2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
50 members (Cheeeeee, Carey, Dalem01, danno858, CharlesXX, Aleks_MG, accordeur, brdwyguy, 9 invisible), 2,030 guests, and 337 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#373233 01/24/08 11:40 PM
C
OP Offline
C
http://youtube.com/watch?v=yztoaNakKok

It is a link originally posted by Pianojerome in response to one of hyonchingonchon's threads. Many people seemed offended by his dislike towards overly dissonant music. However, I found it a very interesting subject. (Although I have to admit, hyonchingonchon did sound a bit immature in his threads Janus Sachs pointed out. Janus Sachs, I hope to be on your good side!)

I mean to give no insult. Truly, I'm hardly the one to "define" music. I'm simply curious as to what other people thought about this particular composition. I have listened to about thirty seconds of it, and still have a fierce headache. (Twice in a row, pianojerome! I stand awed smile .)

I fully understand that no single composition could ever satisfy all. I want to make this very clear, because I've observed how these sort of subjects lead to unpleasantries.

So do you, honestly, enjoy this composition? It is original and interesting, and if not for the headache, I would have liked to listen to the whole thing. But I do not think I would ever come to relish anything like it as I do more traditional harmonies. Now judging from the rating and such, I assume people do appreciate the idea. But that is a different thing from finding pleasure in the sound.

So comments?

#373234 01/25/08 12:21 AM
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Actually, it was playadom who posted that. Not me. wink

It reminds, in a strange way, of some late 19th century orchestral music (e.g. Sibelius, Debussy, Stravinsky). All of these composers used blocks of sound -- a certain set of instruments for a few measures, and then a different set of instruments for a few measures, and then a different set of instruments for the next measures....

That's seems, to me, to be a big part of what Xenakis did in this piece. Of course he's using different instruments -- he's not using cellos and violins and flutes and bassoons... he's using computerized instruments. And if you watch the video, you can see how he is dividing them up into definite sound blocks.

It takes getting used to the sounds of the new instruments, for sure.

Sam
#373235 01/25/08 12:26 AM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Not my cup of tea. Sorry, but I couldn't bear to listen to more than a minute. Hurt my ears. frown

#373236 01/25/08 12:37 AM
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I'm kind of middle of the road on it. I respect the composer for getting out there and doing something different. And there are times when I do enjoy listening to stuff like this - just masses of sound. But it isn't something that I absolutely rave about either, and it probably wouldn't be in my most-played list on iTunes...

There's a time and place for pieces like this.

What you are is an accident of birth. What I am, I am through my own efforts. There have been a thousand princes and there will be a thousand more. There is one Beethoven.
#373237 01/25/08 02:27 AM
Z
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Z
awful was my thought, couldn't listen for more than 10 seconds

"I don't think I handle the notes much differently from other pianists. But the pauses between the notes - ah, there is where the artistry lies" - Artur Schnabel

[Linked Image]
#373238 01/25/08 03:01 AM
W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W
Enjoyed it, although part of that was the visual aspect, I'm sure. But it's not really up to Xenakis' best work, I don't think. And the YouTube sound is a bit suspect. I ended up listening to more Xenakis posted at YouTube, and then surfed on to some electronica videos. And did some googling for software that translates visual info into sound.

It's interesting that "art" electronic music has never really caught on with classical music listeners outside of a pretty small circle. But in the pop world, it's a whole different story, and although I'm not really part of that scene, it seems that heavily electronic pop seems to be growing by leaps and bounds.

#373239 01/25/08 02:06 PM
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Can quality be divorced from personal taste?

i.e. that even if I can't stand a decidedly great work, I can still admit that it is a great work.

or is quality inherently tied to reception?

i.e. if I don't enjoy listening to it then it has failed an aesthetic and communicative goal.

or is it some dialectical compromise of the two?

Sam
#373240 01/25/08 02:21 PM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I listen to music because I actually enjoy it and not to feel proud of myself for being sophisticated. If I don't enjoy a piece, if it isn't enjoyable to me as a listener then I do not consider the piece a success, as far as I am concerned of course. I've found certain twentieth century music to be interesting - someone posted a video of "Cottonsboro Mill" or something like that, and it was a great piece, I thought. This piece posted has novelty, sure, but I mean, you can do anything and pass it off as art and there will be someone who pretends to understand and truly appreciate it.

http://www.youtube.com/user/Theowne- Piano Videos (Ravel, Debussy, etc) & Original Compositions
音楽は楽しいですね。。。
#373241 01/25/08 02:24 PM
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Theowne:
I listen to music because I actually enjoy it and not to feel proud of myself for being sophisticated. If I don't enjoy a piece, if it isn't enjoyable to me as a listener then I do not consider the piece a success, as far as I am concerned of course. I've found certain twentieth century music to be interesting - someone posted a video of "Cottonsboro Mill" or something like that, and it was a great piece, I thought. This piece posted has novelty, sure, but I mean, you can do anything and pass it off as art and there will be someone who pretends to understand and truly appreciate it.
So if I like a piece, and you don't like the same piece, is it great or not? Can it be both?

Can it be a great success because I like it, and at the same time *also* be a failure because you don't like it?

Sam
#373242 01/25/08 02:28 PM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Can it be a great success because I like it, and at the same time *also* be a failure because you don't like it?
It means we have different opinions.

http://www.youtube.com/user/Theowne- Piano Videos (Ravel, Debussy, etc) & Original Compositions
音楽は楽しいですね。。。
#373243 01/25/08 03:22 PM
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
opinions based on immediate aesthetic reaction?

That could be a good thing; I mean, if the greatness/success of a piece of music relies entirely on immediate aesthetic reaction -- but then it's impossible to say if a piece is objectively good or not. In other words, there's nothing about the music itself that makes it good or bad; and everyone's opinions mean absolutely nothing about the music, but rather everything about the *people* making those opinions. (i.e. it's not that the music is too dissonant to be good music; it's rather that the listener has too low a tolerance of dissonance to enjoy the music.)

On the other hand, if there is more to the music that just anybody's gut reaction, then different opinions don't really matter. If "greatness" is based on the structure of the music; the relationships between consonances and dissonances; the relationships among harmony, melody, and rhythm, etc;;; then listening to a great work, someone might not personally enjoy it and say "it sucks", without going into any detail about *the music itself*, but there'd be reason to even listen to that opinion. It would be irrelevant, since it doesn't really describe what's truly good or bad about *the music itself* (not what's immediately appealing to the listeners personal preferences about music).

Sam
#373244 01/25/08 03:28 PM
R
R
Ouch, I didn't turn down my speakers when I started the video. I had them turned all the way upQ! Otherwise, it didn't appeal to my taste very much, interesting concept though.

Once during a concert at Carnegie Hall, the violinist Rachmaninoff was playing with lost his place in the music and whispered to Rachmaninoff, "Where are we?" Rachmaninoff replied, in all seriousness, "Carnegie Hall".
#373245 01/25/08 03:43 PM
I have no idea how that can be called music, The technical definition seems to be: "an artistic form of auditory communication incorporating instrumental or vocal tones in a structured and continuous manner" (at least according to google define!) but music to me means something very different, and it's hard to put into words, it's obviously not just somehing "you like the sound of" but I guess that has a part in it to some extent.

Music should be somewhat pleasing to the ears, unfortunately that "piece" just hurt mine

C H O P I N

"I Think Therefore I Am." - Rene Descartes
#373246 01/25/08 04:46 PM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
That could be a good thing; I mean, if the greatness/success of a piece of music relies entirely on immediate aesthetic reaction -- but then it's impossible to say if a piece is objectively good or not. In other words, there's nothing about the music itself that makes it good or bad; and everyone's opinions mean absolutely nothing about the music, but rather everything about the *people* making those opinions. (i.e. it's not that the music is too dissonant to be good music; it's rather that the listener has too low a tolerance of dissonance to enjoy the music.)
I'm not sure where the "immediate response" stuff came in. My answer is pretty simple - I listen to music for enjoyment. That enjoyment can come from many different things. When I hear a piece that does not fall under anything I consider "enjoyable", then I don't consider to be good music since it didn't accomplish what I think is the basic purpose for music.

音楽は楽しいですね。。。
#373247 01/25/08 06:32 PM
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I'm ashamed to confess that I did not enjoy it the first time, or the second, or the third.

I write contemporary music, and I'm an advocate for 20th and 21st century music. I was one of those who found 5/5 to be peices and not "random" laugh

But in this case (and Xenakis is Greek, as I am... wink ) I have to say that it is lacking most features that I do enjoy in music. It is music, and it is well defined as such, but the quality of the sounds, was simply to raw for me (who grew up with computers) to enjoy purely.

Avant garde in general, is not my cup of tea, and although it's great to shake the waters I doubt it's most peoples cup of tea.

That said, there are 95% chances that I'll use such a sound in some work in the future, or have already, but under my terms, which includes more... "normal" trascendens...

____

Sam, there is a problem that I was pondering on as well.

If you don't enjoy at all something, why must it be great at all? I, personally, can see the greatness in pieces that I don't particularly like, and I can see in Xenakis work(s) the value, but still I can't measure it up to other works, personally.

How do you measure greatness in music?

Is it the process which one went through? In that case deaf composers come first. wink Then limp ones, then crazy ones, etc. And then young ones (whoops, these grow old at some point wink ).

When you listen to something (not aimed at Sam, but everyone) do you stop to think who did what and how? Who cares that Messiaen wrote his quartet when in "jail"? It's still magnificent. Would it matter was there peace at the time? Sure, but it doesn't change the work, does it? You are entering the fantastic domain are you not with such thoughts?

Does it make any difference on how long it took to compose? What Mozart, infamously spent more than 10 minutes composing his symphony? would it be a better work? Many times we can tell if someting is a work of a long hard work or not, but in truth you can't tell so in pros. And for the record, lots of media music (film, computer games) is being composed in very few weeks time, maybe less than a month.

I can guess to what Xenakis was after when he wrote that and I'm sure that inside academia all this is acceptable. There are excuses and the thin line connecting loose art (as drawn by him) and music is a great one to explore.

Only that academia is good for researching and teaching, not for art itself... frown

#373248 01/25/08 06:33 PM
R
R
OK, I actually listened to it all the way through. And I have to say, it grew on my a little more. I still wouldn't call it music. Maybe more of a "sound idea". It sounded like something from a horror movie, which I though was neat. I also heard what sounded like fire trucks in the city. And at one few points I though I heard an emeregency warning siren and got this wierd feeling as if I was the last person on Earth and was walking through a city after a bomb or something had destroyed it. Kinda wierd. So the "piece" had some interesting ideas in it.

Once during a concert at Carnegie Hall, the violinist Rachmaninoff was playing with lost his place in the music and whispered to Rachmaninoff, "Where are we?" Rachmaninoff replied, in all seriousness, "Carnegie Hall".
#373249 01/25/08 07:03 PM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by pianojerome:
Actually, it was playadom who posted that. Not me. wink
Yes!

I must say, one has to be in the right mood to listen to this.

I don't understand this, nor do I pretend to, but I certainly enjoy it, and there's nothing wrong with that.

The visual component is certainly a major factor; I'd be less likely to just put this piece on my iPod and just listen to it(although this might elicit interesting reactions from friends...)

For those interested:
http://membres.lycos.fr/musicand/INSTRUMENT/DIGITAL/UPIC/UPIC.htm
This is what he used to 'compose' this piece.

Practice makes permanent - Perfect practice makes perfect.
#373250 01/25/08 07:30 PM
T
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
T
Can quality be divorced from personal taste?
i.e. that even if I can't stand a decidedly great work, I can still admit that it is a great work.
or is quality inherently tied to reception?
i.e. if I don't enjoy listening to it then it has failed an aesthetic and communicative goal.
or is it some dialectical compromise of the two?

I am a purely subjective response man, Sam. I just create and respond to abstract sound. I tried to understand externally defined criteria of goodness in music for many years but I can no longer see the point of it. In short, I am probably a simple, happy pig rather than a complicated, wretched Socrates, which propensity limits my participation in forum discussions because I have problems seeing reasons to argue about music at all. I'd just rather get on with creating it and enjoying it. But I'm sure you knew that.

"Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law" - Aleister Crowley
#373251 01/25/08 08:37 PM
B
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
B
Originally posted by C H O P I N:
"an artistic form of auditory communication incorporating instrumental or vocal tones in a structured and continuous manner" (at least according to google define!)

That's hyperbolic to the point of being barf-worthy! Is an improvised 18th-century cadenza "structured and continuous?" Are stylized arrangements of folk dances or ethnic rhapsodies "artistic" in the Germanic, elitist way that the word connotes?

Music should be somewhat pleasing to the ears, unfortunately that "piece" just hurt mine
One of my favorite quotes, by Charles Ives: "Music is not recreation for the ears."

As for the Xenakis, I found it less innovative than some of his other works, but when taken in context of some of the other trends in musique eletronique and musique concrete Mynenae Alphae is still a fairly progressive piece.

#373252 01/25/08 08:54 PM
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
This is a bunch of sound effects that could have been 'composed' by anyone noodling around around with a synthesiser or two, preferably under the influence of mind-altering substances, so as not to be aware of the awfulness emanating from the speakers. Don't get me wrong, I'm not against self-indulgence per se, as long as there is no pretence of actually being art, or that the protagonist(s) receive any of my tax money in order to produce it smile . Then again, life is too short to waste on bothering with stuff of this ilk.

-Michael B.

There are two rules to success in life: Rule #1. Don't tell people everything you know.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,302
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission