raindrop Prelude" (that's #15), but, to my ear, it sounds just as "raindroppy" as the other.

Sam
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by washingtonpianist:
Anyways does anyone out there have any tips for me while I learn this short song.
Lets see how long it takes before the song police show up...

Actually, I have to disagree with PJ's advice - to me the most important thing to bring out is the left hand melody. The repeated notes in the RH do need to be properly phrased, and I like PJ's suggestion of rain, or dripping, but it needs to be subordinate to the LH melody. My teacher always told me to think of the LH as being a cello and the RH being a light piano accompaniment.

What you are is an accident of birth. What I am, I am through my own efforts. There have been a thousand princes and there will be a thousand more. There is one Beethoven.
J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
If it's the b minor prelude then I agree with 8ude - the right hand repeated notes should definitely be subordinate to the melody. I have an edition which says the repeated notes should be played 'bebung', although I don't think that's really possible on a piano since there's no way to influence the vibration of the string via the key once it's struck. The notes said that the 2nd note of each pair should be only barely sounded.

If it's the C minor one - this is one of my all time favourite piano pieces (and not because Barry Manilow did a version). I even had a sweater with the first bar embroidered onto it. Check each chord individually to make sure you are playing all the right notes. Then make sure you can move smoothly from one chord to the other. Practice those transitions which are difficult. Once you've got all the notes under your fingers you can play with bringing out various notes, in particular the inner parts in the right hand in the final 4 bars.

John
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Jeez, I thought he must be talking about Op. 28, No. 4. Isn't that the one that was played at Chopin's funeral?

Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Perhaps we should hold further advice until the original poster identifies the Prelude in question. "Funneral [sic!] sounding one" doesn't help.

As for "song", 8ude, I really am biting my tongue!

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W
Originally posted by 8ude:
Originally posted by washingtonpianist:
[b] Anyways does anyone out there have any tips for me while I learn this short song.
Lets see how long it takes before the song police show up...

[/b]
I hope pretty soon.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by J. Mark:
Jeez, I thought he must be talking about Op. 28, No. 4. Isn't that the one that was played at Chopin's funeral?
I think No 2 was played at his funeral.

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by 8ude:
Actually, I have to disagree with PJ's advice - to me the most important thing to bring out is the left hand melody.
Actually, I agree with you. The melody is what people will -- and should -- hear above all.

My concern, however, is that the top line of repeated notes would get buried in the chords, and not be heard as a separate voice. It requires a special technique of playing slightly louder with the pinky, and slightly softer with the rest of the fingers, which we all must learn how to do at some point in order to play many different pieces more beautifully. That top line of repeated notes creates a certain mood -- a certain background to the melody that, while not overwhelming the melody, must still have it's own effective presence. It doesn't quite have that presence when melded to the other right hand notes.

Sam
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by LisztAddict:
Originally posted by J. Mark:
[b] Jeez, I thought he must be talking about Op. 28, No. 4. Isn't that the one that was played at Chopin's funeral?
I think No 2 was played at his funeral. [/b]
I don't know whether it's accurate (I wasn't there), but wikipedia reports:

"The funeral was held on October 30, 1849, attended by nearly three thousand people. The soloists in the Requiem included the bass Luigi Lablache, who had sung the same work at the funeral of Beethoven and had also sung at the funeral of Vincenzo Bellini. Also played were Chopin's preludes no. 4 in E minor and no. 6 in B minor."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chopin

A
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
A
Gee, Washington P, are you from Arlington (thought that was in Oregon), anyway, I am from Walla Walla - went to Whitman...

C
C
I don't see no song. But yes, both the E minor and B minor Preludes were played at Chopin's funeral, on the organ I believe. I think his Funeral March from the Second Sonata was played as well.

S
S
They didn't play none of them tunes on a pianer?

Baldwin SF-10 320152, Marshall & Wendell, Steinway B
C
C
Originally posted by Secondo:
They didn't play none of them tunes on a pianer?
My guess would be that these pieces were played on the organ, since that was the instrument that was considered appropriate for church at the time.

The piano was not used in church until much later. Some Lutheran and Anglican churches still use only the organ.

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,164
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission