2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
49 members (Cheeeeee, Carey, Dalem01, danno858, CharlesXX, Aleks_MG, accordeur, brdwyguy, 8 invisible), 2,059 guests, and 320 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#375744 04/08/08 06:09 PM
I feel your pain (more or less). I managed to develop a pinched nerve problem in my neck due to some posture issues and it affected my hands. The symptoms were very similar to Carpal Tunnel. I'm still dealing with it but its improved. So I know how uncomfortable it can be.

I would see a physician or chiropractor for a definitive diagnosis. Cushions and such will help alleviate your symptoms, but you need to get active again. Assuming your problem IS a pinched nerve, the sedentary lifestyle you are leading will cause this to become a chronic problem. And the longer you have this, the harder it will be to get rid of. The muscles that are pinching the nerves stiffen & shorten from inactivity so you will be dealing with this again later. Regular cardio-exercise like running or even walking will increase circulation (and therefore oxygen) to the affected areas and that will help you greatly. It sounds like you have a pretty busy schedule, but you really need to make time for this even if its only 30-45 minutes every other day. It will help clear your head too. Since you ran cross country, you probably already know the importance of stretching beforehand. The fact that you've done this before gives you a leg up (pardon the pun) on this. Start gradually at first and work up to a decent walk or jog.

Good luck !

#375745 04/08/08 06:23 PM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I always had problem with sitting.
As a child to sit at the piano for more than 20 minutes was torture, at school I would feel my body explode waiting for the bell...

Even as an adult, I incessantly walk, I cannot stay nailed at my desk for very long so when I have to read etc. I just get up for a coffee and read in standing, or "think in walking"..

You might htink of buying a stand for books like those who violinist use, to use it when you study home as much as you can; a good cushion will help you when out of home, and at home I'd say the best benches money can buy for both piano and computer.

I know it will be expensive but ehy, your *** is on the line...
(sorry, I coudn't resist......)

"The man that hath no music in himself / Nor is not mov'd with concord of sweet sounds / Is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils." (W.Shakespeare)

Kemble Conservatoire 335025 Walnut Satin
#375746 04/09/08 01:38 AM
B
B
I would highly recommend Alexander Technique. Do a google search. It's wonderful. It has helped me tremendously.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,302
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission