Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#374894 - 11/26/01 12:06 AM BAAAAAAAAH! There should be a law against it!
jgoo Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Seattle, Washington, USA
I heard the most god-awful thing the other day. It was Beethoven's Fur Elise, but it was a "Technical Remix" (as they called it)of the piece. There was no piano in it what so ever, and what instruments there were, I couldn't identify. It was the most revolting thing that I have ever heard. I would have rather heard fingernails sratching across a chalk board. Should I be scared? I should. You would be too, if you had heard it.

BTW: This is my 300th post.

[ November 26, 2001: Message edited by: jgoo ]

(ad) Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#374895 - 11/26/01 12:24 AM Re: BAAAAAAAAH! There should be a law against it!
Josh Offline

Loc: Lexington, KY
Egads. I would guess it was synthesized, not actual "instruments." I agree, such desecration of this music should be outlawed. What you speak of may possibly even be worse than listening to children tink out and mangle that very piece endlessly like Chinese water torture.

#374896 - 11/26/01 12:27 AM Re: BAAAAAAAAH! There should be a law against it!
ChemicalGrl Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Durham, North Carolina
 Quote:
Originally posted by jgoo:
BTW: This is my 300th post.[/b]

Ooooh, congratulations, Mr. Prolific! That's a cool number. Wait 'til the 1000th post, now that would be something to celebrate!

Quote:
I heard the most god-awful thing the other day. It was Beethoven's Fur Elise, but it was a "Technical Remix" (as they called it)of the piece. [...] I would have rather heard fingernails sratching across a chalk board. Should I be scared? I should. You would be too, if you had heard it.[/b]

Hmmmm. What would be worse, Muzak interpretations of the classics or Techno renditions of the same, hmmmm.

Believe it or not, I have a recording of one of the members of Depeche Mode (either Martin Gore or Alan Wilder, who's not with DM anymore) playing the first movement of Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata. Scary? Well, there is one part (can't remember where) where a mistake was very obviously made. I cringe every time I hear it. Haven't heard it for years though, and I have it on vinyl, which is in storage in San Diego so I won't have the chance to choose to torture my ears over that until I go home next month.

Which reminds me (going off-topic for a bit) - I'm sure there are Piano forum members who are from San Diego lurking out there. Anyone up for a little San Diego (or even Southern California) get-together during the last couple of weeks of December? Just curious. \:\)

#374897 - 11/26/01 12:38 AM Re: BAAAAAAAAH! There should be a law against it!
jgoo Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ChemicalGrl:
Ooooh, congratulations, Mr. Prolific! That's a cool number. Wait 'til the 1000th post, now that would be something to celebrate![/b]

I make such comments every 100 posts. I made such posts on my 100th and 200th post as well and I will for my 400th 500th and so on. Its just something that I do. Sorry.

Now, that being said, I think that Josh is on the right track about the synthesizers. There is nothing eles that it could have been.

ChemicalGrl: Where can this recording be found? I would like to hear for myself what kind of a mistake was made and where. Sounds funny if you ask me. I'm surprised that they didn't re-record it.

#374898 - 11/26/01 01:42 AM Re: BAAAAAAAAH! There should be a law against it!
Rodion Offline

Loc: Salt Lake City
i used to be near san diego...but i left a few months ago...i love it in california!

#374899 - 11/26/01 09:37 AM Re: BAAAAAAAAH! There should be a law against it!
PianoMuse Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Philly, PA
Those remixes are actually (unfortnunatly) really really popular. they even play them in clubs! and you cannot look for classical music on the internet these days without running into those...

#374900 - 11/26/01 09:53 AM Re: BAAAAAAAAH! There should be a law against it!
ChemicalGrl Offline
500 Post Club Member

Quote:

I make such comments every 100 posts. I made such posts on my 100th and 200th post as well and I will for my 400th 500th and so on. Its just something that I do. Sorry.
[/b]

\:\( I didn't mean to come off in a criticising mood. It was meant to be complimentary. I've been on other bboards where we've celebrated 1000th posts, and everyone usually piled on in the congratulatory posts. I think I should be the one to apologise for not being clear enough in my comment.

Quote:

ChemicalGrl: Where can this recording be found? I would like to hear for myself what kind of a mistake was made and where. Sounds funny if you ask me. I'm surprised that they didn't re-record it.[/b]

It might be out of print. It was one of those import-type things I picked up back in the late-80s. It was the B-side to one of DM's singles off the "Music For the Masses" album. I'll be going home shortly before Christmas (12/21). Remind me again and I'll have a look at my collection and will be able to give you a more definitive answer.

#374901 - 11/26/01 03:59 PM Re: BAAAAAAAAH! There should be a law against it!
Penny Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: San Juan Capistrano, CA
Chemicalgal!

We SHOULD have another SoCal get-together. I think Niles Duncan (piano tech from Piano Forum) volunteered to have the next one. He's in Pasadena, which I know will be a drive for you. Joy is in Encinitas, just north of San Diego. Steve Miller is in Orange County and there are others scattered throughout the region. Last I checked, Niles had a 1920s Hamburg B in rosewood in his living room, but I know he sold it to someone who wanted him to store it for a bit. Don't know if it's still there or not. How about right after Christmas and before New Year's? The season is getting packed with events!

Would love to meetya!
penny

#374902 - 11/26/01 04:18 PM Re: BAAAAAAAAH! There should be a law against it!
ChemicalGrl Offline
500 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Penny:

Chemicalgal!

We SHOULD have another SoCal get-together.
[...]
Would love to meetya!
[/b]

That would indeed be lovely. Let me know some details and hopefully things'll work out. \:\) Feel free to send email: cartilagineol@hotmail.com

[ November 26, 2001: Message edited by: ChemicalGrl ]

#374903 - 11/26/01 04:18 PM Re: BAAAAAAAAH! There should be a law against it!
Dwain Lee Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Columbus, Ohio
I don't really have anything to say, I'm just posting this to see how many posts I've made

Dwain

#374904 - 11/26/01 09:46 PM Re: BAAAAAAAAH! There should be a law against it!
jgoo Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Quote:
I didn't mean to come off in a criticising mood. It was meant to be complimentary. I've been on other bboards where we've celebrated 1000th posts, and everyone usually piled on in the congratulatory posts. I think I should be the one to apologise for not being clear enough in my comment.[/b]

Apology accepted. Thankyou. Now, maybe I should appologize to you for getting mad over something stupid.

Quote:
Those remixes are actually (unfortnunatly) really really popular. they even play them in clubs! and you cannot look for classical music on the internet these days without running into those...[/b]

Yes. This is unfortunate. I couldn't stand listening to it. It was the first (and hopefully only) time that I have heard such a thing.

#374905 - 11/27/01 08:52 AM Re: BAAAAAAAAH! There should be a law against it!
ChemicalGrl Offline
500 Post Club Member

Quote:

Apology accepted. Thankyou. Now, maybe I should appologize to you for getting mad over something stupid.

[/b]

No problem. In such a medium as this, it's easy to have little misunderstandings because you only see words here, you don't hear vocal inflections or facial expressions. So we'll shake hands, smile and put it behind us. \:D

#374906 - 11/27/01 02:05 PM Re: BAAAAAAAAH! There should be a law against it!
Penny Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: San Juan Capistrano, CA
ChemicalGal,

Niles has agreed to hold the party! I will post an announcement on the Piano Forum as well. Well, let's see. The Saturday after Christmas is the 29th, isn't it? Hope you can drive to Pasadena. You're welcome to spend the night at my place, but I'm an hour north of there. And yes, he still has his Steinway Hamburg through mid-January! Olee, Will, you are new to the board since the last gathering. Can you make it?

penny

#374907 - 11/27/01 04:41 PM Re: BAAAAAAAAH! There should be a law against it!
ChemicalGrl Offline
500 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Penny:

Niles has agreed to hold the party! [...]

[/b]

Brill! \:\) I'm looking forward to that. Dec. 29th should be okay; I'll be in San Diego until the 1st Jan anyway. The only issue might be transportation as my mum told me that the car I drove when I was an undergrad was stolen a couple of weeks ago \:\( and it's usually the car I drive whenever I go home. But we'll see what happens.

I'm looking forward to meeting the SoCal group! \:\) ;\)

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
106 registered (AmateurBob, accordeur, Atrys, Alux, ADWyatt, 30 invisible), 1332 Guests and 20 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74236 Members
42 Forums
153567 Topics
2250642 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Yamaha Upright - Please help identify
by awyaks
04/19/14 01:00 AM
song i wrote. people in clubs love it
by jedplays
04/18/14 10:49 PM
Fazioli "factory tour" video.
by R_B
04/18/14 10:27 PM
Piano Science
by venice1
04/18/14 09:59 PM
MP7 vs MP11: only 6 differences?
by Marko in Boston
04/18/14 09:08 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission