2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
47 members (Carey, Dalem01, Cheeeeee, danno858, CharlesXX, Aleks_MG, accordeur, brdwyguy, 8 invisible), 2,051 guests, and 320 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
edit:
Pearl River makes THE WORST concert grand in the world. No joke.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally posted by argerichfan:
Originally posted by playadom:
Quite an interesting story.
For more interesting stories, try to locate a copy of Friedheim's 'Life and Liszt: The Recollections of a Concert Pianist'. It's still available from Amazon and well worth a read. You won't be bored.

If the few Friedheim recordings I've heard suggest that, well, he was from a bygone era, Friedheim was quite a 'character', though highly intelligent and very charismatic.
Friedheim's piano roll recordings of works by Liszt are very interesting. He launches, without the usual deliberation, straight into the "Friska" of the 2nd Hungarian Rhapsody up to tempo...which I find is a very exciting way of performing the piece. It seems that Emil Von Sauer, another Liszt pupil, was in a state of despair with his own technique after first hearing Friedheim play.
I shall seek out the book which you recommend.

5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Re Wanda:
laugh

Slow down and do it right.
[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally posted by -Frycek:
Chopin could draw very well and was somewhat notorious for his caricatures when he was in school. He also enjoyed acting in amateur theatrics, theatre of all kinds and Polish poetry. As a teenager when he still had the breath for it he liked to hike, dance and ice skate. Later, when he no longer unable to walk any distance he enjoyed riding about the countryside around Nohant on a donkey. He played chess (badly) and was very fond of dogs.

Mozart was an excellent billiards player and also bowled.

Liszt played cards.

Angela Lear loves cats, dogs and gardening.
Mozart was an awful billiard player, he lost lot of his money with billiard bets. mad

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by pianovirus:
:rolleyes:
:p

Every difficulty slurred over will be a ghost to disturb your repose later on. Frederic Chopin

Current favorite bumper sticker: Wag more, bark less.
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by John Frank:
[b] :rolleyes:
:p [/b]
laugh laugh

You enjoy rocking the boat, don't you? wink

Close only counts in horseshoes, hand grenades, and nuclear weapons.
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by JustAnotherPianist:
edit:
Pearl River makes THE WORST concert grand in the world. No joke.
Tell that to Wanda - she'd probably say: "What the heck does he know - he's JustAnotherPianist"! wink

Regards, JF

P.S. you might need a special medium for this exchange.

Every difficulty slurred over will be a ghost to disturb your repose later on. Frederic Chopin

500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Originally posted by John Frank:
[b] :rolleyes:
:p [/b]
[Linked Image]

[ wink ]

5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by GreenRain:
Mozart was an awful billiard player, he lost lot of his money with billiard bets. mad [/QB]
Tell that to Wolfie. wink

Slow down and do it right.
[Linked Image]
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
[b] Now THAT's a surprise. So easy to damage knuckles, wrists, etc!
Hopefully they just watched. [/b]
Cziffra was a bouncer, reportedly. Horowitz just liked to watch (both as a boxing fan and probably for other...ulterior motives).

"I'm a concert pianist--that's a pretentious way of saying I'm unemployed at the moment."--Oscar Levant

http://www.youtube.com/kojiattwood
https://www.giftedmusicschool.org/
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Cziffra was a bouncer? Seems that job might be pretty tough on the hands as well. eek

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Being interred at a concentration camp, and forced to carry stones for hours a day was much worse.

"I'm a concert pianist--that's a pretentious way of saying I'm unemployed at the moment."--Oscar Levant

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
[Linked Image]

(note the wristband, a reminder of those days)

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Thracozaag:
Being interred at a concentration camp, and forced to carry stones for hours a day was much worse.
Absolutely. eek eek

Thanks for the picture. Pretty big guy, I guess.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Yeah, Cziffra's memoirs, "Cannons and Flowers" is a great read and it proves that his life was much more unbelievable and exciting as many Hollywood Blockbusters (lame as they are these days, especially...). His student days at the Liszt Academy were arranged by a traveling merchant who tricked his family into hiking for hours to get into town, only to find out Dohnanyi had never heard of him--he fought in the war, was the only man in his squadron to survive, after hijacking a train and spending quite a long time in an underground POW camp--and after the war he did indeed serve as a pianist/bouncer for bars until slowly working his way up to jazz clubs and eventually, concert halls. A lot of what we know of as being the "pros/cons" of Cziffra's artistry and life was born out of necessity, especially when it came to knowing the improvisational art and being able to defend himself and bar patrons.

One story relates how one of his employers, the owner of a bar in Budapest, went crazy in the times of post-war depression and murdered his mistress and her other lover with an axe. One night, while Cziffra was playing the piano, a group of police officers stormed in and took his employer away, explaining to Cziffra what had happened. I think he mentioned in his memoirs that this sort of thing didn't at all surprise him, and he found work elsewhere!

S
S
Richter broke his pinky in a barroom brawl by punching somebody else, though I don't believe he was in the general habit of frequently brawling with others.

- Silence

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Horowitz just liked to watch (both as a boxing fan and probably for other...ulterior motives).
On that topic, I've heard that Bernstein was known to go to parties with a woman on each arm and return home with a man on each arm.

I think chess is a much more wholesome interest for a musician!

Practice makes permanent - Perfect practice makes perfect.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I'm surprised Saint-Saëns hasn't been mentioned yet. Here's an excerpt from his wikipedia article :

Saint-Saëns was a multi-faceted intellectual. From an early age, he studied geology, archaeology, botany, and lepidoptery. He was an expert at mathematics. Later, in addition to composing, performing, and writing musical criticism, he held discussions with Europe's finest scientists and wrote scholarly articles on acoustics, occult sciences, Roman theatre decoration, and ancient instruments. He wrote a philosophical work, Problèmes et Mystères, which spoke of science and art replacing religion; Saint-Saëns's pessimistic and atheistic ideas foreshadowed Existentialism. Other literary achievements included Rimes familières, a volume of poetry, and La Crampe des écrivains, a successful farcical play. He was also a member of the Astronomical Society of France; he gave lectures on mirages, had a telescope made to his own specifications, and even planned concerts to correspond to astronomical events such as solar eclipses.
I suppose being a composer, pianist, organist, and conductor wasn't enough!

Die Krebs gehn zurucke,
Die Stockfisch bleiben dicke,
Die Karpfen viel fressen,
Die Predigt vergessen.

Die Predigt hat g'fallen.
Sie bleiben wie alle.
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by playadom:
[b]Horowitz just liked to watch (both as a boxing fan and probably for other...ulterior motives).
On that topic, I've heard that Bernstein was known to go to parties with a woman on each arm and return home with a man on each arm.

I think chess is a much more wholesome interest for a musician! [/b]
Chess is more wholesome than what - watching boxing or coming home with a man on each arm? Granted chess is a challenge, but can you stand the excitement? Now, if the two men were from Central Europe it might be a case of "Czech mating" instead of "check mating" (although a draw was more likely, especially with 2 "queens" in the game) laugh But enough about wholesomeness . . .

Regards, JF

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
[b]
[b] Now THAT's a surprise. So easy to damage knuckles, wrists, etc!
Hopefully they just watched. [/b]
Cziffra was a bouncer, reportedly. Horowitz just liked to watch (both as a boxing fan and probably for other...ulterior motives). [/b]
Perhaps Horowitz picked up his enthusiasm for the sport from his father-in-law, Toscanini, who used to enjoy watching both boxing and wrestling matches on television. Maybe Toscanini developed his poor eyesight from squinting at those tiny screens eek

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,302
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission