2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
42 members (36251, Doug M., Davidnewmind, Dfrankjazz, brdwyguy, busa, benkeys, Burkhard, David Boyce, 6 invisible), 1,092 guests, and 255 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Elena,

Because I'm just doing some preliminary searching for music schools that I may want to apply to, I went to the NEC web page, but I couldn't find the music department's page!

Could you (or anyone else who may have it) provide a link?

Thanks!

Musically,
Benjamin Francis
http://www.myspace.com/benjaminfrancis
(I just changed my sig., so no grief, yeah?)
----------
Sofia Gilmson regarding Bach:
"Bach didn't write the subject; he wrote the fugue."
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Thanks, Phlebas!

Musically,
Benjamin Francis
http://www.myspace.com/benjaminfrancis
(I just changed my sig., so no grief, yeah?)
----------
Sofia Gilmson regarding Bach:
"Bach didn't write the subject; he wrote the fugue."
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Sounds like the DMA routine is a lot different than most other doctorate programs. By the time you apply for your PhD program, you've usually had to specialize down to the point of irrelevance.

The idea that even as a doctoral student you'd need to prove your well-roundedness isn't even considered for most PhDs.

Hence my confusion... is it just performance where this is an issue? Let's say Brendan wanted a doctorate in music history or theory, pretend. Could a degree program like that admit someone who wanted to become the world's expert on the development of the term "tutti" or other such esoterica, and that's all they really knew about?

Nina

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
PhD degrees in music are more specialized. In theory, musicology, or education, you will have a narrower specialization than a DMA.

Of course, I pitched quite a fit about this in my evaluations of my alma mater concerning DMA degrees. They asked for my opinion, and I told them that the general nature of the degree all but prohibits specialization. (I was rather annoyed that I couldn't specialize - I was actually criticized for the fact I didn't play any French music while I was there.)

Originally posted by Nina:
Sounds like the DMA routine is a lot different than most other doctorate programs. By the time you apply for your PhD program, you've usually had to specialize down to the point of irrelevance.

The idea that even as a doctoral student you'd need to prove your well-roundedness isn't even considered for most PhDs.

Hence my confusion... is it just performance where this is an issue? Let's say Brendan wanted a doctorate in music history or theory, pretend. Could a degree program like that admit someone who wanted to become the world's expert on the development of the term "tutti" or other such esoterica, and that's all they really knew about?

Nina

"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I will admit that is something that I've been curious about. A friend of mine received his Ph.D. in Composition. So I guess this means that his educational experience is more specific than someone going for the DMA?

And what kind of a degree is the DMA? Is it like a professional degree? (I guess I'm thinking Pharma.D. or M.D. as opposed to Ph.D.) And what can one do with the DMA besides teach and concertize?

Just curious.

Lyn F.

Regards,
Lyn F.
Think of it this way, if a PhD degree is research based, then the DMA is activity based. DMA people are those who are active as musicians, be it teaching or performing.

That's pretty much it - teach and perform, although the shape of that teaching and performing career can vary widely from person to person, and some will do one more than the other.

Originally posted by ChemicalGrl:
And what kind of a degree is the DMA? Is it like a professional degree? (I guess I'm thinking Pharma.D. or M.D. as opposed to Ph.D.) And what can one do with the DMA besides teach and concertize?

Just curious.

Lyn F.

"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,183
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission