2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
34 members (benkeys, Burkhard, fullerphoto, Erinmarriott, David Boyce, 20/20 Vision, Animisha, beeboss, Cominut, brennbaer, 3 invisible), 1,329 guests, and 278 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#375949 12/09/02 02:50 PM
M
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
M
right, i need a concert styled piece, grade 8 +, for a guide i have just perfected Claire De Lune and i am able to play bits of La Campanella. it needs to be from 3-9 minutes long, and the concert is next winter (in December 2003). that would mean i have plenty of time to learn it and correct any hard bits, but im not expecting to play any 'virtuoso' Liszt pieces in that time in their entirety.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Max, I don't know what grade 8 is, but just last evening I heard a student play part of Debussy's Arabesque, No.1. Do you know it? It's totally gorgeous ... perhaps you could see if it's within range for you. I've added it to my list of pieces I want to learn ... eventually.

"Hunger for growth will come to you in the form of a problem." -- unknown
P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
Max,

Could you give us a bit more idea as to what your exact level of playing is? It's just that Clair de Lune is quite a straightforward, unadvanced piece, whereas La Campanella is a piece of astounding virtuosic trickiness. What other pieces can you play, for instance?

Anyway, I think maybe the Chopin 'Military' A Major Polonaise Op. 40 No.1, or a Waltz/Nocturne might make a good showpiece. In my experience, people love the C-sharp min Waltz especially.

Also the Hummel Sonata in Eb movement, which I just did for my grade 8, is a super piece, showy (good 'ol RH scales, and quite hard mind you, but could be practised to a high level.

Then again, those (esp the Chopin) are a bit small in scope, and my best recommendation to you would be a sort of 'beginner' virtuoso piece that's not too tough but still sounds real nice and flashy - Mendelssohn's Rondo Capriccioso Op. 14 in E. I reckon you could nicely hone it with time and produce a really nice finished version, something which I never got to do (that tempo can notch up pretty much ad infititum!).

Good luck!

M
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
M
Rondo Capriosso.....i never thought of playing that! I got halfway, but stopped to do Clair De Lune. I was thinking of doing a Chopin Ballad, maybe the Ab one, im not sure. Skill wise, well i can play bits from La Campanella (some of it's way to hard, so i skip it and do the next 'section'), and i can already play Arabesque (1 + 2, i prefer the 2nd one). I can play the rest of Suite BErgamasque, some (sketchy though) Chopin etudes, the slow one, and the one in C. And im thinking of finishing off playing all his preludes - only 4 more. Umm.....oh, i can play some of his waltzs (Db, F etc).

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,183
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission