Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
Who's Online
126 registered (AZ_Astro, Anne'sson, 661-Pete, anotherscott, 42 invisible), 1327 Guests and 13 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Topic Options
#373207 - 11/22/01 02:52 PM Appoggiatura
CrashTest Offline
4000 Post Club Member

In my Henle edition of the Mozart sonatas, they say that the "long" appogiatura becomes a suspension (I think they mean it changes with the note is precedes), does this only occur when the appogiatura is above the note? When it is below, look in measure 7 of sonata k.330, does that appogiatura get played on the beat, or before?
Also, it says ornaments are played on the beat. I understand trills and the like to be on the beat, but what about appogiaturas? For example, in measure 6 of sonata k. 331's 3rd movement (alla turca), does that G-A appogiatura get played with the E in the left hand, or does the B it leads up to get played with the E? In measure 25 of that same sonata the same situation applies with the left hand arpeggios, do I play the first note of that appogiatura/ arpeggio with the C# in the right hand, or do I play the C# when that arpeggio ends and the A starts? I hope someone can make some sense of this, thanks!

Ad 800 (Pearl River)
Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano
#373208 - 11/22/01 09:39 PM Re: Appoggiatura
Matt G. Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Plainfield, IL
 Quote:
Originally posted by CrashTest:
In my Henle edition of the Mozart sonatas, they say that the "long" appogiatura becomes a suspension (I think they mean it changes with the note is precedes), does this only occur when the appogiatura is above the note? When it is below, look in measure 7 of sonata k.330, does that appogiatura get played on the beat, or before?
Also, it says ornaments are played on the beat. I understand trills and the like to be on the beat, but what about appogiaturas[/b]

I guess it's time for the annual appoggiatura festival. ;\) In the case of Mozart (and most other music written for nearly another hundred years afterwards), you have to think of an appoggiatura as just another ornament. As your Henle edition states, all ornaments are to be played on the beat (or perhaps more clearly, at the time that following normal-size note would be played).

There are long and short appoggiaturas. The long appogiatura takes half (sometimes more in really slow tempi) of the next note's value. A long appoggiatura is written without a slash through the stem. The short appoggiatura, written with a slash through the stem, is extremely short, usually less than one-fourth the value of the following note.

Appoggiaturas should not be confused with "grace notes" which only really start to appear about the time of Chopin and Schumann. These are notated in similar fashion to the appoggiatura, but are almost always placed in the score so that they are clearly intended as such (when at the start of a measure, for example, they are usually written at the end of the previous measure). There are no grace notes in Mozart.

As for the comment about an appoggiatura becoming a suspension, I believe the indication is that when the written appoggiatura is the same note as the previous note, the appoggiatura should be 'tied' to the previous note and treated like a suspension and not sounded separately.

Hope that clears a few things up. If anyone disagrees with these statements, please feel free to comment. I can't make any claim to be authoritative. ;\)

#373209 - 11/23/01 08:41 PM Re: Appoggiatura
CrashTest Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Another thing that got my attention was the first trill in Mozart's sonata k. 330 (1st movement). In the schirmer edition, they suggest a suffix after the trill along with what is written in (So it becomes D-C-D-C-D-C-B-C-D-E-G), but it seems that the extra B-C makes it longer and harder to play in time. In the Henle edition, they suggest D-C-D-C-D-C-D-E-G, which to me seems better. Which would be the accurate way, historically and musically to play it?

[ November 23, 2001: Message edited by: CrashTest ]

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
Christmas Header
Christmas Lights at Piano World Headquarters in Maine 2014
-------------------
The December Free Piano Newsletter
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Bottom of hammer hitting top of damper on upright
by JoeThePro
12/21/14 10:09 PM
Getting better
by Kekewak
12/21/14 07:35 PM
Pearl River vs. Samick
by Zekk
12/21/14 03:41 PM
Kawai vs. Yamaha: what to choose
by SeeSharp
12/21/14 02:19 PM
Disklavier Pro Alternatives? C5X Value for money?
by bryan77
12/21/14 01:15 PM
Forum Stats
77391 Members
42 Forums
160049 Topics
2350410 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission