Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#374383 - 12/29/01 09:26 PM other than classical
Rodion Offline

Loc: Salt Lake City
i'm just curious about what kind of music every listens to other than classical or whatever else they practice on the piano. i like anything except rap and country western. here is a band list:

david bowie, nine inch nails, iggy pop, velvet underground, placebo, blur, johnny cash, stone temple pilots, new order, tom waits, radiohead, pink floyd, t. rex, unkle, dj shadow, aphex twin, deftones, mazzy star, portishead, modest mouse, momus, orbital, underworld, the pixies, nick cave & the bad seeds, roxy music, billy idol, the psychedelic furs, brian eno, camper van beethoven, einsturzende neubauten, INXS, jeff buckley, Kraftwerk, sonic youth, the violent femmes, and that's about half of it all......

Ad 800 (Pearl River)
Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano
#374384 - 12/30/01 12:13 AM Re: other than classical
Amy Offline

Loc: Upstate New York
I like Dave Matthews Band and some of the other rock groups like Blink 182, Papa Roach, No Doubt and POD. I also like the typical girly people like Mariah Carey and Jewel. I pretty much like everything except for rap and country

#374385 - 12/30/01 01:20 AM Re: other than classical
CrashTest Offline
4000 Post Club Member

When I am not practicing the piano, I am doing other nonsense, time wasting things such as eating and sleeping. As for music other than classical, the bands are like are er..... Is an orchestra considered a band? That's all i got! ;\)

#374386 - 12/30/01 01:27 AM Re: other than classical
Rodion Offline

oh yeah, i forgot to mention that i can't stand most top 40.....so sorry mariah and celine and the same with nickelback and limp bizkit.

#374387 - 12/30/01 02:35 AM Re: other than classical
Joy Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Encinitas, CA
The Holidays are a great time to get introduced to new music and re-discover old favorites.

Here's the CDs you would've heard at our household over the last few days:

Duke Ellington & Louis Armstrong: The Great Summit | Master Takes

Abbey Road (Beatles) They still sound fresh to my ears!

AlbŽniz/Iberia (Alicia de Larrocha)

Next Stop Wonderland [movie soundtrack, a divine compilation of Brazilian samba and bossa nova. Bebel Gilberto is wonderful!]

Schubert Fantasie (Radu Lupu & Murray Perahia)

Hi-Bop Ska (the Skatalites)

Bach Hits Back / A Cappella Amadeus (the Swingle Singers)

Us (Peter Gabriel)

Glenn Gould/Well Tempered Clavier, Books 1 & 2

Wise Guy (Kid Creole and the Coconuts)

Jobim and Friends (featuring Herbie Han****, Joe Henderson, Shirley Horn, Gal Costa and others)

Great Pianists/Martha Argerich [Bach, Liszt, Prokoviev, Rachmaninoff, Ravel]

Beethoven's 9th Symphony / conducted by Bruno Walter

I love Roxy Music, the B-52s and Talking Heads too. I like mixing our music around.

Joy

:rolleyes:

[ December 30, 2001: Message edited by: Joy ]

#374388 - 12/30/01 09:34 AM Re: other than classical
ChemicalGrl Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Durham, North Carolina
I was so into Depeche Mode once upon a time. I still like their stuff today. Also on my I like list is U2, a lot of the 80s stuff (New Order/Joy Division, Housemartins/Beautiful South, Tears for Fears, Spandau Ballet, you get the picture ...). Haven't kept up with stuff of late though as most of what I've been listening to has been choral music. I've been stuck on the Agnus Dei collection for a while now, I can never get tired of listening to that.

#374389 - 12/30/01 10:30 AM Re: other than classical
Nina Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Phoenix, AZ
Don't forget the jazz side of the house... for me, I can listen to Oscar Peterson all day long, any day.

Nina

#374390 - 12/30/01 12:46 PM Re: other than classical
jazzyd Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: United Kingdom
 Quote:
Originally posted by ChemicalGrl:
I was so into Depeche Mode once upon a time. I still like their stuff today. Also on my I like list is U2, a lot of the 80s stuff (New Order/Joy Division, Housemartins/Beautiful South, Tears for Fears, Spandau Ballet, you get the picture ...). [/b]

So many British bands! I usually feel I have to apologise for some of the music my country produced during the 80's, but I'm glad you like it... \:D

#374391 - 12/30/01 06:53 PM Re: other than classical
Eldon Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Illinois
Gee, Joy!
I could easily spend the holidays at your house. Great list....that is, if you've got a "comfy" recliner. \:\) Have you heard Kiri
Te Kanawa sing a piece called "The Most Wonderful Birthday of All"? It's a neat piece. Can anyone out there find the music to this piece? Bye.

#374392 - 12/30/01 07:31 PM Re: other than classical
Amy Offline

Loc: Upstate New York
I love Oscar Peterson!

#374393 - 12/30/01 08:54 PM Re: other than classical
LadyElton Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Southeastern Pennsylvania
I think you can look at my username to figure out my favorite. \:D I like various genres of music as well. I'm not into rap or country either, although there a few artists I like from those. I like classical, but don't know very much about it. (I know I share my b-day with Beethoven ;\) )

My best friend spent the weekend at my house. Late last night/early this morning, we were watching "People and Pianos" on PBS. She just rolled her eyes at my drooling over those pianos and wishing I could play like that. :rolleyes: Happy New Year everyone. I hope everyone has a very musical year!

Hilary

Check out my blog

"Looking like a true survivor..."
-- Sir EJ/BT '83

#374394 - 01/01/02 12:02 PM Re: other than classical
okat47 Offline

Loc: Canada
Yay for Jazz!
I like Miles Davis, Oscar Peterson, Diana Krall, Ella Fitzgerald... sappy Jazz standards
\:\)

#374395 - 01/01/02 01:48 PM Re: other than classical
Dan Offline

Loc: Colorado
I listen to a wide variety of music, including some country music (no rap however!) Vince Guaraldi, Garbage, Enya, Cranberries, Elton John, Pink Floyd, Heather Nova, Beatles, Shania Twain, Indigo Girls, Jars of Clay, Led Zepplin, REM, U2, Sonia, Cardigans, Trans-siberian Orchestra, as well as recordings by Ashkenazy, De Larrocha, Shnabel, Beppe Gambeta and many others.

I usually seem to run in "phases" where I'll listen to one genre for multiple days, then totally switch to a different one or change to simply a "shuffle play" of my entire collection (most of which is on both of my PC's at work and my home PC).

Happy New Year's to all,
Dan

#374396 - 01/01/02 08:46 PM Re: other than classical
PianoMuse Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Philly, PA
Jars of clay and Goo-goo dolls are my favorite, along with Tori Amos. I seem to gravitate towards music that are either piano-based or have orchestras playing in them...other than that, i can't stand much else!

#374397 - 01/02/02 05:45 PM Re: other than classical
Bernard Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: North Groton, NH
Harry Connick Jr. (Oh, yeah!), K.D. Lang (Oh, yeah!), Frank Sinatra (Oh, yeah!), Maryann Faithful (Oh, yeah!), Lynne Anderson (for nostalgic reasons). I still like to listen to The Mamas and the Papas now and then. Various ethnic and folk music, blues and (some) pop. And when I was in high school I was a big Elton John fan: wore through the Yellow Brick road albums and had to buy another set.

#374398 - 01/02/02 06:05 PM Re: other than classical
Rick Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Chicago
Jazzyd,
Yes, you may want to apologize for all that crap from the 80's (my teenage years). No, it's okay, because you guys made up for it in the 70's and 60's. I was into new rock up until 3 years ago (Live, Soundgarden, Pearl Jam, Foo Fighters). Since then it's been almost totally classical. Anyway, two things never fail to give me a lift: Chopin and Led Zeppelin. Timeless stuff, that's all.

P.S. Does the term "boy band" drive anyone crazy other than me? I don't have a dictionary handy, but doesn't "band" imply the playing of instruments?

#374399 - 01/03/02 03:50 PM Re: other than classical
DT Offline
1000 Post Club Member

In the office, classical piano or jazz. At home, it's usually FFH, Michael W. Smith, Steven Curtis Chapman, etc. but I still love to slip in a Steve Goodman, Dave Bromberg, John Prine, Hank Williams Jr, Jethro Tull or Sinatra once in a while.

#374400 - 01/03/02 05:20 PM Re: other than classical
Rodion Offline

hey i think all that british music rocks! has anyone noticed that a majority of the most popular and greatest rock bands are british? such as: the beatles, the rolling stones, led zepplin, pink floyd, david bowie, the who, black sabbath, and nowadays radiohead has to be one of the most creative and artistic bands around.

#374401 - 01/03/02 08:17 PM Re: other than classical
PianoMuse Offline
500 Post Club Member

DT-
I love Michael W. Smith as well. have you heard his new album "freedom", which is all instrumental? it is fantastic! i also like FFH...they have some good stuff.

#374402 - 01/04/02 08:39 AM Re: other than classical
DT Offline
1000 Post Club Member

PianoMuse:
Haven't heard Freedom but will check it out at lunch today. Do have his new album that came out just a month or two ago. Took the kids to FFH/Point of Grace concert in October. Lot of fun. My son (9) plays Big Fish over and over on his boombox. Hard to pick out those "dum diddies" on the piano, tho.

#374403 - 01/04/02 11:17 AM Re: other than classical
Rodion Offline

at the risk of sounding stupid i'm going to ask who FFH is.....

so who is FFH?

#374404 - 01/04/02 11:44 PM Re: other than classical
PianoMuse Offline
500 Post Club Member

FFH is a popular Christian band, with a folky-funky sound.

Yes, when i am home my father likes to play the song " big fish" throughout the whole house. we have some good times dancing along! ( and my dad attempts to sing along, which can always be VERY interesting, because he thinks he is a singing superstar..and then he tries to play the chords on the piano!...needless to say, I think even the dog runs and hides its head under a pillow!)

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
119 registered (AndrewJCW, Augustina, Atrys, Anne'sson, 34 invisible), 1306 Guests and 18 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75890 Members
42 Forums
156825 Topics
2304287 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Portable Power Supply for Digital Piano?
by piccione
Yesterday at 11:45 PM
on revisiting Chopin Etudes
by Lingyis
Yesterday at 11:45 PM
Molotov Cocktail Piano
by Robert W. Weber
Yesterday at 11:38 PM
20 inch tablet for sheet music?
by Sand Tiger
Yesterday at 11:04 PM
Need help with a piano purchase
by Freece65
Yesterday at 09:55 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission